Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Close call

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 08:34 AM
black300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close call

I was driving to work this morning on the highway doing about 75. I changed to the middle lane as I approach my exit, about 5 car lengths in front of me was a huge flat bed truck with a lot of cargo strapped on it. I didn't like the look of it and wanted to change lanes but there were many cars traveling on the right lane closed together. All of the sudden, about 4 big pieces of wood/plywood come flying out of the truck. There was no room on the other lanes to move to, I could only watch all those pieces coming straight at me. Before they hit the ground I was already on the brakes. Good thing no one was behind me, the Z slowed down fast without drama and I came to almost a complete stop in the middle of the highway! I changed lanes now that I had a chanced but came very close to hitting one of the pieces (they spreaded out over the lanes).

I saw the truck pull over afterwards as I got off the highway. I'm so glad I always pay extra attention to those big truck with open cargo, you can't assume it's securely strapped down.

I checked my front end when I got to work and did not see any damage. That was a close one!

Eduardo
Old 02-26-2003, 09:53 AM
Z'd

I hate it when those truckers hit the "dump cargo" switch!!!!!!

Congrats on good reflexes (and a little luck!!!)
Old 02-26-2003, 10:08 AM
djkern
Banned

Where in boston are you from? I take Rt2 to work (to waltham from arlington...soon moving to woburn)...which highway did this happen on? where did this all happen?

we should start up some sort of Z group in boston for the spring and summer. i'd be interested in showing these babies off! i've only seen two other zs in boston (one driving down landsdown street like 5 minutes after i parked there and one parked in the mall parking lot in burlington...so i parked next to it! haha)
Old 02-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once when I was traveling I had bike getting loose in front of me. From those bike holeders they attach behind trunk, and then put 10 bikes on it... So the bike got freedom, and sturt bouncing of the higway in front of me. Good thing it was cheap heavy bike, so inertion kept him moving forward. So I had time to safely slow down and change lines. It happened in Boston, btw. On that higway around the city...
Old 02-26-2003, 10:31 AM
cotmfk

Default Re: Close call

Originally posted by black300zx

always pay extra attention to those big truck with open cargo, you can't assume it's securely strapped down.
That's the truth!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 PM
black300zx

- djkern

This happened on Rt128 North, just before the exit for the Mass Pike.

There are others in this site in the area, do a search and check the Regional Forums.

Once the weather improves we should be able to arrange a meet.

Eduardo