Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Getting a 350Z stick or auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
DevineOrn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilov350ZEE
ok is there any risk of ruining or braking the tranny or engine?

I think i'll just get auto, how strong is the automatic on 350Z? Im currently driving an 04 accord V6 auto w/ intake, exhaust and a really bad TRANNY. I drive normal i dont push the car over its limit, i dunno honda auto V6 sucks they are so weak.
nonsense! i learned on my z, my little bro learned on my z, my x girl learned on my z (i have a community z) and i'm still on my first clutch at about 57K mi.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 PM
cavallino33

Originally Posted by Wendy
Go for Manuel if you dont mind driving it.
I don't think Manuel will appreciate that.

sorry I just had to.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
carlitoss2000

That's exactly how I did...........I tried to learn how to drive manual when I was 17 but quickly got frustrated cuz I never had the time from going to the field and I being used to driving around my automatic. But this year I decided I would buy the Z and I definately wasn't going to be automatic. I bought the car without knowing stick. My friend took me to an empty parking lot and we practiced for about an hour..........from there I took a chance and made the 30 minute drive home by myself, it was scary as hell but I did it.........I pissed off a few people on the way but I ended up getting the hang of it. From then on I started taking my car out for drives everyday to practice on reverse, stop signs, uphill drives and normal stop and go on first.........I must say now that after 4-5 months of driving my car everyday I've become quite good at it. The Z are very easy cars to drive...........take a risk.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 PM
dudegetalife

ya first car was an auto ( 03 mustang) and i have been regretting not getting a manual, i don't know how to drive it either but a z will be my first experience if i ever get the cash to buy 1
Old 09-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Ilov350ZEE

im getting the car tomorrow, i will first try to drive the auto then the manual i'll ask the salesperson to teach me lol. my decision is 60%/40 auto/stick
Old 09-03-2006, 09:51 PM
DevineOrn

Originally Posted by cavallino33
Originally Posted by Wendy
Go for Manuel if you dont mind driving it.
I don't think Manuel will appreciate that.

sorry I just had to.
lol, manuel
Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
slam

You'll probably end up getting the auto because you can instantly drive it now and enjoy the car with no problems. You may however, regret getting the auto 6 months to a year or more down the road because in my opinion having an AT in a sports car makes it just a "sporty car" but not a true sports car. Owning and driving a 350Z is an experience. You cannot get the full experience with an auto tranny.

Manuals aren't for everyone..some people absolutely hate them or are too lazy to want to do anything more than just step on the gas and turn the steering wheel.

If you do decide to get the manual hopefully you're a quick learner because you may get frustrated that you're in a 350Z but mini-vans and suv's are beating you from stop lights because it takes you a while to launch the car. But practice makes perfect and pretty soon you'll have it down
Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Spoiled Z

Listen I'm a female and when I purchased my 350z I didnt how to drive manual. In fact I only have driven stick a few times a few years ago. Even though I used to ride motorcycle it still wasnt the same. I drove it off from the lot not knowing how to drive stick. The car was jerking and I was terrified. And after practicing for a few days I finally got the hang of it. Now I'm really thankful that I bought a manual. I have no regrets and I wish I learned sooner when I had my Mazda RX8. I think my biggest regret was buying an A/T RX8.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 PM
The MVPlaya

Don't buy a a/t sports car.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Zmazing03

Go to the dealer. Buy the manual. Get in the car.

Learn.

Thats how I did it and it worked fine.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:34 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

get the daytona blue cuz theres too much silver stones like one of them being me
Old 09-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Ilov350ZEE

thats the color im getting
Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is preference as well. I had an 05 MT and did the same as many others...learned by driving it home. Just make sure they show you how to get into reverse. The sales man brought the car to a spot that faced downhill against a curb and I put the car in 6th gear, thinking it was reverse (many 5sp you go far right for reverse), so I stalled and rolled into the curb infront of about 10 people including the sales guys and my wife and kids in their new armada.

I now drive an 06 touring A/T. I love it and the car is highly modified and customized. It is faster than my 05 M/T but the mods are different, so I can't compare. The Z is an absolute beauty to own either way. If you are using this as your daily driver and have to commute far, you may consider A/T. If you wan't to take it to the track, go M/T. Otherwise, it's your call.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:48 AM
teknochild

Originally Posted by Spoiled Z
Listen I'm a female and when I purchased my 350z I didnt how to drive manual. In fact I only have driven stick a few times a few years ago. Even though I used to ride motorcycle it still wasnt the same. I drove it off from the lot not knowing how to drive stick. The car was jerking and I was terrified. And after practicing for a few days I finally got the hang of it. Now I'm really thankful that I bought a manual. I have no regrets and I wish I learned sooner when I had my Mazda RX8. I think my biggest regret was buying an A/T RX8.

that had to be embarasing, the sales guys were probably having a laugh hiding somewhere watchig you drive off
Old 09-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Crewctlvr

There are many issues you have to face. I have an automatic Z and it is fun and you can shift it manually if you want. I have owned several manual transmission cars so shifting is not a problem. My wife is also capable of shifting a manual so that was not an issue. My brother in law works on transmissions for a truck rental place and said most of the time when you figure in the clutch the auto is more reliable. Now, I prefer a stick for sheer fun I but tend to drive a stick harder than I do in an automatic and that has a negative effect on gas mileage. The other tendency I have is to speed with a stick because I tend to drive by the sound rather than the speedometer. I do not regret getting an automatic nor do I ever regret getting a stick in any other car I have bought. Assuming both cars have not been hurt, either choice would be a good one so you might to with the one with less mileage or the one in the best condition.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Suvlaki

Everyone who has read my threads on MT vs. AT has seen me fight and fight and fight lol.

No fighting in this one though. Since you already said that you want the MT but just dont know how to drive it, dont buy the AT. Buy the damn MT and learn, it is less complex than you think. Like others have said, within a week you'll be comfortable.

I don't like people who buy the ATs because they dont know how to drive MT. You buy the AT cuz you want one, or you buy the MT cuz you want one.. that's it. I chose the AT because I wanted it, and I have plans for my AT tranny in the future.

Since you want the MT, buy it, learn it, enjoy it...

Last edited by Suvlaki; 09-04-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 AM
nareg

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
Go to the dealer. Buy the manual. Get in the car.

Learn.

Thats how I did it and it worked fine.
THATS EXACTLY HOW I DID IT.... AND I HATE TO SAY IT BUT DONT GET THE BLUE ONE... UNLESS THEY GOT A BLUE MANUAL Z.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Default Stick or Auto?

In my mind the only way to fly is with the stick. An auto is a waste of money to get. I like the 6 speed and an auto is just not as nuch fun.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:52 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
oh yeah, my350z.com guys, please don't make this another AT vs. MT thread!!!
Getting a 350Z stick or auto

Let me guess, you drive an automatic?

Old 09-04-2006, 09:57 AM
xNeo

I got the auto due to traffic, and I regret it. I'm thinking of trading my 6 mth old Z for to get a Manual tranny.

Quick Reply: Getting a 350Z stick or auto