Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Questions about black 350Zs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about black 350Zs

Why is it that I hear all black 350Zs have swirl marks? I know that it's easier to see in black cars but the fact that a dealer would tell you that all the black ones are like that is stupid. I had a black 300ZXTT and it was beautiful every day until the "incident". A little glaze and elbow grease and no swirl marks are necessary. I bring this up because of a thread I read hear yesterday and because I ordered my 05 350 in black and upon arrival it was covered in swirl marks like it had been washed and waxed by machine at least 50 times. The guy said the black ones are like that. The ones on the showroom floor weren't like that. I called a buddy of mine that does paint jobs for a lot of show cars and he said that was ridiculous. Do the owners of black 350Zs have this swirl mark problem? Do any of you guys that own black 350s have a beautiful showroom shine any more? How long after pick-up did it take for your car to get covered in swirl marks if you have any at all?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swirls show up on ALL cars period. Black & other dark colors just show them more.

A nice remover will take care of them & as long as you continue to prperly care for the paint you won't have the problem.

I recommend www.zainostore.com for all of your car car needs. And no I don't own stock.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
overboost

When I got mine a couple of weeks ago, it was covered in swirl marks. I *****ed to them dealer about it and they got most of them out. Most if not all swirl marks come from the lot techs that wash the car but don't care about it. And I don't think the dealers would want to spend extra cash detailing and removing swirls from a car unless they had to.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
TK2005

So you don't think the swirl marks are worth walking on the deal then? Think I can get a discount or some free maintenance or keychain or something.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
iheartZ

all cars will have swirl marks on em. its just that the SB shows it very well. i got my 05 SB a couple months ago and it didnt have any swirls. but when they did appear, i just used my trusty ZAINNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
ZBoater

I dont think you really get rid of them entirely, unless you do something drastic like a rotary polisher and rip off the clear coat. Then you have OTHER problems. They get covered up pretty good, but always come back...
Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

When I purchased mine, they offered to "clean it up". When I arrived to take it home, not only did it have twice the swirls, it had OVERSPRAY on it.

I ended up purchasing 3M swirl remover, a Porter-Cable buffer, micro-fiber towels, and Zaino 5 & 2.

I still find that I must be VERY cautious about what touches the Z's finish. A simple swipe or wipe with a cotton towel can easily ruin the mirror "look"
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 AM
SangWL

if you know how to wash a car properly and then know how to take care of the paint, you should be fine, bixby said it perfectly.

look at my car, 33,000 miles and 2 and half years later, no swirls, some chips but no swirls.

sang
Old 07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Z Rider

got mine about 2 months ago (brand new).....mine also came with nice swirl marks all over the damn thing. Guess i need to get some Zaino..........
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
SB Track

I only had a few swirls on mine. My Z was kept in a separate underground lot so it was basically sitting there for months before I got it. They never even washed those cars.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Bran_BranZ33

i would not have bought black knowing what i know about nissan paint in general now.
maybe PPW or CS but not SB. it just shows too much crap. when i want to be depressed i go and wash my car....lol i wouldnt worry about swirls worry about chips and scratches.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:49 AM
ANXIOUZ

Oh come on. Black is the only way to go with a sportscar. You know that.

I have more chips and scratches than swirl marks.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Fletch69z

My silverstone Z is still mirror perfect and shiny for the most part. Whenever I start to notice swirl marks I just wax it and they're gone! Black does show it a lot more. My old Spec V was black and showed them all the time.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:24 PM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Bran_BranZ33
i would not have bought black knowing what i know about nissan paint in general now.
maybe PPW or CS but not SB. it just shows too much crap. when i want to be depressed i go and wash my car....lol i wouldnt worry about swirls worry about chips and scratches.
I had a black 300ZXTT until I sold it a few years ago. It was my joy and my sorrow. I just couldn't justify spending how much I did or how much I had planned to in a 91 model car. Now I want to buy either new or one year used and modify within a year so I can enjoy it as much as possible. Black is the only way to go. It's sentimental too. My girlfriend then (wife now) cried when I sold it. I did too on the inside. I don't want to hear any "it's just a car" speeches. It was an 18 year olds dream that got me to where I am today and I am very happy with that.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by TK2005
I had a black 300ZXTT until I sold it a few years ago. It was my joy and my sorrow. I just couldn't justify spending how much I did or how much I had planned to in a 91 model car. Now I want to buy either new or one year used and modify within a year so I can enjoy it as much as possible. Black is the only way to go. It's sentimental too. My girlfriend then (wife now) cried when I sold it. I did too on the inside. I don't want to hear any "it's just a car" speeches. It was an 18 year olds dream that got me to where I am today and I am very happy with that.
Any true enthusiast would never say "it' just a car." I feel for you man, . I would have been the same way when I traded in my Spec except that I got a Z, .
Old 07-06-2005, 05:17 PM
engiNERD350Z

Originally Posted by TK2005
Right there with you man. I sold my 1991 300ZX also for an Accord right before college (more practical). Regretted it throughout college. I graduated last year and bought the 350Z 3 months back.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 PM
CindysZ

No problems with my black 350Z having swirl marks. It's now 1 year old & is still just as shiny as it was when I bought it & I have 30,000 miles on it.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
ZRA

Cool

When I picked up my 05 SB touring, it had no swirls and had a mirror finish. Still looks great. I have it laser washed and waxed every week so nothing touches the car. I'm having it cleaned and waxed by a professional outfit soon, then on a timing basis.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:14 PM
itburns

Originally Posted by bixby
Swirls show up on ALL cars period. Black & other dark colors just show them more.

A nice remover will take care of them & as long as you continue to prperly care for the paint you won't have the problem.

I recommend www.zainostore.com for all of your car car needs. And no I don't own stock.
If my CS has a single swirl mark on it, I have never, ever, never ever ever seen it in the 10 months I've been driving and cleaing it. Not once.

A California Duster, a spray bottle w/secret washing solution, and a 100% cotton made-in-the-USA towel are my car's friends. 2-3 times a week. Never washed it with a bucket or a hose or a car wash and it's as squeaky clean as a showroom car. But even just before cleaning, I never seen a swirl.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
350z bra

im never ever getting a black car ever again

to many swirls to many chipps to many scratches

Quick Reply: Questions about black 350Zs