Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350km and may have to sell

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 02:33 PM
raven150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350km and may have to sell

After driving this vehicle 350km, I may have to sell due to pain from uncomfortable seating position. After trying different seat covers with lumbar support, and shimming of seat angles, I find it impossible to drive in any sort of comfort. I recently retained my BMW 318is back and find it much better. After waiting four months for this car ( a beutiful 350z touring daytona blue automatic) I am very disappointed. I may test drive a M3 (new) this week. I know I will take abig loss, due to depreciation and taxes, but I see no other solution, after a final desperate drive today. After pumping up this car to my friends , I am sure they will wonder why its is gone. It now sits in my garage, as I find I would rather drive my dodge acclaim (winter beater) than this beutiful looking car. To all that will send messages accusing of wimp, or reminding me that it is a sports car, I must say that I have driven everything from stock cars to formula 2000 open wheel race cars. In fact My 1940 ford street rod is much more comfortable. I have even given serious thought to removing the seats and trying the bmw seats in the car. Running out of options and wonder if I will have any success in returning the car to nissan. It should be noted that I have no complaints as to silly things like radio Quality or cup holders. I just want to be able to sit in the car more than 5 minutes without wanting to get out. Thankyou for listening to my Rant. Signed frustrated.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:37 PM
del105
15 f125

Buy some aftermarket seats im sure you can find some that will feel nice on your sensitive ***.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:46 PM
raven150

Have you ever driven any other new sports cars?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:01 PM
hoopjones

All I can say is maybe you should have your back checked out, if you already haven't. I find it hard to believe that the Z's seats are so much worse than the M3's, or even a "1940" ford. If it bothers you so much, why don't you just install new seats? That seems more logical than selling the car itself.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:13 PM
drake3

Hey Raven,

I don't think you are being weak about this. Back pain is about the worst kind and you have to treat your back well. Right now at home I am sitting on a pretty expensive Kimball office chair and keep checking Ebay to see when I can get a Herman Miller Aeron for cheap. Good seating makes a difference.

However, I have to check your thinking on this. You mentioned you are going to look at a new M3? That car probably costs 15 to 20K over what your paid for your Z. Could you not outfit your current Z with aftermarket (Recaro) seats that fit your taste? You could put cool 5 point belts in.

Anyway, this option has to be cheaper than getting a new M3 - but if you like the M3 go for it.

I think the Z is an exellent car, the seats are firm but much well bolstered than my former 2000 328Ci sport. I honestly think they have about the same amount of lumbar support. Do you guys remember when the old Z's had lumbar airbags? Those were DA BOMB! I have not driven the Z for any length, but then I feel very comfortable in the seats.

It is the lumbar support you are missing? I tilted the front of the seat up today and it feels even better now (only had it for 10 days).

Now, can someone tell Dr. Bose to listen to my car because he would definitely fix the stereo if he heard how badly it sounds.
(sorry, my rant)

Drake.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:54 PM
raven150

Thanks for your reply drake. I cannot quite put a handle on the problem. It is my lower back that has the pain. When looking at my bmw it does not look to have any more lumbar suupport than the 350. I did notice that the angle of the lower part of the seat is more, so I shimmed up the back of the seat( it has no adjustment) to no avail. I have tried to sit more upright in the seat ( to no avail) . This is so upsetting, as I was so looking forward to getting this car. It handles awsum, has great throttle response, no other complaints at all. The attention on the streets in my opinion is second to none. The daytona blue color is great. I just cannot drive this car. What I find perplexing is that , other than a few responses of people having to use lumbar pillows, it seems as though Im alone with the severity of this problem, or some are too proud or in denial of the problem with their new purchase. ( I can relate to this as I have not mentioned any problem to anyone I know also) Hate to put thousands more into seats only to find the problem is seating position in reference to steering and peddles. Need an engineer to tell me?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:57 PM
ChadO

If you don't mind my asking: How tall are you, and how much do you weigh?
Old 02-02-2003, 04:04 PM
raven150

5'5" at 150 lbs not thin but not obese
Old 02-02-2003, 04:06 PM
azjimbo

Whine,whine,whine!
Old 02-02-2003, 04:14 PM
raven150

Thanks Azjumbo that a big help, hope you can cover your next payment
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 PM
zeroday

just buy aftermarket seats..end of story?? A hell of alot cheaper than the depreciation hit...I'm 5'9" 150lbs and I don't have any troubles with my back hurting. Maybe they didn't design the Z for the smaller folk.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:44 PM
jj1814

Originally posted by zeroday
just buy aftermarket seats..end of story?? A hell of alot cheaper than the depreciation hit...I'm 5'9" 150lbs and I don't have any troubles with my back hurting. Maybe they didn't design the Z for the smaller folk.
Hey, Hey..no short jokes! LoL Ima drive the hell outta my Z when I get it whether I got back pain, neck pain, or foot pains from stretching to reach the pedals (I'm 5'3"....and FEMALE so u wont think I'm a midget-man)

I notice how when I was preparing for my test drive in the DB Enthusiast 6MT, I had to hold down on the seat adjustment (moving forward towards the pedal) for quite a long time LoL And I also like to pull the steering column all the way down as far as it will go. Mainly because I dont like to look UNDER the top arch or strain to look over it. Secondly, its a lot more comfortable. I can rest my arms on my leg and steer at the bottom of the wheel.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:50 PM
drake3

Raven,

I think Zeroday may be right. I am not sure how Canadian dealers are, but once you take deliver of the car here in the USA it is pretty much yours and you will probably have a large depreciation hit you will take if you trade it in. Maybe the Canadian market is still pretty hot and you could sell it for a good price.

Anyway, do you think it is lumbar? Because the only other major difference I can see between the BMW seats and the Z's is that you are almost laying flat with the bottom of the car when seated. You legs are much closer to the floor board than in a BMW's where the BMW's seats are higher to begin with and have front and back height adjustments.

Maybe that is a problem that can be rectified with aftermarket seats. I am absolutely sure a no-lumbar-support issue can be addressed by new seats.

Oh yeah, and here is the link to Recaro's North American dealer listing. (There is a huge amount for Ontario)
Recaro NAO

And since we are on the subject I found one site with Recaro prices in American currency. They don't look to bad, hmmm, maybe... nahhh - I just bought a home theater system and have no more money left. hahaha.

Check these out

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:04 PM
raven150

Thank you drake! This is the kind of helpful reply I was hoping to receive. I will definitly look in to these seats and the position they can be put in. As for the 5'3" female , thankyou ,you made me smile. Good luck in your new Z. You will be so close to the dash you should mount a cup holder up there.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by raven150
Thank you drake! This is the kind of helpful reply I was hoping to receive. I will definitly look in to these seats and the position they can be put in. As for the 5'3" female , thankyou ,you made me smile. Good luck in your new Z. You will be so close to the dash you should mount a cup holder up there.
I am 6'5" w'34" inseam and bought a 82 Mustang GT w/Recaro seats from the factory, they were $800 as an option in '82 and worth every penny. Manual adjustment , cloth-covered and never an ache or pain. Hands down the BEST car seats I have ever owned. They have orthopedic seats for drivers that are unbelieveable. If you can't find a fit w/a seat from their line, you're hopeless and should committ Seppeku(sp?) immediately. Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:16 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

can you translate 350km to miles for us americans

i was sleeping during the metric system in school
Old 02-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Chris S

I love the Z's seats! If I was to trade my S2000 for a Z, one factor in the Z's favor would be that I find it to be so comfortable.

I agree, aftermarket seats should at least be considered.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:26 PM
drake3

Boomer, Suicide is NOT an option.
And don't talk up the Recaro's anymore, my wallet has a hard enough time staying shut.

Tom, geez dude, you find this board but cannot find a conversion site?

TOM - CLICK THIS

350km = 217.48 'Merican miles.

Wow, I think I have more miles on my brand new Baby.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:30 PM
JZC

I've noticed it too, if I drive fore more than one hour at a time my lower back pains me so much I almost pull over. I'm getting it checked out mid summer to see what's wrong with it.

Although this was in a Pathfinder, I find that sitting in a lower car has helped it some.

I go alot longer in the Z.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:09 PM
raven150

Thankyou JZC for your honest reply. It is an irritating feeling. I will be checking out for recarro seats later this week. I imagine if I do go this route I will loose the seat air bag system?

Quick Reply: 350km and may have to sell