Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Losin' the WRX - Gettin' the Z. Performance or Enthusiast?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005 | 11:32 PM
JP_WRX

Default Losin' the WRX - Gettin' the Z. Performance or Enthusiast?

Ok. I'm planning on buying an 05 Perf or Enthus Z right as the 06's come out. Yes, money is an issue My question: The VDC and 18" wheels seem to be the only real difference between the 2 models (I just spent the past hour at Nissan's website and others) and the Enthusiast is about $2k cheaper.

I plan on getting 19"s soon after the purchase anyway, so the wheels don't matter much to me. So it comes down to the VDC. I understand what it does and why it's there, but in daily, even spirited driving, how often does it really come into effect? Is it really worth the extra money? (I wonder if it would since I've gotten so used to just gassin' it and going, not having to worry about traction with the Rex..single tear)

Also, how will it be affected, if at all, by the addition of bigger wheels and tires?

Thanks for your input, it's all welcome. I just don't want to be regretting my choice after a couple months.

While I'm here and on the subject, anybody who got their 04 Z around the time the 05's came out...what kind of deal were you able to get due to the timing of your purchase? Thanks again.

Soon to be a REAL member...
Old 04-27-2005 | 11:38 PM
VeeTec

I would leave the VDC off if I had it.

Well, actually I do, with my Armada, but didn't get it with my Z.

You should be able to get an Enthusiast for around $26K now.
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:41 AM
taurran

Go enthusiast. VDC is just a pain in the *** anyway, I only use it if it's raining hard outside.
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:58 AM
Jimmy Haze

I would say, go enthusiast. Going aftermarket will save you money, plus looks better anyways. I never like using VDC, and I hate the way VDC keeps turning on when you turn her on. Save the cash and go with some sweet aftermarket rims. VDC, IMO isn't worth it. Unless you can keep it off, and then turn it on when you need it. But can be useful in the rain as taurran stated.

The rebates for the previous year are better than the current year. So when you buy the 05 in 06 you can keep some extra cash in your pocket. Use that cash to get rim/tires.
Old 04-28-2005 | 05:00 AM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by taurran
Go enthusiast. VDC is just a pain in the *** anyway, I only use it if it's raining hard outside.
I know the textbook differences between VDC & TCS, but whether or not TCS would have saved me in my past situations, I couldn't tell you. I don't think it's a pain in the ***, it has definitely helped me several times already, especially in the rain. I only turn it off if it's clear & dry outside.
Old 04-28-2005 | 05:59 AM
Landbarger

I don't really see that it's come to play much...I don't regret it since I bought mine used anyway, but if I were going back and buying new I'd get the Enthusiast and buy wheels. And good choice, what's happening to the WRX?
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:08 AM
teh215

The question I would ask is does having the VDC lower your insurance. I don't know but, it might.
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:19 AM
Landbarger

My insurance had the Enthu and Perf listed the same when I went to add the Z.
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:23 AM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by Landbarger
My insurance had the Enthu and Perf listed the same when I went to add the Z.
My insurance company just gave me a quote when I said 2004 Nissan 350Z. They didn't ask for the trim.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:17 AM
Camel

I think the VDC is great and I was unwilling to buy a car without it. *shrug* In your situation I'd have bought a Performance for sure. I've tested the VDC in the canyons a few times and it was impressive. I actually tried to get the car sideways by hitting s-turns way too fast and flooring it in 2nd gear and I couldn't. I shut the VDC off and the car was very tail happy and spun the tires too much on uphill turns... fun, sure, but far from safe on a public road. Its peace of mind and either you think it's worth it or you don't. As much as we all like to think we're professional race car drivers, the majority of us are far from it in reality. I also came from a WRX as my weekend car, and that thing was idiot-proof in the twisties compared to the Z with VDC off. That car had a tendency towards understeer if anything, and even on the rare occasion I pushed it too hard and got her drifting all it took was some throttle/brake modulation to get it back online. If you opt not to get VDC, and you don't have extensive experience driving a RWD car with lots of torque, be very careful until you get a feel for how it's going to handle.

Last edited by Camel; 04-28-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:17 AM
Jrb300z

I didn't think I would need VDC, but I got it anyway and it sure saved me a bunch of money when I had to swerve to miss a kamikazee deer one evening. I believe that was the difference between me staying on the road or going off into the woods. It nice having that saftey net there for those unexpected situations.
Old 04-28-2005 | 08:24 AM
MadMax76

VDC is the only reason I ordered Performance model. My safety worth 2Gs I think.
Old 04-28-2005 | 08:32 AM
JP_WRX

Thanks for the great input guys! Love this place.

Landbarger / Camel - The WRX will be sold, most likely as a trade in. Don't think I'll have the time to go the private seller way. It was a friggin blast while I had it though. No regrets. I'm 26 now and figured that if I was ever going to get a 2 seater sports car, now's the time (wife, kids, etc on the horizon). As much as I love the sound of that turbo spooling and the BOV releasing, a STOCK Z is one of the nicest sounding vehicles I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Not to mention the looks and performance

So, it sounds like you can turn it off, like traction control in some cars, correct?

Anybody have an idea what the 18" Z tires/wheels are going for these days (since I'd be sellling them right away if I were to get the Performance).
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:13 AM
Jrb300z

[QUOTE=JP_WRX]So, it sounds like you can turn it off, like traction control in some cars, correct?

Yes, but you have to push the button every time you start the car if you want it off.

Anybody have an idea what the 18" Z tires/wheels are going for these days (since I'd be sellling them right away if I were to get the Performance).

Check in the classifieds or the wheels section of this forum and you can probably get an idea of what they would go for.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:22 AM
Camel

Yeah, there is an "off" button for VDC. I believe once you turn it off, it stays off until you restart the car though...
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:51 PM
zshiznit

you press the button and its off...you press it again and its back on! can it get any easier?! but yeah once you turn your car off it resets it to the on mode.

where did you get your radar detector mod thing from and how much was it?

Last edited by zshiznit; 04-28-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:07 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by teh215
The question I would ask is does having the VDC lower your insurance. I don't know but, it might.
I doubt vdc would lower any more than tcs would lower it so thats kind of besides the point...

VDC is better... that said I have TCS and it has saved me. I wouldn't mind having a performance b/c of the nicer wheels and VDC but if your planning up upgrading the wheels I wouldn't think it was worth it.
Old 04-29-2005 | 01:11 AM
ppw350Zunit

Originally Posted by MadMax76
VDC is the only reason I ordered Performance model. My safety worth 2Gs I think.
i thought the same thing.
Old 04-29-2005 | 01:50 PM
LIdrew

I too have been saved by the VDC. I keep it on in rain and most of the time during the winter when my POS potenzas can't hook up in the cold.
Old 04-29-2005 | 04:18 PM
rolling

i like it, glad it came with it, theres mod available to keep vdc offof you need that , it like 60$

Quick Reply: Losin' the WRX - Gettin' the Z. Performance or Enthusiast?