Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My car is too loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
tmounk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My car is too loose

I've noticed in the past week that my car has gotten loose over bumps. Yesterday I was on the interstate going about 65 and it felt like I had a flat or the road was really uneven, I checked and everything was straight. It's not as stiff as it was before and when going over uneven bumps on the road, it sways left to right, which it never did before. The only work I got done to the car is relubing the driveshaft or axel that was clicking on 1st and 2nd, also it took away the grinding problem from the tranny. I also got the recal done on the fuel hose. I have an 03 touring and it has always been stiff. I have 32K and I think it's out of warrenty.

Any hints to what it is that is causing the car to get loose.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 AM
bmac03z

ball joint, hub bearing, tie rod end, steering rack....hard to tell
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by tmounk
I've noticed in the past week that my car has gotten loose
****!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
****!
Maybe someone else is driving her.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
tmounk

Don't be disrespecting my car..
She's sensitive
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
fredloc

well i have an 06 and i think i have the same problem. the only thing that comes to mine is the road. I would feel my car pulling side to side only in some highways.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe check the tire pressure,if you have directional tires,did the guy put them on the wrong side.just a suggestion.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:15 PM
VO...
Administrator

The only thing I can think of that would cause bad vibration in a vehicle is either bad shocks/struts, feathered tires, or really stiff springs. Have you inspected the tires for feathering?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
HighwaySpeed

Quote:
I've noticed in the past week that my car has gotten loose

****!

Hey! Leave the ex out of this!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A car being loose and a lack of stiffness in the suspension are two different things.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
240Zplus110

The fuel hose recall involves dropping the whole rear suspension sub-assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if the springs haven't re-seated properly -- Take it back and get them to do an inspection.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 PM
macca44

have just pm you with the email address of one of our members who has been having the same problem, she has heaps of info on this issue but cant get into this site at the moment
Old 07-06-2006, 01:46 AM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've noticed in the past week that my car has gotten loose over bumps. Yesterday I was on the interstate going about 65 and it felt like I had a flat or the road was really uneven, I checked and everything was straight. It's not as stiff as it was before and when going over uneven bumps on the road, it sways left to right, which it never did before. The only work I got done to the car is relubing the driveshaft or axel that was clicking on 1st and 2nd, also it took away the grinding problem from the tranny. I also got the recal done on the fuel hose. I have an 03 touring and it has always been stiff. I have 32K and I think it's out of warrenty.

Hi tmounk,
I'm Macca's club mate from NZ, with the 350 troubles. Yeah, had majors with my 2004 touring I've had since brand spanking new.
Issues started to surface about 6 months ago now, but according to all the data I have collected myself, alignments etc the problem has been there for over a year but only recently surfacing full on, eeeekkk!! Basically become worse over the last 3 months. Similar to what you have described, except more, drifting to left feeling, wobbling, body roll feeling, vibration, alignment pulling out extremely quickly like you wouldn't believe (and no, that's nothing to do with parking by curb, hehe), check out posts on our forum in NZ, might help a little bit.

http://www.nz300zx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=421
http://www.nz300zx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=856

I ended up at Nissan's suggestion because they hadn't been able to resolve obtaining independent assessments, which I did, 3 in fact, and it goes like this:

The amount of play in the supposidly fixed end of the half shaft is excessive, no where near fixed, blatantly obvious when you get hold of the half shaft and give it a good tug back and forth, movement of about 4cms approximately.

It has been causing a few other issues because of the vibration, but we're crossing everything that these come right when the vibration is gone. Half shafts are finally being stripped down next Thursday.

Good luck, and will be interested to see what the issue is with your 350 & I really hope your 350 doesn't suffer the same problems.

Last edited by BRONZEE; 07-06-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:43 AM
tmounk

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Hi tmounk,
I'm Macca's club mate from NZ, with the 350 troubles. Yeah, had majors with my 2004 touring I've had since brand spanking new.
Issues started to surface about 6 months ago now, but according to all the data I have collected myself, alignments etc the problem has been there for over a year but only recently surfacing full on, eeeekkk!! Basically become worse over the last 3 months. Similar to what you have described, except more, drifting to left feeling, wobbling, body roll feeling, vibration, alignment pulling out extremely quickly like you wouldn't believe (and no, that's nothing to do with parking by curb, hehe), check out posts on our forum in NZ, might help a little bit.

http://www.nz300zx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=421
http://www.nz300zx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=856

I ended up at Nissan's suggestion because they hadn't been able to resolve obtaining independent assessments, which I did, 3 in fact, and it goes like this:

The amount of play in the supposidly fixed end of the half shaft is excessive, no where near fixed, blatantly obvious when you get hold of the half shaft and give it a good tug back and forth, movement of about 4cms approximately.

It has been causing a few other issues because of the vibration, but we're crossing everything that these come right when the vibration is gone. Half shafts are finally being stripped down next Thursday.

Good luck, and will be interested to see what the issue is with your 350 & I really hope your 350 doesn't suffer the same problems.
Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it. I was looking to change the oil today with Royal Purple, the first time, I currently run Mobil 1, but not satisfied. Since this is a big issue with safety, and my wife occasionally drives it. I’m going to hold off on the oil change and send it to the shop until the problem is fixed….
I knew I should have never had them do the recall, I was kind of expecting problems after the work has been done. Now I have to take it back and go through the same crap that they always put people through.

Again thanks for the links. Your ride is to “too many shinny man”..
Let me know if they fixed your problem with the half shaft…
Old 07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

tmounk, I also had an axle problem on the same offending right hand side before the other troubles surfaced, seems to a trend forming.
When they put your 350 up on the hoist make sure they give it a very good hard tug, no pansy mucking around, or it won't be so obvious if it's the same thing. Approximately 4 cms play, on what is supposed to be the fixed end of the half shaft. Very disconcerting feeling, and gets worse over time and caused side issues because of the vibration.

Will keep you posted and hope you can get your 350 in the shop very, very soon!!!

Oh, hehe, my very shiny 350, I used to groom cars for a big car show over here, so do crazy stuff like vacuum the engine bay, wax inside the bonnet, up on hoist if have access to sparkle clean underneath etc, etc!! Too funny.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 AM
tmounk

I dropped the car off yesterday after work and I should have a typical answer from them today. I know exactly what they are going to say and most of you allready know too. But that's fine because I went to Nissan conumer before and have to shame in going back again. This is more of a safty issue than performance.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 AM
cessna

So is my gf. Quit *****ing!lol !!! J/K

(Baby if your reading this, I`m soo joking)
Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by cessna
So is my gf. Quit *****ing!lol !!! J/K

(Baby if your reading this, I`m soo joking)
Don't worry Lou, I won't let her look at the computer.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 AM
cessna

Don't worry Lou, I won't let her look at the computer.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Hi Tmounk,
Hmm, starting to wonder the more I read on 350 forums how many people have had trouble with axle ticking?? My 350 had that problem same side as the half shaft that is very sick at the moment. Just starting to wonder if some of us landed up with a bad batch of half shafts globally??? Makes you think aye. R--e--c--a--l--l!! Perhaps

Nissan NZ had closed the job on my 350 about 3 times now, and each time I've re-opened the job, as the car seriously has issues for the last 3 months. Problems became evident at 30k's roughly, now up to 44k.

Last edited by BRONZEE; 07-09-2006 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: My car is too loose