Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why choose a Z over a G35?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 AM
cman321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why choose a Z over a G35?

Looking at the prices of a nicely equiped Z come pretty close to the G35 coupe. The G35 gives you a longer warranty, better service, nicer interior, and a back seat, and the infinity cache.

Am I missing something. What are the advantages of Z over the G. Why did yall choose the Z.

I do think the Z looks more crisp and agressive, but many people I know think the G looks better. Don't both cars weigh about the same and are equally as fast/handling.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Silkk

I got my Z because:

1)I paid $22.5k for it very slightly used. I couldn't find a slightly used G for under $30k at the time.

2)I also, as you already mentioned, think the Z looks more exotic/agressive. The G kind of reminds me of a sexier RSX or something. It's more of a "normal" car appearance-wise.

3)Also, I didn't WANT a backseat. When you own a car as awesome as the Z or G you will most likely be asked to drive everywhere (unless you have mostly richy rich friends with Carerra S's, Z06s, M3s, etc.) by your friends. Do you really want to cram 4 people into your G to go to a bar or the movies?! Didn't think so...

Performance-wise and looks-wise though, the G is definitely on par with the Z... If you don't mind 1,2,3 I listed above, then go for the G, IMO.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:21 AM
mahont

The Z is slightly faster. The Z is for someone looking for more of a raw sports car while the G35 is pure luxury with some engine to back it up though. As far as looks go that is subjective.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 AM
g35pm

Z has more aftermarket parts available. The z is also lighter.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Silkk

^ The above are also true, but I don't think they should be the deciding factor.

The Z is probably faster than the G by about .2 0-60 and .1 in the quarter mile... Nothing that should be a deciding factor. My Z with Intake, Exhaust, and Plenum dyno'd around 245whp while I saw a STOCK G dyno 245 the same day. Of course, the G is slightly heavier, but... just goes to show you it's not a huge difference.

Also, as far as aftermarket goes, I'd say anything you want for the G would be easily obtainable... There are more "rice" companies that produce cheap product imitations (Can you say $150 headers) for the Z, but those aren't things you want to buy anyway. The reputable companies produce parts for BOTH cars.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 AM
tekk

i own a g, but i can respect anyone who would prefer a z.
first of all, the z in general costs less. the difference may be small but its significant. going forward, used zs will also likely cost a little less.
as far as the practicality goes, for some 2 seats is all they need. the z also weighs less. 200lbs can be significant if you want every last bit of performance.
nismo directly supports the z here in the US, and in general a few more mods are designed for the Z and tend to cost less than for the G, making it slightly better for tuning.. hope this helps
Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 AM
AlphaPJ

Not really sure, but I drove both and Z seemed to handle better as well as have more response in acceleration. Basically it is more of a sports car. I prefer the styling of the Z to G, especially with the GT(and track) package wheels. The interior if the G may be more "luxurious" but with the improvements to the 06 Z interior I kind like the sportier look of the Z. I also could not get Silverstone w/ Burnt Orange leather interior on the G, and that look is so hot!

In the end it comes down to your preference, I prefer the looks and driving feel of the Z, thus that is what I got.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Silkk

^As far as 2 Seat v. 4 Seat goes... If you are any bigger than me (and I'm tiny at 5'6" 135lbs) you won't fit anything but kids in the backseat of the G [comfortably].

I've ridden in the back of a G with a ~5'10" driver. With him in comfortable driving position, guess where my legs were?! They were angled and propped on the "stoop" behind the center console. And as I mentioned, my legs are pretty small... So, imagine trying to put someone 5'10" behind the 5'10" driver... *wide eyed*
Old 12-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Silkk

Silkk on interior "luxury":

If you buy the Z with at least a touring package, I personally don't see any huge difference in luxury between the two? Yeah the pop-up navi in the G is nicer than the chincy plastic cover in the Z, but... other than that, I'd say they are on par. Seats are the same, steering wheel practically the same, guages practically the same, etc.

I have an enthusiast Z, upgraded to leather/suede centered seats, installed my own DVD system, upgraded wheels, and I don't think the G is THAT much more luxurious than my Z. A little, but not anything drastic. The G isn't like driving a Bentley or something with a fridge in the backseat for your wine-coolers.

And I still have all the other perks mentioned (2 seater, more agressive, slightly faster, better handling, lighter, etc.).
Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Z is cheaper. I had no need for leather or luxury, I wanted a sports car so that's what I got for 7K cheaper than the cheapist G I ever seen while car shopping. If I wanted a fully loaded Z I probably would have got a G due to the back seat (which as stated above is worthloess).

And (as stated above) the Z is sexier.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:45 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove both Z and G a couple of times before I decided. I went with the Z because:

-I felt the throttle response was quicker
-The interior looked more young and sporty
-The exterior was more agressive and sporty to my taste
-I didn't want my first sports car to have 4 seats
-The saleswomen I had in the Z test drive was more pretty than the one in the G

Yes, the last point was a joke... maybe.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Silkk

How is this:

Much more "Luxury" than this (my interior):

I agree mine is a little "sportier", but I don't see where the G is that much more luxury as everyone claims (other than pop up nav that I mentioned).
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The G35 coupe has a back seat the 350Z does not. Both are excellent choices.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Z Rider

The Z is a sports car.........the G is not....End of story.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by mahont
The Z is slightly faster. The Z is for someone looking for more of a raw sports car while the G35 is pure luxury with some engine to back it up though. As far as looks go that is subjective.

+1....I wanted a sports car. If I wanted a sporty luxury car I would get the G.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 AM
gumulri

Originally Posted by cman321
Looking at the prices of a nicely equiped Z come pretty close to the G35 coupe. The G35 gives you a longer warranty, better service, nicer interior, and a back seat, and the infinity cache.

Am I missing something. What are the advantages of Z over the G. Why did yall choose the Z.

I do think the Z looks more crisp and agressive, but many people I know think the G looks better. Don't both cars weigh about the same and are equally as fast/handling.
before getting my z I also test drove G and felt like I was driving my old
acura 3.2 tl type S, I could not feel any power from accelation. Interior Z is better looks more sporty G looks like my old acura same boring and i hate to
giving a ride people always messing up my interior that made me so sad
ok I have two friends driving G. before they getting the car they also
though G is looks better but now they changed their mind and they always
saying they should get a Z.
and sorry about my english I only been in usa for few year
Old 12-21-2005, 08:49 AM
gumulri

Originally Posted by mahont
Z more faster half second in 0-60 , make them "bye bye"

Last edited by gumulri; 12-21-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:54 AM
gumulri

Originally Posted by Z Rider
The Z is a sports car.........the G is not....End of story.
+1
Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 AM
BillZ_Fan

Answer:

The History.

That among other things already listed.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Zilvia

The z just looks way better..............

Quick Reply: Why choose a Z over a G35?