Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Nissan Headquarters moving to Tennessee. :(

ouch..

There goes the So-Cal connections..

http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...10113245.shtml
Old 11-10-2005, 03:48 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird. Government and real estate prices are driving businesses right out of California.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:51 PM
350zQ45a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Cali is full of regulation and over taxation.

Sad since they used to be the place for innovators to come and innovate.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:59 PM
LATEZ

not true Nissan has the highest operation profit of all manufacturs last year and this year...if Kia ,MIts can survive in so cal. Nissan can ..more to this story you have to research ..they have lost me as a customer for life YES I'm bitter

Last edited by LATEZ; 11-10-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea.. it doesn't help that So Cal real estate is over inflated, but Nissan's been here since the 60s.. just sad to see them go.. i'm sure a majority of their engineers and sales marketing staff won't go.. leaving nissan to hire and retrain alot of experience.....

Toyota and Honda are next door here in Socal to Nissan... if they look at Nissan's relocation for insight, they might go too, and there goes the automotive industry down here in California..
Old 11-10-2005, 04:10 PM
350zQ45a

Originally Posted by LATEZ
not true Nissan has the highest operation profit of all manufacturs last year and this year...if Kia ,MIts can survive in so cal. Nissan can ..more to this story you have to research ..they have lost me as a customer for life YES I'm bitter

Sure they can afford it, but so what? Business has been leaving California in droves over the last few years, it's not a secret. It was one of the Governators prime directives to try to stop that bleeding.

Simply too much regulation, taxation, and all around of Pain in the ***'ness of say Europe for companies to want to come or even now stay in California
Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Chicken

Not sure if you caught the latimes article last week (Nov. 3rd) :
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=1&cset=true

Some interesting excerpts...
About a dozen people, including Nissan managers, auto consultants and government officials, all of whom asked not to be identified, said the automaker had set things in motion to move its headquarters to the Nashville area, where Nissan's largest U.S. manufacturing plant is located.

Nissan executives declined to comment. "We are studying the issue and when a decision is made we will announce it," said spokesman Fred Standish.

But several company insiders, who asked to remain unidentified because they feared losing their jobs, say Nissan already has signed a deal to lease new headquarters facilities in Williamson County, Tenn.
"Studying the issue..." heh.
One celebrated Nissan figure who opposes the proposed move is retired executive Yutaka Katayama, renowned as the father of the Nissan "Z" sports car. Katayama, 96, is called "Mr. K" by legions of Nissan enthusiasts and was head of the U.S. operation from its inception in 1958 until 1978.

He hand-delivered a letter, entitled "Voice Against Relocation," to Ghosn's office at the company's Tokyo headquarters two weeks ago, said his longtime associate Masataka Usami.

In an e-mail to The Times, Katayama said he believed that relocating its California headquarters would cost Nissan "its sensitivity to the [U.S.] car business" by removing key marketing and product development people from an area "considered to be the birthplace of automobile culture."
You know when Mr. K doesn't have enough pull to stop it, we're in trouble.
Nissan employees in Gardena are said to be upset about the proposed move and some executives say privately they expect many of the staff will resign rather than relocate to Tennessee.

Auto industry consultants say widespread resignations would help Nissan save money because it could replace highly paid employees with new workers at lower pay with lesser benefits.
Ahhhh, win-win.

-Chicken (Gardena resident)
Old 11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

No state income taxes, much cheaper real estate, less business regulations, less unionization risk, etc. Welcome to TN!

They are also going to be close to two TN plants.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
echo412

TN is rice
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM
lax91181

does this mean the next gen Z will have a 12 inch lift like the rest of the cars in the south?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
ActionJackson

Default Rice?

I didn't know TN made rice... I thought they were good for music
Old 11-10-2005, 11:00 PM
nickintempe

Default Yee haw

Originally Posted by lax91181
does this mean the next gen Z will have a 12 inch lift like the rest of the cars in the south?
It'll have a gun rack, and mudflaps with chrome silhouettes of naked ladies.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
Yep. Cali is full of regulation and over taxation.
Sad since they used to be the place for innovators to come and innovate.
Tru Dat !!! R & D was what we were known for. Now they are trying to figure out how to keep the manufacturing jobs from going overseas. WTF !!!???
That isn't want we are all about here. Maybe someday they'll get a clue.
I been here for over 40 years and saw the rise and fall of the SF Bay Area. Now the question is: When do I get out? Because, I know I will have to sooner or later like all my friends and family. But, until my house start dropping it's value I'm here. Living in the some of the best weather in the USA.

The weather and the location to the stuff I like to do is the only reason to stay for me anymore.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 11-10-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:22 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by lax91181
haha....your funny
Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet, bring it on!!! I'll help them un-pack!!! TN is a little rice though, for sure. It's getting that way at least. However, if you're from Jacksonville, I'm sure there's a ton more rice down there in Florida. If that's the J-ville you're tlaking about.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:41 AM
mpowers

Originally Posted by kalima275Z
Sweet, bring it on!!! I'll help them un-pack!!! TN is a little rice though, for sure. It's getting that way at least. However, if you're from Jacksonville, I'm sure there's a ton more rice down there in Florida. If that's the J-ville you're tlaking about.
+1
Old 11-11-2005, 05:00 AM
xephiron

LOL I guess I can submit a resume! Bring it Nissan, let's put a little southern pride into making these cars right the first time. Hey, if it is near Nashville, maybe it will motivate them to put some better stereo systems in Nissans... plus with saving on costs, taxes, regulations, etc. maybe they can use better parts and produce vehicles at around the same cost.

Hehe, j/k everyone sorry to see you SoCal people lose a long tradition.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:39 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xephiron
LOL I guess I can submit a resume! Bring it Nissan, let's put a little southern pride into making these cars right the first time. Hey, if it is near Nashville, maybe it will motivate them to put some better stereo systems in Nissans... plus with saving on costs, taxes, regulations, etc. maybe they can use better parts and produce vehicles at around the same cost.

Hehe, j/k everyone sorry to see you SoCal people lose a long tradition.
Ha! If they come Nashville, maybe Doug Crawford can go down to the plant and secretly install his headers, cats and his plenums on the cars coming off the line!!!

Quick Reply: Nissan Headquarters moving to Tennessee. :(