Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Test Drives? How willing are they...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
ind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership Test Drives? How willing are they...

If you've had a chance to test drive a Z from the dealership, how was your experience?

Did you find it was fairly easy to schedule a test drive, or a hassle? I don't think dealerships want to make it difficult for anyone to buy a car, and that usually includes taking it for a test drive... but I'm sure there is a bit of caution when they hand over the keys to a sports car.

Cheers,
Old 05-17-2005, 04:08 PM
ZBoater

Here they dont hand over the keys - a sales persons comes with you, and usually drives the car out first and then switches with you. They also photocopy your license and insurance card.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealers, not all, will be very stereotypical when it comes to test drives. If you are 18-21 years old and go in without your parents, I dont care how much money you have, most dealers will not let you drive it. If you find one that will let you test drive, dont expect to go for a ride with your friend or alone. The salesmen will most likely drive it off the lot with you as the passenger then after a while let you take the wheel for a little while. The dealership must also have enough Z where they can afford a few demos or test drive models. This may not be true for all but im guessing most dealerships will be like this. BEN
Old 05-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Dildorado

I had to fight them to get to test drive the car, but since they had a used 04 ZR, i managed to try it after lots of convincing.

Testing the S2000 was a lot harder, they wanted a $500 deposit non-refundable and me to sign a contract where If i enjoyed the ride i had to buy the car. I laughed at them, finally it took me $2000 refundable to take it for a test drive. It was refunded, but being treated like that kinda pissed me off, but then I can't blame them.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 PM
green tea

I found it easy to get a test drive. However, I didn't just show up there one day and ask for a test drive. I did the routine, send a couple of dealers an e-mail inquiring about the Z and the best price they can offer me. Yada, yada, yada, week later i made an appointment to test drive the car. The salesman didn't even photocopy my license or ask for it (beats me). The internet sales person did ask me questions like what other competiting cars I am currently looking at, can i drive stick, and my age. Surprised it was that easy to test drive a few cars, considering i'm only a college student. Your best bet is to probalby send the Stalership(S) an e-mail to inquire about the car(s) and talk over the phone first before you set up a date for a test drive to help alleviate their concerns of how you might just want a joy ride

Last edited by green tea; 05-17-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:34 PM
BOtis528

It's all about the relationship between the customer and the salesman. Also as previously stated, it's all about 'class', as in social order. Some 18 year old kid comes ripping into the dealership begging for a solo test drive...of course the dealer would feel pesimistic. I myself am 18 years old, and got not one but two test drives (one for 2 hours), but only because I was with my dad who is frequent visitor and friend of a few of the salesman employed at our dealership.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:35 PM
cloudy

When i wanted to get my Z when i was 16, the dealer let me test drive it . But this guy was a fleet manager, and he happened to be from the same european country as i was, so he liked me more :P.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Masterfulks

They more or less pushed a test drive on me...

I asked if they had a black one, and the guy goes "let me get the keys..."

Then we were off.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
HokieZ

I bought my Z because of the way they let me test drive it. I showed up, a guy I know had called before hand to tell them I was coming, they tossed me they keys, and told me to have fun. Took the car for 2 hours, and came back a week later and bought it.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:21 PM
jrd33

I was 21 and I had no problem test driving 4 different cars at 3 dealerships. I had a PPW in South Philly doing 95 down some back road. I wasn't to good at stick at the time so I was burning the clutch like crazy. The sales guy was in the car with me the whole time and didn't say anything.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was allowed to dog mine and bounce off of the rev limiter Of couse I didn't buy that one haha
Old 05-17-2005, 05:29 PM
cloudy

Originally Posted by jrd33
I was 21 and I had no problem test driving 4 different cars at 3 dealerships. I had a PPW in South Philly doing 95 down some back road. I wasn't to good at stick at the time so I was burning the clutch like crazy. The sales guy was in the car with me the whole time and didn't say anything.
Haha ya they wont say anything, cause they are secreltyl hopeing you mess something up or crash the car so you have to buy it .. lol
Old 05-17-2005, 05:33 PM
RED HOT Z

I bought mine when I was 19 and the f***ers wouldn't let me drive it they told me I had to bring my parents so I went to another dealer and they let me no problem I ended up buying it. The next day I went in to see some accesories at the dealer that rejected me and the salesman noticed me. He asked me if I brought my parents and I told him no but I brought my new Z. You can tell he was pist dumb phucker lost a sale.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:09 PM
StevenZ

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
I bought mine when I was 19 and the f***ers wouldn't let me drive it they told me I had to bring my parents so I went to another dealer and they let me no problem I ended up buying it. The next day I went in to see some accesories at the dealer that rejected me and the salesman noticed me. He asked me if I brought my parents and I told him no but I brought my new Z. You can tell he was pist dumb phucker lost a sale.
That is funny. I'll have to try that!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM
wj4

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
haha, my friend did that too. but with a diff car. he bought an sti when they first came to the states. the kid has very rich parents and is spoiled. he went to one dealership and they basically laughed at him. he went to a diff dealership and bought one...went back to the 1st dealership that night and talked to the salesman and said that he doesnt need a test drive anymore lol
Old 05-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walked up got in the car and started driving ... what else should I have expected?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:28 PM
lane myers

actually, at the dealership i bought mine from, its really difficult to get a test drive - no matter who you are. they had let this guy test drive a db 04 and the guy hit 110 in a 45 (on the road the dealer is located on no less!), a car pulled out in front of him, not much reaction time at 110, the guy swurved (spelling?) and totalled the z. lucky, the dumba** hit hurt anyone, just the z. he had to pay the sticker for his totalled z, and since then - that particular dealership is really touchy with test driving the z.

i was lucky, i am friend of the dealer owner's child (follow that? ) and didnt have a test drive hang up... but i have heard of no test drive problems at any of the other dealers around here - if you're willing to talk about buying the car - they're willing to put you behind the wheel.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Leslie

Of all the dealers that we have been to, in vegas that is, the first thing outta their mouth is "test drive? test drive? second thing, lets go do some numbers " Geez? can we just take a look at the car first?

Hence why we bought it from performance nissan.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 PM
iheartZ

Originally Posted by bstansbu
Most dealers, not all, will be very stereotypical when it comes to test drives. If you are 18-21 years old and go in without your parents, I dont care how much money you have, most dealers will not let you drive it. If you find one that will let you test drive, dont expect to go for a ride with your friend or alone. The salesmen will most likely drive it off the lot with you as the passenger then after a while let you take the wheel for a little while. The dealership must also have enough Z where they can afford a few demos or test drive models. This may not be true for all but im guessing most dealerships will be like this. BEN
im 19 and i went in to purchase a z and they let me test drive it no prob. at both dealerships (gwinett and Mall of georgia). maybe i got lucky
Old 05-17-2005, 08:03 PM
nitrousoxidex

I hate it when stupid as dealers or whatever kinda workers that diss u just because you're young. sometimes i juss have to friggin get them back somehow.

Quick Reply: Dealership Test Drives? How willing are they...