Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any reason to actually pass on the side airbags/head curtains option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:29 PM
green tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason to actually pass on the side airbags/head curtains option?

Just wondering if its actually worth saving a few bucks and passing on this option?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
SB Track

I'd pass it. It makes it more complicated if you want to change your seats or add leather. The only reason I got it is because they didn't offer Track models with navigation without the airbag option. BUT... It may be good sometime in the future in an accident?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:39 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't hurt to have them.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 AM
zerog

Well i guess they are there for extra security. If you get into accident when someone hits the side of you. So your head doesnt bash into the door/window lol... is up to you tho.
ZeroG
Old 05-13-2005, 04:51 AM
MA4

They are a waste of money, I bought them and have never had to use them. I sometimes think I have no common sense.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:59 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Can't hurt to have them.
Sure it could. People still die every year from airbags. A good ole seat belt is good enough for me.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:20 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

With all due consideration to other viewpoints, are you guys nuts? Why would you not want all the safety devices you can get? The Z is a small car driven very fast by most who own them. Probability wise, some people are gonna get smacked hard from a side impact. The bags will save head injuries in such cases. And the fact that airbags save far more lives than injuries caused is a statistical certainty.

I don't have the side airbags because I could not find a Z with the bags plus other items I wanted. But if I had the option, I'd take 'em in a heart beat.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Z-INCOGNITO

when i got my Z, Side Airbags were one of my MUST have items... guess we all have different views... far more important than 19inch rims
Old 05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Z-Stalker

Side airbags are a must in any car I buy now if they're an option. If they're not available I'll be looking at something else as a daily driver.

I can drop a $100 out for dinner/drinks easy. Is it worth 6 bar trips to have side airbag protection when some moron in a 6000 lb SUV creams me in the side? Hell yeah.

Also, statistically side air bags are showing they reduce injuries much more than front airbags do (comparing a front collision to a side collision).

Z-Stalker
Old 05-13-2005, 10:41 AM
bstansbu

I had to have them in my Z. Gives that warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing a bag or air will hit my head first rather than my head snapping into the glass from a side impact crash or rollover for that matter. Only thing that makes me a little nervous is the fact that I am not comfortable in my Z unless my left arm is propped up on the window ledge. Im thinking that if they deploy my whole arm is going to get knocked off. BEN
Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
tsixr

Plus most insurance companies will give you some sort of discount if you have side curtain airbags, but yes, not having the side of your head bashed in would probably be a better reason to get them.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:21 AM
ANXIOUZ

The airbags helped me convince the wife to get the Z. I told her "2 doors, 2 seats, 6 airbags, and large brakes". Sold.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
kpiskin

You can't put a price on your life. Plus the side impact airbags will lower your insurance costs, so you'll get the money you spent on the airbags back. Don't forget that you are in a small car, and despite how safe you drive it's the other guy in the 1973 Buick Electra who will kill you:-)
Old 05-13-2005, 11:34 AM
ANXIOUZ

Plus there's always these clips.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
SB Track

Correction: I don't think they lower the cost of insurance. My company did not even ask.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
teh RedUnit

Originally Posted by SB Track
Correction: I don't think they lower the cost of insurance. My company did not even ask.
Maybe you should of asked them? I also had the impression that better safety would give you lower insurance rates. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:14 PM
bixby

Actually you should pass on them. My daughter is a Volunteer Firefighter & talked me out of them. She claimed that in a serious accident if you're trapped in the car they will not cut you out because they don't know where the canisters are on cars with side bags and if they were to cut into one well, that wouldn't be good.

Most emergency response teams don't carry "Jaws of Life" only chain saws. So if you're stuck you're screwed until someone with the jaws shows up.

So, based on my loved ones input I passed. Of course the likelyhood of being in an accident where you end up trapped is probably just a bit lower than winning the lotto. But it'd be just my luck!

If they're are any full time firefighters on here that can confirm or elaborate, or even deny please do so. I of course never questioned my daughter on this. It sounded pretty good to me plus "like mother like daughter" why bother?

Thanks!

Last edited by bixby; 05-13-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
kpiskin

Actually I think that might be a code in the VIN, so they may not need to ask. Maybe I'm wrong. I made sure I told USAA that mine had them and an alarm. They list the discounts I get on my semi annual statement, I can double check there.

As far as the jaws of life issue is concerned, that will only possibly delay getting you out of the car. Having your head traumatized due to lack of airbags could result in death. I'm sure that if they truly weren't safety features or proven to save lifes car manufacturers wouldn't put them in their cars. They have past crash data, R&D results and crash dummy testing to support their use.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:06 PM
air coryell

I was in an accident this winter, in my other non-Z car. The other driver smashed through my drivers door. my head ended up banging into the window/molding. I ended up with a decent cut across my head, and ear. And this was with the drivers window not being broken. Its one of those purchases that you hope you never use, but you should be glad that you have it just in case. I'd always recomend it.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:51 PM
rolling

DEFINATLY get them!!!! i had mine sideways once (not on purpose) with a passenger,
i was headed right for a telephone pole!!! luckily I corected enought to just graze the back corner, We BOTH were glad that there was side bags!!! if we hit the srely would have minimized injury!!

Insurance discount or not they should be STANDARD!!!
my ins co (american family) does give discounts
and there is more resale value too!

Quick Reply: Any reason to actually pass on the side airbags/head curtains option?