Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2003 350z Track vs. 200+ pound 4-pointer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Machupo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 350z Track vs. 200+ pound 4-pointer...

Yes, I know... useless without pics -- i've just got to run to work, but i'll have pics up later today when i take the car to the dealership.

Jumped out in front of me from the right. I was going about 45mph in the right lane of a 4-lane hwy.

The right headlight is in a billion pieces and has been pushed back into the engine bay, the hood is crumpled and rolled on the right side, the right front wheel well is pushed in to touch the tire, and obviously the bumper is ****ed -- Also, when the thing rolled up onto my roof, the antlers put a wicked dent into the top center of the hood and the front hooves put a dent into the roof.

The brembos work, 'cause i hit the breaks and instantly came to a halt as the deer rolled back down the hood and off the car.

First off, I am simply amazed by this car... it took a pretty decent impact and was still running, and would be completely driveable if a) it wasn't dark and b) I pulled the plastic in the front right wheel well away from the tire. Other than that, no airbag deployment, no fluids are leaking, and the radiator fan still works (albeit with a little clicking).

I'm taking it up to Byerly Nissan in Louisville (where i bought the car back in '02) -- so will have a preliminary estimate / pics this afternoon. They better not touch my $12k built engine

Too bad I don't have a Do-Luck front / sides handy, or i'd put those on in an instant!

Other than that... i'm fine, there were no other people involved... sadly, the deer didn't make it... and is presently being turned into a ton of venison steaks

The cop that showed up, just stopped traffic (yeah, this was in the middle of a decent sized city), pulled the ****er to the side of the road, and drove off... go Radcliff's finest...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:49 AM
05_350z_Enth

Sorry about the damage to the Z, but glad to hear no one was hurt. (except the deer) I wish your Z a speedy recovery.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 AM
cessna

Damn deer's, there everywhere, just waiting for us to drive by....its a conspiracy!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:23 AM
mpowers

Sorry for the car, but glad you were not hurt.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:12 AM
Joeys_z

Originally Posted by Machupo
Other than that... i'm fine, there were no other people involved... sadly, the deer didn't make it... and is presently being turned into a ton of venison steaks
Where did you put the deer....I know we can fit two golf bags in the hatch, but a 200lb 4 pointer??? Sorry to hear about your Z
Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Machupo

actually, on closer inspection (while we were cleaning it this morning) -- it had just budded new points on both sides, so it was a 6 pointer after all... i'd say it was a 2-3 yr. old...

as for where I fit it -- the Z is still sitting in the parking lot where I left it waiting for the tow truck this afternoon, but a buddy came and picked up in his truck (deer went in the back).
Old 10-18-2005, 08:18 AM
atadlo

sorry to hear about the accident nick- could have been worse though. hope you're back on the road again soon. did you get a chance to brake before you hit him, or was it full force 45mph? lucky it didnt come through the glass- glad to hear you're ok
Old 10-18-2005, 08:23 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you draw down on him and put a few holes in the beast for messing up your car? Glad you're unhurt.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:50 AM
pstyle

i hate deer! I've been so close to hitting them soo many times.. feels like it's just a matter of time. If I hit one, I think i'd be so pissed that would step out of the car and punch the deer in the face!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Vamos_Rafael

did airbags go off?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
lax91181

I didn't know people actually ate roadkill.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
highside107

Glad you aren't hurt. From all the smiley's in your post, you seem like in a pretty good mood considering your car is now messed up.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:46 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So I assume that a 200-pound 4-pointer is an animal. What. Like all of us are woodsmen or something?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lax91181
I didn't know people actually ate roadkill.
LOL, this is the south. There are actually laws that say deer killed by motor vehicles are not subject to normal hunting laws, just for cases like this. You kill a dear with your car, you can keep it no matter if it is in season or not.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by davidv
So I assume that a 200-pound 4-pointer is an animal. What. Like all of us are woodsmen or something?
lol. I had to read a few replies before I figured out what they were talking about.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
devster

Originally Posted by jvanquish
did airbags go off?
Originally Posted by Machupo
First off, I am simply amazed by this car... it took a pretty decent impact and was still running, and would be completely driveable if a) it wasn't dark and b) I pulled the plastic in the front right wheel well away from the tire. Other than that, no airbag deployment, no fluids are leaking, and the radiator fan still works (albeit with a little clicking).
z
Old 10-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Machupo

Default crappy v3 razr pics

Sorry for the pic quality, i forgot my SLR, so had to use the camera phone.

Yes, I hit the bastard full on @ 45mph... i was just driving along @ 5am and suddenly there was a huge furry thing on my passenger side front windshield, and I heard a bang.... stomped the breaks and it flew off the front of the hood and down the road a bit...

The reason i'm pretty upbeat about it is that a) I'm fine, b) the car isn't mechanically damaged (too much... at least the engine is o.k. -- the windshield wiper reservoir is another story ), and c) USAA stepped right up to the plate and got me a loaner car and will have the dealer body shop get right to work to get the car back to me ASAP.

One question i've got... after looking at these pics, do you think they'll just give me a new hood / roof / quarter panel? I think it'd be more of a pain / more expensive to fix back to stock than to just replace... obviously the new front valence / crash bar / headlight will be the way to go as they're plastic / saftey equip.

Also, anyone have a guesstimate (from experience) on how long "as soon as possible" might be?

Thanks in advance, guys

and finally, my favorite...

Old 10-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Machupo

Originally Posted by kcobean
Did you draw down on him and put a few holes in the beast for messing up your car? Glad you're unhurt.
no, but managed to get about 50lbs. of steak (the rest was torn up / ruined by the opened vitals), two brand new scent sacks, and a pair of kick-*** antlers that i'm going to mount on the front of the new bumper if i just get a new stock bumper
Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah baby!
Attached Thumbnails 2003 350z Track vs. 200+ pound 4-pointer...-deer.jpg  
Old 10-18-2005, 03:16 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That's more serious than I thought it would be after reading your post. Looks like the right end ran into a wall. I'm quite surprised that the windshield survived him rolling over it. Glad you're okay. I've had many near misses on Wisconsin highways where you are guaranteed to see at least 1-2 dead deer every 10 miles. Often more.

Quick Reply: 2003 350z Track vs. 200+ pound 4-pointer...