Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test driving your 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
semtex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miko
The dealer needs to invest in buying a scrap model, used Z that people could "test" out, ripping through the gears and all that. People who consider the Z know about it's performance...unlike other models..not much to see if you WOT them.

My local Subaru dealership did that with their STi -- had one dedicated to test drives.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
kdogg24

I took it easy on the first Z I drove. But then I drove harder on the Z I bought because it already had 12,200 miles on it.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
tytalian

i've driven z's in the past so i didn't have to test drive mine. the dealer asked me to drive it to make sure it was the car i wanted. had 12 and a half miles when i took it home.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:10 AM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hope nobody abused my Z on any test drives before i bought it.

I tested a different one but didnt really open it up a whole lot. Currently my car has 260 miles on it and i've never seen WOT or anything above 4000RPM's in any Z. I'm pretty sure this is worse than having blueballs.

Last edited by moflow; 08-31-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 AM
wrxto350z

my sales man was trying too hard to sell the car while on the test drive. coming from a heavily modded wrx, the z was a step down in straight line performance, but he (the salesman) kept saying, "alot more power than your used to huh?" i was like, "could you keep your mouth shut, your runining this for me." after the test drive, i told him, my wrx would own the z, and he was in disbelief, so i took him out in it, and he was amazed. either was i am happier with me z. it handles so much smoother than my wrx ever did, and that is a big deal to me because i like to auto-x alot. but to stay on topic, i drove the z like a civilized person would. on the way home from the dealership was a different story
Old 08-31-2006, 07:27 AM
savvy

Originally Posted by davidv
I bought a 350Z without ever having driven one.

i did the same, i never even sat in one before i bought it. They didn't even have one on the lot for me to look closely at hahaha i have just been seeing them driving around the street for like 2 years and it was love at first sight
Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Miko

By eyeballing one I knew I wanted it. Only took it for a test drive because that was the standard procedure...

Anyways, I love the confidence I'd have in buying a Subaru. They do not let you take it over 4K RPMs and really monitor your driving of the car. Makes the buyer feel stress free about thoughts of abuse to a car he/she would be owner of. Props to them.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 AM
blown in nc

I test drove the exact model in a color I didn't plan to get and rode it hard

Then said I like the silverstone one better and took it home with only 4 miles on its clock!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 AM
marhot

Originally Posted by wrxto350z
my sales man was trying too hard to sell the car while on the test drive.
My “salesman” didn’t know anything about the Z. I would ask questions on the ride and he’d mumble something, then wanted to show me how the A/C and radio worked. Finally, he admitted he really didn’t know anything about the car; they’d had just few in and couldn’t keep them on the lot. At that time the dealership was still selling Oldsmobile -he mainly was selling old folks!!

After the test drive, I gave him a walk around the Z, explaining things, pointing out features, showing how things worked etc. I’d been researching and been lurking on this site about 6 months before I got my Z, I pretty much knew the car backward and forward. Afterward he seem genuinely thankful to me for explaining things and was asking me things about the car before I left.

Last edited by marhot; 08-31-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:05 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by wrxto350z
my sales man was trying too hard to sell the car while on the test drive. coming from a heavily modded wrx, the z was a step down in straight line performance, but he (the salesman) kept saying, "alot more power than your used to huh?" i was like, "could you keep your mouth shut, your runining this for me." after the test drive, i told him, my wrx would own the z, and he was in disbelief, so i took him out in it, and he was amazed. either was i am happier with me z. it handles so much smoother than my wrx ever did, and that is a big deal to me because i like to auto-x alot. but to stay on topic, i drove the z like a civilized person would. on the way home from the dealership was a different story
There is a local racecar driver for circuit that races in an Evo. Supposedly they are number one and the car that he bought for himself is a 350Z. He put a 100 shot of N2O on it. Subarus may be faster, but the Z is fun.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:07 AM
wrxto350z

Originally Posted by streetracer
Subarus may be faster, but the Z is fun.
this is sooooo true! i love driving my z!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
just4AhoZZZ

i was looking for a z for a couple of months before i finally went to the dealership.. the only one they had was a roadster and it was auto on the showroom floor.. i asked the salesperson if i could test drive it and they said no.. so two days later i bought my 05 from this kid on craigslist.. didn't even test drive it... love the car
Old 08-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Darlos

I test drove one before i bought mine. The salesman saw right away that I already knew pretty much everything about the car, so he didn't bother trying show me the features (Just told me to turn off VDC if I was really going to drive it!). I enjoyed the test drive, and it was pretty decent, not just around the block. Sadly the highway was fairly backed up so i didn't get to go particularily fast. I gave it some decent throttle in 2nd and a little of 3rd. To be honest it didnt really feel as fast as I thought it would, but I still enjoyed the drive, and I love the car. Then a couple months later I let one of my friends drive it.... thats when it felt a lot faster.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Fletch69z

I was gentle and rolled into the throttle but I did accelerate. Mine was used with 16K on it when I bought it though, so that doesn't really count, .