Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Grounding kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 06:05 AM
bucknaked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding kits

Where do I find the custom grounding kits posted? Are they any good?
Old 11-28-2002, 07:15 AM
sdpearso

I have the Nissan Earthing kit for sale. I'm asking $80 shipped. It's still new in the box, fastners are still in the sealed plastic bag, ...

I bought and installed the Hyperground kit 'cause I wanted the silver color.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:30 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: Grounding kits

Originally posted by bucknaked
Where do I find the custom grounding kits posted? Are they any good?
Do a forum search.

VQRacer posted a length thread on how to build one yourself. Other members have offers to sell DIY kits as well (such as Skidazlle).

I think all I have seen have been <$100
Old 11-28-2002, 07:31 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by sdpearso
I have the Nissan Earthing kit for sale. I'm asking $80 shipped. It's still new in the box, fastners are still in the sealed plastic bag, ...

Hey sdpearso.. you got any more pix of your car? I'm liking those rims you have on yours and would love to see some more shots!
Old 11-28-2002, 07:39 AM
dmcgibbo

i'm really sorry i am a newbie but what does an aftermarket grounding/earthing kit do for you?
Old 11-28-2002, 09:09 AM
Stailey

what does a grounding kit do????

thats something i have no clue about...sorry
Old 11-28-2002, 09:13 AM
nosuchsol

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
i'm really sorry i am a newbie but what does an aftermarket grounding/earthing kit do for you?
Do a search, or check out the Modifications section. There's plenty of people already explaining or trying to explain it. Less resistance is the key term.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:20 AM
dmcgibbo

haha thanks. i already did a search and it said that the rpm was lower and it helped out air conditioning. hmm i wonder how much they are and if they actually do much or if they are a lot of $ for not that much upgrade. you know some mods are cheap and are great while other ones are ok/good but they cost a lot...
Old 11-28-2002, 10:04 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

contact SkiDDAzzle, he has a nice kit for sale. Very nice. I'd get it.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:57 AM
OP Z

Lightbulb New Approach to the grounding kit

I went an an auto parts store looking for 4 awg wire to make my own kit and found that an inexpensive grounding "system" can be bought for less than $25. Look for replacement battery cables/starter cables and you will find a nice variety of black cables in sizes that come complete with the crimped connector already installed.

It may not be as pretty as the lightning audio cable, but I'm sure it will be just as effective. Not to mention you won't need to worry about finding or buying a crimping tool.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Canadian350Z

Rec'd Skidazzle's today. Looks AWESOME!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:15 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

dmc-

You might want to do a little more thorough search (hint: they are called grounding or earthing kits)

There is a post of one member showing a small measured hp gains using the Hyperground kit.

However, the main benefit is smoother engine performance...which is not a small benefit.

JD
Old 11-28-2002, 09:20 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

It always seems strange to me when Americans call it an "Earthing" kit, which is a British term. In the US, we speak of electrically grounding something (like the third prong on the plug to ground it), and in England they talk about "Earth" and "Earthing" instead of ground and grounding. How people picked up the British word for this application is a little mysterious: maybe it's from British car forums?

(I'm not saying this is wrong or anything, just pointing out a curious fact. Usage tends to shape definitions, so if everyone keeps calling them Earthing kits, then this will become the "correct" term by definition.)

Edit: come to think of it, it is especially ironic for "Earthing" to be used for this particular application, since it comes from connecting something to the Earth (I guess ground is the same thing) but in this case ground/earth in a car is just a common connection to the chassis and we never actually ground it, in fact being insulated from true ground/earth by the rubber tires. (OK, I'm rambling now, sorry.)

Last edited by z350z; 11-28-2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:53 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by z350z
Edit: come to think of it, it is especially ironic for "Earthing" to be used for this particular application, since it comes from connecting something to the Earth (I guess ground is the same thing) but in this case ground/earth in a car is just a common connection to the chassis and we never actually ground it, in fact being insulated from true ground/earth by the rubber tires. (OK, I'm rambling now, sorry.)
That Turkey must have been an inspiration for ya tonight eh?
Old 11-29-2002, 01:26 AM
Brando222
Ziologist

Hey SDpearso (Shaun), I'll take that Nissan kit off your hands, I emailed you privately. Let me know thanks.

Brandon
Old 11-29-2002, 05:34 PM
zPilott

Originally posted by z350z
It always seems strange to me when Americans call it an "Earthing" kit, which is a British term. In the US, we speak of electrically grounding something (like the third prong on the plug to ground it), and in England they talk about "Earth" and "Earthing" instead of ground and grounding. How people picked up the British word for this application is a little mysterious: maybe it's from British car forums?

(I'm not saying this is wrong or anything, just pointing out a curious fact. Usage tends to shape definitions, so if everyone keeps calling them Earthing kits, then this will become the "correct" term by definition.)

I think that the reason that some people refer to it as "Earthing" is because the first kit on the market for the was was the one from NISMO, which is advertized as an "Earthing' kit.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:31 AM
sdpearso

Default Re: Re: Grounding kits

Originally posted by flynnibus
Do a forum search.

VQRacer posted a length thread on how to build one yourself. Other members have offers to sell DIY kits as well (such as Skidazlle).

I think all I have seen have been <$100
That's actually a photoshop that 8072 did of the NISMO car. I bought the kit and it's getting painted. I'll have pics of that in the coming week. As for the wheels, they are the wheels on the NISMO car posted all over this forum. My wheels were just ordered.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....e&pagenumber=2
Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 AM
sdpearso

Originally posted by sdpearso

This has been sold. Thanks to everyone that replied.

-Shaun