Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Did someone try to steal my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006 | 08:52 PM
Echo853

Default Did someone try to steal my car?

Hoping you guys can help me out with this.

A few minutes ago I heard a car alarm in the parking lot in front of my appt. Because I was lazy tonight and parked my car in front of my appt (instead of the garage at the opposite end of the complex), I checked out my bedroom window, and sure as sh*t, it's my car honking. Two spots down some guy is fooling around in his front seat for something (half in the car, half out, with the light on... and no, I didn't get a good look). I turn off the alarm and set it again (unlock/lock), and head down to check it out. By the time I get down there (~15-20sec later), this guy is gone.

I did a quick check on the car, drove it to the garage, checked it again, and there is nothing wrong with it. No scratches, no damage around the window seals, no damage to the door handles/locks, nothing done to the tires, etc.

I understand that the 350z comes with an immobilizer that ONLY triggers when someone tries to open the car without using a key, correct? And that the system will not alarm if the car is nudged. Well, figuring this guy might have just been playing with the handles, I lock the car (in the garage), wait a minute, and try to open both door handles. Nothing.

So, my question is, what would have caused my "stock" alarm/immobilizer to go off? Was this guy trying to open my car with a screwdriver, or am I just paranoid?

Cheers! -Mike
Old 05-08-2006 | 10:24 PM
thr33fiftyZ33

Could the panic button on your remote got nudged down somehow?

One time, I park my car in my backyard and found my windows rolled down when I had left them up. I went to get my keys, which i keep in a drawer, and found the "unlock" button had been nudged down by some stuff I threw on top.
Old 05-08-2006 | 10:51 PM
Echo853

Originally Posted by thr33fiftyZ33
Could the panic button on your remote got nudged down somehow?
I guess it's possible. The keys are in my pocket, so I guess I could have shifted wrong. Just seems a little strange that the guy would bolt in the 15sec it took me to get down there. Oh well. Last time I don't lock up the car for the night.
Old 05-08-2006 | 11:02 PM
350z_2NR

i thought it would only go off after a few pulls on the door handle? sorry that happen but, maybe it's best, now you know for a fact nothing will happen to it in the future. and it was weird about the guy, if i caught someone like that around my z (if i got there quick enough) i would have used some good ole fashion anti theft device, my fist hah. chances are he wasn't trying to steal your car, prob just cd player and stuff like that.
Old 05-09-2006 | 07:27 AM
fairladyinit

If he was trying to steal your car, he'll be back in 2 weeks. Just a warning. I'm a detective now b/c I watch so much CSI =)
Old 05-09-2006 | 07:44 AM
ChazzReinhold

ROFLCOPTER I love CSI, Im almost a detective 2.