Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
03silverstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling to the right

my z pull to the slightly to the right. i had them check the alignment and they said everything is ok and that it was normal for this. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 03silverstone
my z pull to the slightly to the right. i had them check the alignment and they said everything is ok and that it was normal for this. Anyone else experience this?
Yep, I noticed it the first week of ownership and it is a brand new 2006. I took it in the following week for them to check it and they said everyhting was fine. They verified that the tire pressures were correct at all four corners and that the car was tracking straight, but they didn't actually adjust anything. So now I have my car back and it still drifts right if I let go of the wheel. I have tested this on 'flat' pavement as well as the crowned highways, and it pulls right regardless (obviously moreso on the highway). I should be able to let go of the wheel on a straightaway and stay on the road, like I could in my old car. This irks me as it does you.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nissan has an interesting test for the front end pulling to one side. The test is does the car change lanes (with no hands on the wheel) in so many seconds. If you want more specifics, look at the service bulletins covering some of the earlier 350Z models.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
ANXIOUZ

There is a TSB for 03's pulling to the right.

Here: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB03-046.htm

Last edited by ANXIOUZ; 03-30-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
mavtais

normal.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Casanova

Originally Posted by 03silverstone

MUST BE THE CHICK MAGNET
Old 03-30-2006, 06:04 PM
NissanZfan

BS, I went last week to get free tires, and an alignment. When I left, it still pulled to the right, and I went back the next day. He called the tech up, and he said he had to order some part, wasn’t very specific. So I dropped it off today, and it drives perfectly straight. I will look at the invoice and write the specifics later.

Customer states the car pulls right sop in part
cause:compression rod bushing worn
MC70AA rpl compression rod-one side
part number#54468CD084

Verified that the vehicle pulls to the right. found the compression rod bushing worn. replaced compression rod on the right hand side. vehicle no longer pulls.

I asked the tech (not great detail) what exactly was happening. This is what he told me "sense you can’t adjust the camber this will make up for that". This was the rep. in the front, so maybe he is feeding me some BS, and didn’t know exactly what they did to the car. All I know is that I have NO pulling what so ever. I find it interesting that the rod was worn with a car with only 20k miles on it. I hope this info helps you. If you are still under the 3-year warrantee extension, DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER, THEY ARE BEING LAZY (I had to take this car back twice before it was done correctly)

Last edited by NissanZfan; 04-02-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by Casanova
MUST BE THE CHICK MAGNET
Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
aonic

I have the same problem in my 05'
Old 03-30-2006, 07:28 PM
NY 350Z

chech the air in the tires
Old 03-30-2006, 08:04 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by NY 350Z
chech the air in the tires

run more air in the right tires.lol
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Miko

I notice when i drive on asphalt sometimes it pulls to the right, but once you get onto a concrete road it's steady.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

there is tsb on this.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:47 AM
Asterix

My '04 came with the thrust angle set slightly off, so it pulled to the right. The dealer basically blew me off, so I went to a real shop with a good alignment machine and got a good alignment. $100 well spent. All it took to fix was a slight adjustment of the rear toe.

The factory's alignment machine must've been off or Nissan just didn't care about that last degree.

Asterix
Old 03-31-2006, 05:54 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Nissan has an interesting test for the front end pulling to one side. The test is does the car change lanes (with no hands on the wheel) in so many seconds. If you want more specifics, look at the service bulletins covering some of the earlier 350Z models.
I would guess they test this at a certain speed too. With mine I would say that I can start in the left lane around 70 MPH and let go of the wheel, and within 8 seconds I will be well into the right lane, on a straight, flat, minimally-crowned piece of road. Seems to me that I should still be in the left lane...so maybe I will bring this to the dealer's attention.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:21 AM
maxpowers

Depending how aggressive the car moves to the right I would say its normal tramlining.

I just took my snow tires off, and now the car pulls to the right depending on the the type of pavement I'm on. With the thinner snow tires, I had no problem.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 AM
03silverstone

Originally Posted by NissanZfan
BS, I went last week to get free tires, and an alignment. When I left, it still pulled to the right, and I went back the next day. He called the tech up, and he said he had to order some part, wasn’t very specific. So I dropped it off today, and it drives perfectly straight. I will look at the invoice and write the specifics later.
That would be great, its not a big deal i guess but it bothers me and if they are able to get it fixed they better get it fixed. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Ztalker

sometimes pulling to the right or to the left in a brand new car is caused by a defective tire.....i had a bad goodyear front tire pulling to the right in a new car and goodyear replaced it under warranty. One of the Continental tires caused my wife's Armada pulled to the right, the dealer said it was normal. i went home and rotated the front right tire to left and the left front to the right, problem solved. If there is one thing that bothers me most in a car, it's a car that doesn't track straight.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
zedated

Any car with a tight suspension will follow the road very closely, especially if you keep your tires at the recommended 35 psi or higher. The tendency to drift will be more pronounced at higher speeds (e.g. highway vs. surface road). Most roads have a slight "crown" in the middle to allow water to run off to the sides, so your car will drift to the right if you're on the right side of the crown, and it will drift to the left if you are on the left side of the crown. Naturally, it should not drift if you are centered with the crown. You can test this on an empty road (i.e. NO oncoming traffic!). If it drifts left on the left side and does not drift in the middle, your suspension/alignment is fine. If your alignment is good, but the drift still bothers you, lower the air pressure in your front tires by a few psi. 32 psi should provide a nice ride with little or no impact to normal daily driving performance and tire wear.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 AM
LA_Z

Took a drive during lunch (why not sunny, 80 degrees, perfect top down weather). I took care to drive different surfaces and selected roads with slighty different crowns. (stock tires, inflated to 35 psi cold)

Tracked straight as an arrow on most of the roads and slight drift to the right on asphalt with a sever crown.

So, I'm normal. Well at least the car is ...

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right