2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any fixes for these problems???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 05:35 PM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any fixes for these problems???

I'm at 500 miles. This is what I've noticed so far..

1) After rain or washing the car, you dry it off completely, but when you roll the windows down, then back up, water all over the windows? Why's this? Fix?

2) Shifting is easy from all gears EXCEPT from 5th to 6th. Sometimes it feels as if there is a block from 5th to 6th, such as when your going 40mph and try to go into 1st, there is a block. Anyone else notice this? Fix?

3) One the Cold/Hot needle, the needle is never exactly half way. EVERYTIME my car is on and has been for atleast 20-30mins, it's slightly below half way. Why's this?

4) When opening the cup holder, it doesn't really completely open up untill you play with it for a few seconds, shouldnt it just pop open when you open it?

5) Water plumbing, after a wash, you open the doors, there is water next to the kickplates. You open the hatch, there is water on the siding inside the hatch. You open the hood, water falls from the tip of the hood to the middle of the engine. Water drips from the side mirrors too. Any fix for this, or jsut deal with it?

Anyone else experience these problems? Mines a superblack enthusiast 6mt. If it means anything. Anyone got any fixes to any of these problems? Nissan willing to comment or do anything for these? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Ricky
Banned

PS-Does that car warmer stuff really work? They are like warming kits for 50bucks or something. Anyone know anything about this for the Z and if they work? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Electro Z

Default lETS SEE IF i CAN

answer some of your questions..

You will get water on windows due to the type of rubber used for the seal.. its not supposed to keep all the water out.

if you have a prob going from fifth to sixth then take your Z into the shop.. it has a problem.. it shouldnt do that.

Needles are very .. ummm... non linear things.. every one will be slightly different... in the manuel it states it can be anywhere between certian marks.... get service if it goes past the hot line.

again.. the inside rubber seal is for keeping the rain. or water out of the cab.. but the outer seal is for rattles and some airflw water flow.. but not to keep out all the water... there are weep holes in the bottom of the door to drain the water that gets past the window rubber.. IF YOU WAX YOUR STEP THEN WIPE THE WEEP HOLES IN THE DOORS THEN YOU WILL MINIMIZE THE DRIPS.. SAME WITH THE MIRRORS... wOOPS... caps on.. sorrry...

each vehicle has drips and drains.. locate them and do what I do.. use lots of towels and cover tehm and wip em up as you go..

No problems .. well.. its life and all....

good luck..

EZ
Attached Thumbnails Any fixes for these problems???-side-of-z-glossy-small1.jpg  
Old 11-28-2002, 08:52 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Maybe it's just me, but none of these seem to be "problems" except maybe the 5-6 shifting thing. But you also mention problems shifting to 1st at 40mph, which you should never do anyway (and most trannys will make it hard), so I wonder if your 5-6 shifts are also taking place in an inappropriate context.

Who says needles have to be exactly 1/2 way up the dial? If this is bugging you, then I'm afraid you will have hundreds of things driving you crazy with any vehicle. I would just try to enjoy the drive and don't sweat the small stuff!

At what speeds are you trying to shift 5-6 when the problem occurs?
Old 11-29-2002, 09:19 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: Any fixes for these problems???

Originally posted by Ricky
I'm at 500 miles. This is what I've noticed so far..

1) After rain or washing the car, you dry it off completely, but when you roll the windows down, then back up, water all over the windows? Why's this? Fix?
Thats a deal with it. Don't roll the windows down for awhile after a wash.

2) Shifting is easy from all gears EXCEPT from 5th to 6th.
5->6 is a down and OVER movement. Are you pushing to the right as you shift? Its not a straight down pull like 3->4

such as when your going 40mph and try to go into 1st, there is a block.

Waoh! Don't do that. Crap.. I barely go into first unless I'm stopped, and stuck there awhile. You're killing your sychros and engine by trying to over-rev it with a downshift like that. Save 1st for complete stops.

3) One the Cold/Hot needle, the needle is never exactly half way. EVERYTIME my car is on and has been for atleast 20-30mins, it's slightly below half way. Why's this?
What makes you think it should be exactly half way? If this scares you.. don't look at your oil guage..

5) Water plumbing, after a wash, you open the doors, there is water next to the kickplates. You open the hatch, there is water on the siding inside the hatch. You open the hood, water falls from the tip of the hood to the middle of the engine. Water drips from the side mirrors too. Any fix for this, or jsut deal with it?
Thats how its supposed to be. What I do is just open all the hatches, etc when I go the dry the car. Its not a ton.. and one time is enough to get all the excess that will roll out of the areas.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:43 PM
ZON

With the exception of problem 1 all the things you mentioned are normal and inherent in all cars I know of.

As for #1 i think you are just doing it wrong. Like the guy said before, it is not straight down. It is downward and to the right.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:49 PM
knihc2008

man he has a lot of points
Old 11-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Ricky
Banned

Thanks guys. And to clear it up, I never shift into first, it was an anaolog (spelling) that it locks up, but I didn't know it was an over movement. On the little steel plate over the ****, It shows it as a "Stright down" movement, such as 3rd->4th, doesn't it? But thanks! And as far as everything else is concerned, thats normal huh? Bummer. It didn't happen on my celica, but then again the Z a billion and one things that make up for the celica . Thanks guys. I appericate the help.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:41 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Thanks guys. And to clear it up, I never shift into first, it was an anaolog (spelling) that it locks up, but I didn't know it was an over movement. On the little steel plate over the ****, It shows it as a "Stright down" movement, such as 3rd->4th, doesn't it?
Pull out of first without any side to side strength and you will not end up in 2nd either!

The shifter is sprung obviously so part of it is fighting that.. and also they need to make it easy to downshift.. so those are why its slightly offset.

Just be concious that its not a straight down pull.. and you'll forget about it in a week.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:57 PM
Ricky
Banned

This is how it shows it on the little steel plate...

1 3 5

2 4 6 R

When I shift 1->2, it's stright down. 3->4th, stright down, but 5->6th isn't stirght now? Interesting..
Old 11-30-2002, 09:15 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Its straight down because you are used to it... try shifting with just one finger pulling it down. You can't.. because the spring pulls it over.. its the same thing on 6th.. but they also have to worry about making downshifts to 4th easy without having you pull over and accidentially hit 2nd! so.. since it would be worse to accidentially downshift into 4th or 2nd.. they make you push to 6th a little bit.

Yes we know what your shifter looks like.. its the same as ours. Its a pattern.. not a GPS map.

BTW.. your dealer should have covered this when you bought it as well.

Last edited by flynnibus; 11-30-2002 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:57 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flynnibus is just trying to emphasize that the default lateral shifter position is between 3 and 4. Therefore, if you pull straight down from 5 without making sure to put a sideways pressure away from you, the spring will pull the shifter towards 4 and you will often end up between 4 and 6 against the gate. If you are already being careful to guide the shifter into 6, and are still having some trouble, it may be simply because the gearbox is new. My gearbox was pretty tight for the first thousand miles or so, but it's gotten considerably looser now that I have 5000 miles on the car. When I first got the car I would get stuck going into 6th every once in a while, but it doesn't seem to happen anymore. Either I've become more used to shifting, or the tranny has loosened. Either way, you should be fine after a little more driving.

I've noticed all your other concerns as well, and they are just part of owning the car. My temp gauge also stops just before even, but my old Nissan and Ford trucks almost never made it up off the peg, so the Z seems to be calibrated pretty well in my mind.

-D'oh!