Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone purchase Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Riggz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone purchase Extended Warranty?

What do you guys think of the extended warranty? waste or not?

I know its for peace of mind and really is up to me, but what are your thoughts on them?

With all the issues on the 2003/2004 Z's it leaves me wary of the reliability, even though I purchased an 06.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:26 AM
stein

Ext warranty's are a waste of time IMO. I had an ext on a previous car that they denied the claim on. Spun rod bearing, had just changed oil the day b4. They said I ran it low on oil and added oil after if spun the bearing. If there is a way out of a claim they will find it, mine was easy for them but they will wessle their way out of a claim in a heart beat!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:30 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah I am going through the same type of dilemma, but from a different angle. I also bought a 2006 and I let them sell me the 7 year / 100k mile extended warranty for $1,200.00. First of all, I realize I should not have paid so much for it and I knew that at the time, but I was all negotiated-out when they offered it to me. So one part of me wants to buy back the warranty (which they said I could do) and bank the remaining money, and then theoretically I have a "rainy day" fund for any future car problems. One part that does suck about the extended warranty Nissan offers is that there is a $50 (USD) deductible in the USA for any 'warranty' work they have to do. So really for this 7-year warranty, I am paying $1200 for 4 years coverage (on top of the 3-years that come with the car), or $300 per year...plus an additional $50 (maximum) out of pocket each time I walk into the dealer for a warranty repair. Then I start to wonder...will I have a $350 warranty problem each year with this car? Sure brake work is easily $350 once every few years, but that's not covered. A clutch replacement would probably run $1000 parts/labor but that won't be covered. I have faith in modern engine technology so I hope my engine will run 'forever' as long as I keep up on oil changes and use the proper gasoline. If my HIDs go back I imagine I could install replacements myself.

Even with all these things considered, it's basically an extra $24 per month over my 60 month loan to pay off this extended warranty, and I'm sure that in hindsight it would have been worth it on the day when I suddenly can't engage 5th gear or something like that, and have to get a new transmission installed. I think you just have to make sure you read all of the fine print and take note of everything that is and is not covered, then weigh out the extra money in your pocket now vs. what you think may need to be paid for between mile 36,001 and the day you sell the car.

It's a tough decision....and even though I bought the warranty two months ago, I'm still deciding. Good luck man.

-steve
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Ztalker

extended warranty is a scam.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 AM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+100000000000

I bought and extended one for my 06for $1400 thinking I was doing good, and just cancelled it today. Turns out my bank offers a a way better warranty for only $350. I dont know if I'll do it though, but I 've been through the hassel of extended warranties and its all bullsh*t!!! They always find a loophole around the coverage,
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Kanyon71

I had an extended warranty on my last VW, motor developed some sort of internal crack at 40k miles, total cost out of my pocket to get the motor replaced was $30. That and the cost of the extended over the course of the 5.5 ears I owned the car was WELL worth it. The motor would have cost me a pretty penny to replace. Oh and it covered a rental cr for the entire time the dealer had the car which cost me nothing at all.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Professor_Tim

How do you go about cancelling the extended warranty? I got scammed into the extended deal when I bought mine. I bought the car with 17k miles and i'm at about 24k now. Can I just contact the dealership and tell them I want to cancel the warranty? Any info would be helpful guys.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:37 AM
grifferjr

Before you go making judgements on the warranty from reading what people have said so far, listen to my story. As you know there are always two sides to everything.

I have an 03, in fact I have one of the first ones out of the factory, and 02 build date. Part of the deal I worked had the extended warranty thrown in. I have the "gold level" package. The one that covers almost everything. I say almost because my car has been out of warranty for some time now. Since then I have had to deal with mainly the window motors. The warranty did not cover that and I had to pay out of my pocket. I found a guy parting his Z out and bought them cheap and installed myself.

But.....and there is always a but right??

One day my Z wouldnt start, had it towed to the dealer, and diagnostics showed that it was the Electronic Throttle Control Accuator. Some damn little chip that costs right at 1,000 bucks and without it the car wont run, period. Warranty covered everything. Diagnostic charge, parts, labor and even the tow to the dealer. Final cost..over a grand.

So with that said, you decide. It is something you would like to never have to use, cause in order for it to kick in, that usually means there is something majorly wrong with your car. the avergae stuff it wont cover. but good god if something major should happen, then it is definately a nice thing to have.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
arizonahusker

My take on it - I have always purchased the extended warranty on all my new vehicles and it has never failed that something very expensive has broken a few years down the road and if not for the extended warranty I would have had to pay big bucks. Just another man's view.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Ken Corsun

Default Nissan Extended Warranty?

Are the extended warranties being discussed from Nissan or from a third party?

Ken
Old 05-17-2006, 11:31 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its insurance for the most part. I bought the 100K deal on my ZR,
Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
grifferjr

Originally Posted by Ken Corsun
Are the extended warranties being discussed from Nissan or from a third party?

Ken

My warranty is from "mother" Nissan.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:45 AM
jakesford

i bought the top level preowned warranty through nissan with my 03, and it covers everything (including window motors) which my passenger side quit working the other day . My car is about to go out of powertrain warranty and if my tranny ever takes a dump on me it more than paid for its self!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 PM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the extended warranty, but secretly wonder if I should cash it back in for my fledgling FI fund....
Old 05-17-2006, 01:21 PM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extended warranties are good only if you plan on keeping the car a long long time obviously. I sure wish i wouldnt have let the dealer talk me into spending the extra 1000$ for my extended warranty. I should have know I would want a change of car after 2 years. BEN
Old 05-17-2006, 01:30 PM
GMZ

I got a 100k on mine. I figure Im going to keep it at least 3 more years to pay it off, so it may come in handy someday. Gives me a warm fuzzy knowing if I have some of these tranny issues that I wont have to shell out money out of pocket. I keep ALL maint records/receipts also. I got the Nissan one too btw.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Professor_Tim
How do you go about cancelling the extended warranty? I got scammed into the extended deal when I bought mine. I bought the car with 17k miles and i'm at about 24k now. Can I just contact the dealership and tell them I want to cancel the warranty? Any info would be helpful guys.
just go to the dealer where you bought the warranty and fill out a cancellation form. You will get your refund after they prorate it....simple as that.
i paid 600$ (they wanted 1200$)extended warranty(bumper to bumper) for my 2000 vw and it was a joke..... got my refund back in no time.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On the surface, and extended warranty looks like a reasonable insurance policy. Replace a engine or transmission costs thousands. But read the policy and you will see that the list of exclusions is as long as your arm. I recommend against extended polices.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by Ztalker
extended warranty is a scam.
+1

I sell a vehicle before the warranty ends.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:09 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on keeping mine for years to come, and i know if something goes bad even like a window motor ill be happy to know im covered! i guess its worth the piece of mind!

Quick Reply: Anyone purchase Extended Warranty?