Sponsored by:

The Economics of being Zless

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Zless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The Economics of being Zless

Hello to all!

Congratulations to the creators and sustainers of this forum, surely the best of its kind. I was a visitor to z.car.com before it went downhill, but even at its best, it can't compare to this site.

I was the proud owner of a 1990 300ZX NA HARDTOP with various aftermarket modifications until last year when I sold it in anticipation of the upcoming 350Z (I thought its value would be diminish markedly once the 350Z was properly introduced). I have missed the car dearly (I am forced to drive a 1994 M6 LS as a poor substitue) and have longed to purchase something that will satiate my automotive desires. I know the 350Z will be that something.

The problem I face is reconciling my strong IMMEDIATE desire for the car with my knowledge that from an economic perspective buying a relatively new vehicle on the private market could save me an easy 10 or 12 K (cdn) overall (when you include freight PDI and applicable taxes). Is there anyone out there who could make economic sense of purchasing the car new vs almost new such that I won't exist as a conflicted person Zless? I would be most grateful
Old 05-07-2002, 02:33 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

• With a new car you get a warranty. If anything goes wrong, it's not your problem (financially, anyway).
  • Resale value may be improved because you are the "original owner". That counts for a lot with some buyers. You will also be careful to keep all service records (right?), which will also be more valuable when it comes time to resell.
  • You can't put a price on that new-car smell!
Old 05-07-2002, 03:45 AM
roberto350z

Default economics

i had a 300zx and was paying $250 a month for the loan. then the tranny went out, then the alternator went out, then the adjustable shocks malfunctioned, then a strut broke, then the T-top broke, then an electrical problem under the dash, then I had to replace taillight seals, then the brakes went out, then I needed tires, then I was told turbo has an oil bearing leak...thats when i said fu*k you to my ZX and sold it! I HAD THIS CAR FOR A YEAR AND A HALF. The math works out to about 250 extra bucks a month for repairs (I did not fix the turbo...couldnt imagine price to fix). and for some reason the insurance for the stupid thing was more than a porche boxter, Z3, s2000 etc. (guess cuz of turbos?)

this car was purchased from a middleaged woman...original owner driven 70k miles

so $500 a month for a 10 year old car with dings already in place and interior wear and tear? ha! leasing a new car is about the same, but you GET A NEW CAR.