Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driver door wont open...HELP....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Z_rican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door wont open...HELP....

I have no keyless entry. I just have one key to get in to my Z. This morning I tried unlocking the door but when I did I noticed that it was a little rough to turn the key. The driver door opened as well as the trunk. I tried to unlock it from the inside and I could not. I searched around and I found a few thread where folks had htis problem but they had ther keyless remote. I have some crappy extended Warranty from GE with a deductible of 200 dollars. I really dont want to take my car to get serviced by the dealer that I bought the car(not a Nissan dealer)and pay 200 dollars. Any ideas. I really hate to get in from the passanger side. Maybe some WD40 inside the lock????
Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_rican
I have no keyless entry. I just have one key to get in to my Z. This morning I tried unlocking the door but when I did I noticed that it was a little rough to turn the key. The driver door opened as well as the trunk. I tried to unlock it from the inside and I could not. I searched around and I found a few thread where folks had htis problem but they had ther keyless remote. I have some crappy extended Warranty from GE with a deductible of 200 dollars. I really dont want to take my car to get serviced by the dealer that I bought the car(not a Nissan dealer)and pay 200 dollars. Any ideas. I really hate to get in from the passanger side. Maybe some WD40 inside the lock????
So were you able to open it or not?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Shift_Z33

You can buy a graphite spray for locks and it works well. Try a hardware store, or call a locksmith and ask where to find it.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by vo7848
So were you able to open it or not?
My bad I meant passanger.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

My bad I meant passanger.
From what I recall, the passenger side doesn't have a key hole. Are you able to put the key in the driver's door, turn it to unlock, but not able to open the driver's door?
Only the passenger door and trunk will unlock, correct?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Z_rican

From what I recall, the passenger side doesn't have a key hole. Are you able to put the key in the driver's door, turn it to unlock, but not able to open the driver's door?
Only the passenger door and trunk will unlock, correct?
That's correct.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
VO...
Administrator

That's correct.
Sounds like either the locking latch is not unlocking on the driver's side or the actuator that unlocks the locking latch is not working. When you use the key to unlock the door, it triggers the electrical actuator to unlock the door. Try this out. Lock your doors. Use the key to unlock your doors. On the 1st turn of the key, listen for the actuator engaging. After unlocking the passenger's door, try opening the driver's door from the inside. When you open it manually from the inside, it's physically unlatching the locking mechanism. If the door does open manually, then you know it's an actuator problem. If it doesn't unlatch, then it's the physical locking mechanism that isn't working.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Z_rican

Sounds like either the locking latch is not unlocking on the driver's side or the actuator that unlocks the locking latch is not working. When you use the key to unlock the door, it triggers the electrical actuator to unlock the door. Try this out. Lock your doors. Use the key to unlock your doors. On the 1st turn of the key, listen for the actuator engaging. After unlocking the passenger's door, try opening the driver's door from the inside. When you open it manually from the inside, it's physically unlatching the locking mechanism. If the door does open manually, then you know it's an actuator problem. If it doesn't unlatch, then it's the physical locking mechanism that isn't working.
Thanks for the info. I tried it a few minutes ago The door did not open. I guess that the locking mechanism is not working. Do you know how much to get this repaired?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 AM
VO...
Administrator

Thanks for the info. I tried it a few minutes ago The door did not open. I guess that the locking mechanism is not working. Do you know how much to get this repaired?
I haven't the slightest clue. You're on your own there buddy.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 AM
oren

sit on the middle console and double kick your passenger door. it helps to put your hands on the roof.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Z_rican

I haven't the slightest clue. You're on your own there buddy.
That's cool. Thanks though.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by oren
sit on the middle console and double kick your passenger door. it helps to put your hands on the roof.

I sure feel like doing that, but on the drivers side.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
VO...
Administrator

I'm curious as to how the repair shop is going to unlatch the lock while the door is closed. I do not think it's possible to remove the door panel while the door is closed.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Z_rican

I'm curious as to how the repair shop is going to unlatch the lock while the door is closed. I do not think it's possible to remove the door panel while the door is closed.
That was going to be my next question to you. Oh man this is no good. I hope that this is covered under my extended warranty. My warranty in not even with Nissan is with GE. Man so far my AC is messed up, my rear defroster, and now my door wont open.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Z_rican

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:49 PM
elmo

what is GE? General Electric?? If the car is used then it probably is not covered under warranty by Nissan anymore. I'd advise just taking it to a nissan dealer and having it fixed.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:02 PM
abyss

def go to a dealer and get this fixed..and have your key fobs ordered...isn't the keyless entry standard?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by elmo
what is GE? General Electric?? If the car is used then it probably is not covered under warranty by Nissan anymore. I'd advise just taking it to a nissan dealer and having it fixed.
It's used. I dont have Nissan Warranty. I guess that I will call my warranty folks and see what can be done.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by abyss
def go to a dealer and get this fixed..and have your key fobs ordered...isn't the keyless entry standard?
I did not buy this car from Nissan. I got it somewhere slse. It did not come with the key fobs...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Z_rican

Does anybody know how to take the door panel apart while the door is closed???

Quick Reply: Driver door wont open...HELP....