Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z got broken into...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 04:19 PM
mytalon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DURSO

Doesnt anyone here think like a criminal?
I sure do, and I think that this THREAD should be deleted from this Forum completely.
We are creating a TSD for criminals on "How to break into a 350z"!
Too much information. If I was a criminal and wanted to break into a Z, all I have to do is look at this thread and BINGO!
All that needs to be said is that an aftermarket alarm is highly recommended, and leave it at that. We all know that cars get broken into, we dont need a step by step guide for them to follow.
I second the motion
Old 02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
chicago350z

delete the thread? do you think this info is new or Z specific? look at most cars out now. the majority have plastic handles. you can pop the handles off any car with a crobar, etc.

the solution is simple. the only way to disable the alarm should be from the remote. honda does it this way. they also have a "valet" switch hidden between the stereo buttons. in the event that your remote batteries die, you put your key in the ignition and turn to the "on" position. you then hit the valet switch to disable. if the cylinder is manually turned, the alarm goes off, key or no key. simple.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some Important Points:

1. The 350Z will NOT start without the key. The only way to steal the Z itself is to tow it away. The days of hot wiring cars are long over.

2. The factory Alarm is designed to deter amateur thief's from stealing the CONTENTS of your Z.

3. If you want more protection for you contents, you should install an aftermarket alarm. This type of alarm is extremely difficult to defeat and it adds a second layer of protection (starter kill in addition to the Z's Key immobilizer).

4. The main reason many people install aftermarket alarms is for the convenience items: Passive Door Locking (doors automatically lock when you exit the car), Ignition Door Locking (doors lock when you start the car), Ignition Door Unlocking (doors unlock when you turn off the car), Window Control from the remote, trunk popping and remote starting.

5. The best protection is to park in a well lit, well traveled area.

NOTE in response to an early comment: If the Z battery is dead (unlikely since the Z turns off all lights automatically if left on), the hatch will not open either (it's electric). The only way into the Z would be the key.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:00 PM
importriders

Originally posted by DURSO

Doesnt anyone here think like a criminal?
I sure do, and I think that this THREAD should be deleted from this Forum completely.
We are creating a TSD for criminals on "How to break into a 350z"!
Too much information. If I was a criminal and wanted to break into a Z, all I have to do is look at this thread and BINGO!
All that needs to be said is that an aftermarket alarm is highly recommended, and leave it at that. We all know that cars get broken into, we dont need a step by step guide for them to follow.
Okay guys, the only thing you can really do is get an aftermarket alarm and park in a better spot. That's it. As for the above statement, I'm pretty sure that the theives knew this before hand and that is why they popped the door handle off instead of just break the windows. Its not a secret that the key can open the windows and theives look for this kind of info. Also, what do you think disabling this feature will gain. Absolutely nothing. Lets say you disable this feature and a theif tries to break in your car. He pops off you door handle, because he knows that the windows will roll down, but the windows do not roll down. Guess what, there goes your window. So your best bet is to get an aftermarket alarm that is really sensitive and park in a more visible spot. This will take care of those smash and grabbers anyways. As far as the real theives who want your car, if they really want it, they'll get it no matter what you put in it.

This is coming from someone who has had two different cars stolen and one broken into. I also have friends who did time for GTA, so I really know how theives think. What can I say, I grew up in the hood.

Last edited by importriders; 02-05-2003 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:12 PM
cotmfk

Well, with all of this new info, I guess deleting this thread is kind of pointless! Oh well!

It is always better to be informed, though.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:35 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I want is for the window roll-down feature to be completely disabled. I don't like the idea of how stealthy you can be getting into the car because you're not breaking windows.

A "break-in" could be accomplished in a crowded parking lot in broad daylight if you don't make any noise.