Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

"Someone Parked Next To MY Z" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 08:20 AM
Lil Popa Pump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Someone Parked Next To MY Z" Support Group

I always park on the roof of the parking garage so I can see my car. There are hardly any cars up there, and today I had an entire row to myself. Right before lunch, I look out and 2 cars parked next to me (one on each side)!??!?! WTF!?!?!?? There is an entire empty row, but they just have to park next to me!!!! What if they weren't careful and let their door hit my car!?!?!?

So, I am sitting here about 19 stories up, a block away and thinking about walking over there and moving my car! The only thing that is stopping me is that maybe they would see that I moved my car and think they'll "show me" and do something to it.

**** is gonna happen, I know. I am just not ready for it.

Help! Can anyone perscribe me some prozac or something!?!??!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:50 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out

I know exactly how you feel. But, I would just leave it. Or go for a quick drive and park in a different place when you come back. That way it doesn't look like you just moved it for the pure sake of getting away from the heathens.

Good luck, and hang in there.

JD
Old 12-19-2002, 09:59 AM
VaGentleman

LOL

I just had a security system installed w/ a radar-based perimeter monitor and a pager that I carry that let's me know whassup. The installer adjusted the zone so that you have to get right next to the car before it chirps. I was SERIOUSLY thinking about asking him to expand the zone a bit so I could, ermmm, deter other motorists from parking next to me. But I didn't because I didn't want to have a lot of false alarms.

What I do is to try and find a nicely kept high-end car in the parking area and park next to it. I figure the owner, like me, has respect for cars and will be careful when getting in/out.

Just my $0.02!

VG
Old 12-19-2002, 10:03 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tiny indent right infront of my rear wheel, but behind the door... I was extremely upset, I dont think it was a door tho since it was so low. possibly a rock or tree limb.

there is nothing you can do to relieve the anxiety.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
daSchtick

I'm with you on that. I have a Celica GT-S, and I try to park way out, but every once in a while, someone will find the need to park right next to me. Not one space away, not just near me, but right next to me. Why? I don't know, but I sure wish they'd cut it out!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:23 AM
lauderdale75

I think the desire to park next to a nice car stems from a sense of security. The individual parking next to your car may be thinking "if a vandal or criminal were to steal from either of these cars, they'll probably pick the nicer one, i.e., the Z." I would surmise that the vehicles parked next to you are not nearly as nice as the Z.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:01 AM
vshin

There's a reason behind parking next to expensive (or expensive-looking in this case) cars. They may be owners who feel the same way about door dings and they will deliberately park next to your car because you will be more careful to avoid dings (and they would be correct).

My friend has a Golf GTI, which he obsesses over and he looks around for expensive cars to park next to so that he wouldn't have to worry about some guy in his beater using his door as a personal door stop.

I know it makes you nervous, but chances are that they may be just as paranoid about their cars as you are. So be flattered and don't worry
Old 12-19-2002, 12:37 PM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by VaGentleman
LOL

I just had a security system installed w/ a radar-based perimeter monitor and a pager that I carry that let's me know whassup. The installer adjusted the zone so that you have to get right next to the car before it chirps. I was SERIOUSLY thinking about asking him to expand the zone a bit so I could, ermmm, deter other motorists from parking next to me. But I didn't because I didn't want to have a lot of false alarms.

What I do is to try and find a nicely kept high-end car in the parking area and park next to it. I figure the owner, like me, has respect for cars and will be careful when getting in/out.

Just my $0.02!

VG

That's sounds like a really good idea. How much did that cost you including labor if you don't mind me asking??
Old 12-19-2002, 04:38 PM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

I used to drive a rusty, beat up old pick up truck and would park next to sports cars. I would put my passanger door towards the sports car. That way I would not run the risk of hitting the car and no one else would park next to the car and open their door into the sports car. Scared the hell out of a few people but then once they understood why I did what I did they would start parking next to me

Untill four years ago I always drove a beater to work. Did not want to drive a nice car to work only to have to worry about it.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:10 PM
350zpower

i had the same feeling buddy .. it went away after i got my first ding!

unfortunately thats what it's going to take ..

don't worry to much .. just relax and enjoy your car, after all its just metal. a few dings or scratches isn't gonna make it any less a Z.

in about a year im gonna spend some $$ , get all the dings out and any scratches cleaned up.

thats the way i put myself at ease from all the potential troubles.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:23 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Turning those radar alarms up to too big of a range just invites people to screw with them. I'd advice against using them to try to keep people from parking beside you. You may help provoke what happened to the guy at the movie theater that was posted a couple of days ago in TX. Morons looking to show off to their other moron friends aren't good to give an even bigger reason to notice your car.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:01 PM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for crying outloud where are your orange cones!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:36 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by ZpikeZ
That's sounds like a really good idea. How much did that cost you including labor if you don't mind me asking??

It was $750 installed. Convienent too because while my car was in the shop (I had my wheels stolen last tuesday and I was waiting for the two front wheels to arrive from Dallas), they came and installed it.

The basic alarm w/ pager is $450 and covers the doors/hood/trunk and a dual stage *light/heavy* shock sensor (just a tap on the wheel provokes a warning chirp).

It has a couple of auxillary slots for optional sensors so I had a dual zone radar perimeter sensor ($150) and a motion sensor ($50) to detect any horizontal, vertical or side-to-side motion installed.

I also had them put a small strobe light ($75) on the dash to attract more attention to the car if a sensor is triggered.

The remaining $25 was for them to come to me.

I purchased the 2WSS series. You can read more about it here:

http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html

The pager unit is only the size of a credit card and is fairly light so you can atttach it to your key ring.

Fool me once...shame on you. Fool me twice...shame on me!!

VG