Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First day of driving in the rain (base Z)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 05:30 PM
breakerboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First day of driving in the rain (base Z)

So, today was the first day it rained in So Cal since Ive gotten my car. I now have about 600 miles. Since my base doesnt have traction control I tried to take it easy today.

I went out after it had rained at about 3, the streets were still wet. I was making a left turn and it was a pretty busy intersection so I got a chance to turn but a car was coming on my right so I had to give it a little gas... my back end swung out A LOT and I wasnt even accelerating that much. 2nd time I was at a stop light and I got pretty lazy and stalled, luckily I was the first car and there was no one behind me, I quickly turned the car off and on and gased it. Not too much but still enough.. so my car started peeling out and climbed quickly to about 4.5k rpm It seemed like I was peeling out for a good second or 2, and While it was happening I was looking around hoping there were no cops. The weird thing was that for some reason I didn't think of letting go of the gas, probably because I was just trying to get out of there without stalling again.

Its pretty amazing how the car looses traction so much, I must admit in most cases so far it has been pretty fun but it gets scary sometimes. Im not about to take my car on the freeway, and I dont dare take turns even remotely fast when its raining.. Luckily I live in So Cal, so we hardly ever see rain
Old 02-11-2003, 05:36 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rwd, plus torque, plus rain, always requires caution. it wont do this by itself, just take it easy, dont give it extra gas... even a little is a lot in a high power car.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Intrepid

I have no problems in the rain. I suggest you replace those crap tires:

See here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=tires
Old 02-11-2003, 06:27 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but if you stalled and then got the tach to 4.5k it makes me wonder how experienced of a driver you are. have you ever driven a rwd car before. i only ask b/c i have a base and ive driven in the rain many, many times and have yet to had a problem. Just drive smart.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:34 PM
ares
Veteran

yeah, even in the higher models it lets you know when the tires are slipping, not to mention you can feel it. Ive spun the tires plenty in dry weather(on purpose), in the rain it is no trouble to drive the Z. Im actually quite satisfied with the Z traction in the rain. havent had it hydroplane yet. my last truck with big fat aggressive tread was worse.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:37 PM
walc

Mine drives very well in rain and light snow.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:57 PM
breakerboy

Originally posted by TJZ
Sorry, but if you stalled and then got the tach to 4.5k it makes me wonder how experienced of a driver you are. have you ever driven a rwd car before. i only ask b/c i have a base and ive driven in the rain many, many times and have yet to had a problem. Just drive smart.
I know exactly what you are saying, and I dont have much experience..but that was just a fluke..I got nervous cause I stalled and I have pretty good control of the car now. yes I have driven rwd cars before, but the rwd car that I drove for the past year couldnt have had much more than 100hp... 1984 190E benz 5mt.

Also, the amount of gas I gave it at that stop light would have made my tires spin on dry ground too.. But since the ground was wet it just spinned more

Last edited by breakerboy; 02-11-2003 at 08:02 PM.