Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving! Will the Z work on a uhaul trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:16 AM
need Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving! Will the Z work on a uhaul trailer?

I'm moving from FL to CA in a few weeks and need to know if either of the trailers that Uhaul offers will work with the Z. Their website seems to imply that it will not but the gentleman I talked to at the store thought that it would.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone ever towed their Z on a Uhaul trailer?

Driving the Z out there is really not an option (I really really don't want to let my g/f's brother and best friend drive it but it appears to be the last option).
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM
angelzhope720

No your last option is doing what I have done. I shipped my car from California to Illinois. I really wouldn't recommend towing your Z across the country. I think it was around $1000. It's well worth the money IMO. Especially if your last option is to have your girlfriend's BROTHER and BEST FRIEND drive it. Imagine how greatly the Z would be abused. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
yeperra

Uhaul used to have tandem wheel trailers. I rented one a few years back to haul a Packhard home with. It worked great. I wouldn't mind putting my 350 on one. I'm not talking about just under the front wheels but the kind that the whole car sits on. This one was made of aluminum and really nice. Cost me about $220 from LA to the Bay Area. You will need a full size truck to tow it with though.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have towed my Z on a U-Haul trailer before and it worked, but I needed 2x4s to aide in clearance. Rickdogg also towed his to SEMA on a U-Haul trailer, but he took his side skirts/front bumer off.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
rmesola

1000 is not a bad price to pay to keep your baby safe...

make sure you go with a fully insured shipper... last time I shipped a car it was damaged and the shipper disappeared...

I recommend DAS auto shippers... more expensive but they stand by their work with warranty and GPS real time tracking...

if you must haul it, get a trailer that will have all 4 wheels off the ground, if you don't it could damage your suspension and tranny and that's worth a lot...

and I would never drive it, xpt if I drove it myself... and somebody else drives the uhaul truck...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
bamyi

I will be towing my Z on a U-haul next Monday from CA to CO. Yeah, their web-site say it won't work but then again, it also stated that my Jeep Grand Cherokee can't handle the trailer.

I can't see why it won't work, as stated, its been done before. If I run into any problems I'll let you know.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bamyi
I will be towing my Z on a U-haul next Monday from CA to CO. Yeah, their web-site say it won't work but then again, it also stated that my Jeep Grand Cherokee can't handle the trailer.

I can't see why it won't work, as stated, its been done before. If I run into any problems I'll let you know.
I wouldn't tow with a Grand Cherokee unless it has a new Hemi in it. I get nervous towing with my dad's F-150. What is the Cherokee rated at for towing?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
need Z

Well, it looks like it doesn't matter now guys. The g/f's mom paid for a shipping company so it looks like I'm driving the Z out there now.... That's going to be a LONG drive
Old 03-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Just make sure the trailer has brakes and that they work well. You might have to balance the load on the trailer somewhat.
Airlift air bags/air shocks on the Jeep will give you the added weight carrying capability you may need for the heavy tongue load. The motor itself will handle it like a champ!

I have used both air shocks and air bag suspensions to tow my race car that was around 3000lbs on a flat bed behind my Jeep Cherokee and now my Nissan Pathfinder and Motorhome. The Pathfinder did much better stock but and air bag are the ticket for a better ride and weight carrying.

I think the Cherokee is only be good for a short trip. With stock suspension it almost bottomed out without the air shocks. The tires would rub. It's good that I only had about 40 miles to travel the first time and the road was level.

The air bags/shocks might be needed if you are going long distance.

You might want to do a trial run with the car on the trailer in their yard a day or two ahead of time. That way you'll know if you need to add something.

Becareful out there, it is easy to overload one of the lighter SUV's. The brakes aren't really great for taking long grades while towing either.

I'm not writing this to scare you guys .... just trying to put the words of caution out there and give you a couple of things to look at so you will be safe out there.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-02-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
350zpilot

I would try renting a truck through Budget because you can rent a nice big flat bed from them. In October I pulled my Z from FL to CA. The Budget trailers are real nice and big. Plus they are all aluminum. The U-haul trailers are too small and look down right poor.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I want one of those aluminum trailer. They are bank though, right?
Mine must weight 700lbs by itself. But, it's big and heavy duty!

Better yet. I want an enclosed 26' trailer. That way I can put my workshop up front. Oh yes....... she will be mine.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-03-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by 350zpilot
I would try renting a truck through Budget because you can rent a nice big flat bed from them. In October I pulled my Z from FL to CA. The Budget trailers are real nice and big. Plus they are all aluminum. The U-haul trailers are too small and look down right poor.
I agree but in small town Salinas, CA U-Haul is all we get. I asked the U-haul guys to see if I can pick it up tomorrow to test things out and they agreed. I'll report tomorrow and I'll try to post some pics. They guys were nice enough to not charge me for the two extra days. They said they figure they were closed anyways so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Smart thing to do. You should be good if everything is stock on your Grand Cherokee. If it's a V8 it will handle it. If it's a six, and auto your probably good. If it's a six with 5spd unless it's been regeared with like 4.10's you might have a problem in the mountains around CO. I hope you have the V8.

Shouldn't have any problems if tow package is there.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:18 PM
bamyi

I have the grand cherokee which is fully loaded with the v8. However, the car has 154k on it so its not close to new anymore. I've planed two different routes to CO, depending on weather I will pick one thats best.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I have the grand cherokee which is fully loaded with the v8. However, the car has 154k on it so its not close to new anymore. I've planed two different routes to CO, depending on weather I will pick one thats best.
Sounds to me like you'll be good. Just balance that trailer don't get too much of the weight on the tongue. Of course the opposite applies. Make sure you have ~150lbs on the tongue or you'll fishtail around a bunch with no weight. I think you'll be OK.

Have a safe trip. Your coming back someday right?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 AM
bamyi

well, it didn't happened. The U-Haul people informed me that my Jeep is too light to tow the trailer therefor they won't rent it to me. I offer to add sand bags to the jeep but its not happening. Oh well, I'll just have to find a driver for both cars.