Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

legal/illegal mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:26 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeCKNeiC
**** LCD screens are illegal in Hawaii? I just got one installed two days ago...
yup, and thats whether you turn it on or not. I believe the law says you can't even have one inside the car whether the unit is on or not, and whether the car is moving or not. sucks. I've got a pioneer dvd w/ lcd, but I never turn it on b/c its not worth the ticket. of course not every cop will ticket you for it, but it does happen. I can PM you the HI veh mod statues if you want.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:43 PM
davidf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
yup, and thats whether you turn it on or not. I believe the law says you can't even have one inside the car whether the unit is on or not, and whether the car is moving or not. sucks. I've got a pioneer dvd w/ lcd, but I never turn it on b/c its not worth the ticket. of course not every cop will ticket you for it, but it does happen. I can PM you the HI veh mod statues if you want.
That law also applies in Texas as of last year, I guess a 16 yr. old has no business driving and watching a movie at the same time.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Everybodywildou

You'll get a super-huge ticket for not having cats.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:47 PM
showstoppertk

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
You'll get a super-huge ticket for not having cats.
actually there is one thing that is nice about hawaii. there's no smog check. you could pass the yearly safety inspection with a big block and no cats. however it is still illegal to remove a working cat, I think thats a federal law right?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Satans350

Originally Posted by iknowitsfast
Yeah i love the fact the bikes dont have to worry about noise, but cars??? ha, thats discrimmination mayyynnn!!
i beg to differ loud pipes are not legal on bikes.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 PM
HDPDZO6

Last year, I believe I wrote at least 50 citations for motorcycles... Either they had apehangers, loud exhaust, or doing something stupid (wheelie at 80 mph for one rider), etc.

Bikers get their share of tickets, don't worry.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:17 PM
35oZephyR

Not only are some harleys loud ...I've seen so many set off car alarms on the street. I've never seen one get pulled over in San Diego though.

I guess some law enforcement officers see modified cars as either a nusance or potential hazard, so they use the sound polution statute as another leverage to pull some of us over.

I mean, what's is the worst thing the harley guys can do? Get into a bar fight?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
r26

not exactly true, you can get aftermarket rims as long as they aren't 1.75" (or some stupid # like that) larger than stock. and I haven't read about stereos much (I do know LCD screens are illegal), but I doubt anyone has ever gotten a ticket for just having an aftermarket CD deck or speakers. but you are right about hawaii be super strict, recon sucks.
a cop pulled me over last week and said the general rule is that anything done to your car requires recon. you can get rims that are 1.75" bigger, but you need a recon sticker to pass it. he then looked at my stereo and said that i need recon for that also.

tint tickets are rediculous in hawaii. the penalty is 287 dollars per window; even the small little triangle windows. i think it's just for making money. a lot of cars in hawaii have illegal tint. i hear of tint laws in other states, but $287 a window. give me a break.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:06 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I can PM you the HI veh mod statues if you want.
Hey man can you send those to me?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:32 AM
TeCKNeiC

Il take those even though I leave in two months...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Forrest80

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
The cops favorite reason to pull you over is not having a front plate. Then the inspection starts from there.

Now in Cali, if you have any exhaust that doesn't sound stock from the factory your gonna get pulled over especially, in Sacramento with the crack down on street racing. Lowered vehicles are going to be a target as well.

They will use these visual / audio cues to pull you over so that they can spend more time looking for other things to process.

At least that is my opinion on the topic.
Here in cali, Cop passing me in the other lane going different way, 3 minutes later behind me i see same cop way behind me "paceing" me to judge my speed. Luckly im not a speeder and i keep a eye for people behind me, becuase of the Z's limited view space i allways keep a track of what is going on behind me. Anyways the bastard had doubled back on me and my Z's stock.

Next day i see a sexy black Z with what looked like a g35 wing on the back drive by oposite direction, and few minutes later in the SAME area(as it happend to me yesterday) i see a cop comeing up on him hehe. Would have love to have special Z comminication system so i could have warned him.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 AM
hurahn

Originally Posted by davidf
That law also applies in Texas as of last year, I guess a 16 yr. old has no business driving and watching a movie at the same time.
Well, no one should be driving and watching a movie. ****, people can barely look at the road and drive right. I have my display for the passenger or for when I get to work early cuz parking is a bia, bia. Or when I'm driving across the country and do the rest stop sleep over(not comfy in a Z). If you want to get slick with it why don't you get a joint with the nav built in. Flick it back and forth when you need to.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:44 AM
hurahn

Originally Posted by r26
a cop pulled me over last week and said the general rule is that anything done to your car requires recon. you can get rims that are 1.75" bigger, but you need a recon sticker to pass it. he then looked at my stereo and said that i need recon for that also.

tint tickets are rediculous in hawaii. the penalty is 287 dollars per window; even the small little triangle windows. i think it's just for making money. a lot of cars in hawaii have illegal tint. i hear of tint laws in other states, but $287 a window. give me a break.
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 AM
chickmagnet

I am 3 year law student: first of all if a officer wants to look uner you hood you should immidatly ask for a warrent dosent matter if your on the highway or not. your he can only search what is in plain sight. he cannot by no means legaly ask you to pop your hood or search you car without a warrent. he must have probable cause for the warrent in wich is tied to reasonable suspision. He or she as an officer can ask but you can also say no adn force him to get a warrent. it dosent matter if you have anything to hide or not because they can plant anythnig in the car and say it was yours and you maybe looking at some serious charges that yo cant back out of. So what if you have to go to a holding facility for a couple of hours better to protet yourself then serve a few years for something thats not yours. TIP if you are stoped for a DUI you also have rights to reject the test for any reason. The more you allow a officer to do the more evidence is brought befor you so just a general rule for thought the police work for the proscution and its there job to prove beyond all resonable doubt not you giving them resonable doubt. be informed myfrind that the only people that can rule your car as unsafe is the police due to an obvious obstruction or a hassard to other drivers. adn thh DOT is the only body of government that can randomly check you for emmission standard and gas type but they only generaly stopp disseal trucks to check for farm disseal or some other none dot regulated fuel so dont worry just drive and be happy. and no officer is your friend unless he is your dad or a good buddy that you know personaly....follow theese rules just to keep yourself safe....
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 AM
TurboSteve

Originally Posted by chickmagnet
I am 3 year law student: first of all if a officer wants to look uner you hood you should immidatly ask for a warrent dosent matter if your on the highway or not. your he can only search what is in plain sight. he cannot by no means legaly ask you to pop your hood or search you car without a warrent. he must have probable cause for the warrent in wich is tied to reasonable suspision. He or she as an officer can ask but you can also say no adn force him to get a warrent. it dosent matter if you have anything to hide or not because they can plant anythnig in the car and say it was yours and you maybe looking at some serious charges that yo cant back out of. So what if you have to go to a holding facility for a couple of hours better to protet yourself then serve a few years for something thats not yours. TIP if you are stoped for a DUI you also have rights to reject the test for any reason. The more you allow a officer to do the more evidence is brought befor you so just a general rule for thought the police work for the proscution and its there job to prove beyond all resonable doubt not you giving them resonable doubt. be informed myfrind that the only people that can rule your car as unsafe is the police due to an obvious obstruction or a hassard to other drivers. adn thh DOT is the only body of government that can randomly check you for emmission standard and gas type but they only generaly stopp disseal trucks to check for farm disseal or some other none dot regulated fuel so dont worry just drive and be happy. and no officer is your friend unless he is your dad or a good buddy that you know personaly....follow theese rules just to keep yourself safe....

sweet!! so just keep in mind all you drunk drivers out there that you dont really have to do the test and you can just hop in your car and swerve your way back home! what great advice i feel safer already
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by chickmagnet
Wow, your law school sucks

I'm certain that a cop is really going to start planting guns and drugs in your car, lol. Somehow I think you pissing him off by asking for a warrant and your car being impounded and you having so many tickets that your insurance company drops you is realllllly worth it

Not to mention that in most places refusal to do that breathalizer tests results in an automatic guilty state in court. I'm certain there are some places where you can refuse and not have it blackball you in court, but those are far and few between.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. You only get harrassed here in Jersey if you're speeding, have excessive tint or white tails. That type of thing. I never seen anything as far as being pulled over for being too low or having too loud an exhaust. Over here the rice rockets own on noise. But thats all they own on and nothing else. LOL. But the only thing I would be worried about more than cops is inspection. But I'm guessing since cali is recognized for street racing, then that probably gives cops a more discriminative view of modded cars.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:28 PM
PuertoRicanZ

"In California everything is illegal. Check your local motor vehicle regulations"
-davidv

cali is so, if not the most corrupted state. I hate cali
Old 03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
35oZephyR

It's kind of ironic because you see a ridiculous amount of modified cars here.

Alot of people simply don't give a fuuug. I know I don't.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

first of all if a officer wants to look uner you hood you should immidatly ask for a warrent dosent matter if your on the highway or not. your he can only search what is in plain sight. he cannot by no means legaly ask you to pop your hood or search you car without a warrent.
sure, you can do that but they will ARREST YOU then impound your car and are you willing to go through all of that hassle? Check out this SDPD training video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCyMk...page=2&t=t&f=b

Last edited by Bubble; 03-13-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: legal/illegal mods?