Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

To all the people skidding out in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 05:20 PM
z461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all the people skidding out in the snow

Just wondering.. don't you have like a 4wd winter vehicle w/ M+S tires?? Please don't tell me you all blew money on one car-- the Z, and use it for winter AND summer. Just sounds dangerous to me. I keep on seeing these posts about people skidding out, etc... What did you expect? It's RWD and on summer tires!
Old 12-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Ohio350z

It is not the car, it is the damm stock tires. Bridgestone claims they are all season. These stock tires are a huge dissapointment both in the summer and winter. The Z will pull .98g on the skid pad if you put the same tires the Infinity G35C has. Nissan tried to save a few bucks and I think they made a big mistake. I like driving the car in the winter, it handels just fine. Spending $5-10k on a second car is a waste of money and I would rather put that cash to work in some nice mods such as new 18" rims, Pilot Sports, a new stereo, and a front and rear set of Brembos.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:48 PM
Track_350Z

I don't know if it's the stock tires but the Z drives like crap in the snow. I tried it today for the first time & will be leaving the car at home in the future if it snows. I could not even get the car home tonight.

I don't know if other tires would make a difference but recomend a second vehicle. Even if it's just a beater.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Ohio350z

Enough already, if you can't drive your Z in the snow with Blizzaks, Traction Control, and antilock brakes you shouldn't be driving anything period. Go drive another Z that has winter tires and you won't even believe the difference. It is all about the tires, they suck. Just to give you an idea of how bad "summer tires" are, GM a little while had a bunch of corvettes with Z rated tires on a skid pad. The tires got so hard that one person could push the car sideways on the snow because the rubber got so hard. Blizzaks and other winter tires are made from super soft rubber compound with silica mixed into the rubber. These tires actually can grip on shear ice. I guarntee you that a Z with Blizzaks on it gets better traction than a 4x4 with all season tires on ice or black ice. Get a grip people, get a set of winter tires and you will be able to enjoy your z year round. In Europe, people drive their sports cars and sedans year round. They use winter tires, all season tires are a waste of time, you loose performance in the summer and they still suck in the winter. A set of blizzaks run $750 a set and will last you 4 years. Sell your potnezas on Ebay and get a set of real summer road tires. If you do, you will have no wheel hop, and a smoother quality ride. Oh, and you will be able to pull a 1.0g on the skid pad.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:15 PM
BillyV

Damn, and I was worrying whether it'll hit 72 or 75 degrees tomorrow when I'm washing my beauty at 10:00am.... hmmmh,maybe two or three coats of Zaino as well, in the driveway....
Old 12-05-2002, 07:22 PM
MikeyDNY

It's all about the tires. Even Audi owners w/ the quattro all-wheel drive are not able to drive in ice/snow w/ the RE040's. Lexus even puts a notice on all cars equipped w/ the RE040's not to use them in the winter.

For people w/ the 17 inch wheels: You guys have options. I would put on the Michelin Pilot Sport a/s and use it year round.

For people w/ the 18 inch wheels: Kind of screwed but Bridgestone makes the Blizzak snow tires in the front stock size and they are supposed to be out w/ the rear size tire soon. Personally, I have had bad experiences w/ Bridgestone tires (I think they are junk, kind of fitting that Bridgestone bought it's crappy american counterpart Firestone a few years ago).

Some people on freshalloy.com are reporting better results w/ the Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires on the G35c. That may be another option if your winter is mild.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:45 PM
z461

Here's a question, how is ride and comfort/noise on blizzaks? Might wanna get a set for the extra 18" wheels I have lying around for our LX470. Didn't realize they'd give even more winter performance than the stock M+S tires. Could use it when driving up to Tahoe.