Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A L A R M S ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 04:46 PM
350z_jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A L A R M S ?

Hey gang, whats happining? Anyway, I wanna get an alarm on my new pride and joy. This is my first brand new sports car and I would like to protect it the best that I can. Now, I have NO experience with alarms because I never had a car alarm. So, if anyone has any input and/or experience with a certain alarm, Please advise.. Thanks..
Old 01-28-2003, 04:47 PM
WayneTN

Didn't it come with one?
Old 01-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Moroccan_Mole

i really like the clifford concept 600.

http://www.clifford.com/products/cp_co6.htm
Old 01-28-2003, 04:51 PM
350z_jedi

Yes, obviously anyone who has a Z, knows that it comes with an alarm. I would like to have an additional alarm. I'm sorry, next time I gotta be more specific.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Python Alarm - controls the windows and hatch too. Same company also makes the Viper and Clifford Alarms.
http://www.directed.com/security/python/pyth_se.asp
Old 01-29-2003, 07:10 AM
JimmysZ

Default Why another Alarm???

Whats the point of having two alarms? I haven't read the owners manual yet, so I am not sure what the factory alarm gives you exactly. Is there anything an aftermarket alarm would give you over the factory alarm that would be worth getting one?... I mean more along the lines of security rather than convienence wise. Also, would the two interfere with each other in some way?

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:36 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket alarm

The main reason people add aftermarket alarms is very simple. The complete plans for the factory alarm are published. If a crook of moderate skill was interested in stealing Zs, he oculd read the shop manual and know instantly how to circumvent the system.

When you have an aftermarket alarm (with a seperate siren battery say) you could really suprise such a crook!

Don't get me wrong. The stock alarm w/ imobilizer are a very good factory system (IMO), and will foil most low level thieves and joyriders.

It just depends how much risk you think you are exposed to. If I lived in New York City you BET I would have a secondary alarm and kill circuit. If I lived on a farm in Iowa I wouldn't waste my money.

AndyB
Old 01-29-2003, 08:15 AM
grayfox

If I lived on a farm in Iowa I wouldn't waste my money.
/giggle

I can just see an Iowa farmer loadin' up Ma in the Z to peel into town for a night out. =)

Did you get Lojak/jack? (sp?)
Old 01-29-2003, 11:48 AM
ZThang

I just put on the dei (viper/clifford) responder alarm on mine....its got pretty much everything in an alarm you could imagine...including autostart option (which i have on my manual)...not only that, but this thing acts like a pager and alerts your key unit when your alarm is triggered.
Attached Thumbnails A L A R M S ?-remote.jpg  
Old 01-29-2003, 11:53 AM
jleighZ

When I get mine, I will be putting on an aftermarket alarm. I do live out in the boonies and had a car stolen (brand new) and I would be scared to death of that happening on a 30k car!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:23 PM
CaneZMD

I recommend the Clifford. I got an inteliguard 7000 put on my Z. It's great. The siren has it's own battery. Alot of the components are wireless so you can't trace the install. I also has a wireless engine immobilizer and an anti-carjacking system that cuts the power if the driver doesn't enter his PIN code. It's a great system.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:30 PM
CaneZMD

I recommend the Clifford. I got an inteliguard 7000 put on my Z. It's great. The siren has it's own battery. Alot of the components are wireless so you can't trace the install. I also has a wireless engine immobilizer and an anti-carjacking system that cuts the power if the driver doesn't enter his PIN code. It's a great system.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:45 PM
tiggerpooh

another option is the compustar....a lot of people uses it and it also has a 2 way pager so you know what's happening with your car.....i guess you can't really go wrong with any of the higer end alarms....clifford/compustar.......it's mostly personal preferences and which options suits you more

Compustar
Old 01-29-2003, 02:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im uncertain, but the stock alarm does not detect anything but unlocking the doors from the inside... it has an immobilizer, but my worries would be breaking the window and stealing the radio or something. or if they take a flatbed, there are no shock sensors that I know of on the car. so they could tow it away without it making a peep.

just some possible areas where the factory alarm is insufficient.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:11 PM
MikesChromeZ

I just had the viper 790 XV installed, it come with the lcd screen which alerts you if the alarm is set off or if any of the zones have been viloated..It also has the autostart..
Old 01-30-2003, 12:14 AM
VaGentleman

Since having my freaking wheels stolen in December, I now have 3 levels of security on my Z.

1. 2 sets of locking lugnuts on each wheel.

2. The Compustar Security System. It comes with a pager that will alert you if you are w/in 1.25 miles of the car which sensor has been activated.

The basic unit ($450) has sensors for unauthorized door/hood/hatch opening and a 2-stage shock sensor (1st stage for minor taps on the car/wheels; 2nd stage for major hits to the car (if you lifted your door handle and just let go, the impact would set the 2nd stage sensor off). This would also be activated if someone was messing with your wheels, i.e., kicking the tires or putting a wrench on a lug nut.

As an optional feature, I also had a 2 zone, radar-based perimeter sensor installed. If someone gets within a body-length of the car, it will chirp 4 times (and let me know through the pager).

As an additional option, I had a motion sensor installed so that if it is tilted or in anyway moved, the alarm will be activated and I will be notified.

The cost of the system installed (and the tech came to me for the installation) was $750.

If you want more info..you can go to www.compustar.org. I purchased the 2WSS Series.

3. GPS2000. This system will inform you by a phone call or e-mail if your car has been moved without your authorization, i.e., stolen. Then you can go their website (or call a special phone #), enter your ID# and you can track your car using GPS technology throughout 99% of the US territory (LoJack uses radio wave technology). You can call the police and let them know exactly where your car is located or you can give them the website/ID and let them track it.

It has a backup battery so no one can just steal the car and go to a nearby garage and cut the main batter cable to disable it. Also, if they did do such a thing...the system will tell you the last route the car took before losing its signal.

The cost for this installed is $600. If you want to read more about it go to www.gps2000online.com

Omega Research & Technology produces it. Their website is..
http://www.caralarm.com/start.html
Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

again a true crook would be aware that GPS has to be in sight of a satelite, meaning park it inside and your invisible. thats what lojack had on it, that uses radio waves, and thus can be hit no matter what, but its not quite as pin point accurate as GPS. more of a vague area that the cars in. which can be a problem if theres a huge complex of warehouses and your cars in one of them. but then again, if it was GPS and its in a warehouse, it cant find it anyway.

as for detering amatuers, actually I bet the opposite is true, youd get a broken window by some stupid idiot not realizing he cant bypass the system. but a professional wouldnt want the Z anyway, theres no parts market, and he'd be stupid to sell the stolen car in its entirerty. also if he DID want a Z for some reason, theres like 8000 of them without a aftermarket alarm of any kind, he'd steal on of them.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:39 AM
WayneTN

Default another line of thought............

Then again, there's the thought that, if your car is too hard to steal, the perp might just wait until you come back and take you along with it. That's why car-jackings started: built-in vehicle security increased. Go figure..........

WayneTN
Old 01-30-2003, 08:20 AM
grayfox

Christ, if you want the damn thing that much, just take it...I have good insurance...

I refuse to live in fear of thieves nor spend more gobs of money trying to thwart them when they can still do considerable damage or theft to the car. I'm not careless (stock alarm always enabled, don't park in unsafe places), but ugh.

I love my baby, but it's still just a car.

/flees before the flogging begins