Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looked at trading in my Z today. Depreciation is a *****!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:18 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Looked at trading in my Z today. Depreciation is a *****!

Was going to trade for a Silverstone Track in Austin if I could keep the payments roughly the same via better interest rates and not paying MSRP. Dealer offered $28K for my immaculate 6MT Touring with 10K miles. I almost threw up when I heard the bid, but felt a little better when they showed me they paid $28.5K for another 6MT Touring with only 2K miles. I could have pursued the negotiation process and asked why they needed to f**k me on the price again when they just made MSRP off of me six months ago, but wasn't in the mood. It's really not worth that kind of hit to avoid upgrading the brakes out of pocket.

So, the standard, instant depreciation on all Zs hovers around $8K. Man, that's harsh.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:29 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll do so much better if you sell your Z privately- but seriously, why not a set of Stop Tech's for the front? That will run you about $2K... Are you looking to do some track events?

-Ethan
Old 03-19-2003, 01:39 PM
droideka

Originally posted by ethan84ae
You'll do so much better if you sell your Z privately- but seriously, why not a set of Stop Tech's for the front? That will run you about $2K... Are you looking to do some track events?

-Ethan
I am going to do the StopTech fronts, it's just easier getting a Track w/Brembos than convincing the wife I need new brakes.

"Didn't your car come with brakes? Why do you need new ones? I want to do the five grand in landscaping this year!"
Old 03-19-2003, 02:07 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looked at trading in my Z today. Depreciation is a *****!

Originally posted by droidekaus
Was going to trade for a Silverstone Track in Austin if I could keep the payments roughly the same via better interest rates and not paying MSRP. Dealer offered $28K for my immaculate 6MT Touring with 10K miles. I almost threw up when I heard the bid, but felt a little better when they showed me they paid $28.5K for another 6MT Touring with only 2K miles. I could have pursued the negotiation process and asked why they needed to f**k me on the price again when they just made MSRP off of me six months ago, but wasn't in the mood. It's really not worth that kind of hit to avoid upgrading the brakes out of pocket.

So, the standard, instant depreciation on all Zs hovers around $8K. Man, that's harsh.
Hey,check with Coz, www.ConceptZperformance.com He has a special on brakes.Talk with him about the stock Brembos that come on the track.Regards,Tom
Old 03-19-2003, 02:14 PM
2003z

Brad, keep an eye out on the G35forums. I know 2 people who have bought complete brembo setups, 1 for 2500 and one for around 2 or so.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:35 PM
rjsmit1

I did a little math on Edmunds.com used car values and determined that average first year depreciation was around 20% for a collection of sports cars I chose. The post should still be around if anyone wants to see the details.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:59 PM
all_bark

you will feel not only the hit of depreciation but you will feel the double twang of having to pay the taxes again!

Ouch, put on the stoptechs's!
Old 03-19-2003, 08:38 PM
rodH

I would think it would be MUCH easier for the wife to understand an upgrade in brakes, VS a COMPLETE CAR, NO???
Old 03-20-2003, 05:56 AM
SunsetZ

The one big advantage of selling to a dealer besides the time required to find someone to buy it, is that you only pay taxes on the difference in prices. When you sell to an individual, then go buy the track model, then you have to pay full taxes again, not just on the difference.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:23 AM
MallocFailure

The one big advantage of selling to a dealer besides the time required to find someone to buy it, is that you only pay taxes on the difference in prices. When you sell to an individual, then go buy the track model, then you have to pay full taxes again, not just on the difference.
Is this always true of trade-ins? So if I get $7500 for my trade in, for tax purposes, it's like I paid $7500 less? Man I hope you're right!!
Old 03-20-2003, 08:33 AM
droideka

Originally posted by MallocFailure
Is this always true of trade-ins? So if I get $7500 for my trade in, for tax purposes, it's like I paid $7500 less? Man I hope you're right!!
That's not how it works in Texas. Here, if you buy say a $35K car and get $5K for a trade-in, you pay taxes on $30K instead of $35K.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:35 AM
SunsetZ

So you should be saying that IS how it is in Texas. That is how it is in all states I believe. You only pay taxes on the difference.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:28 AM
droideka

Originally posted by SunsetZ
So you should be saying that IS how it is in Texas. That is how it is in all states I believe. You only pay taxes on the difference.
I know. WTF was I trying to say?

That's what happens when you don't give your full attention to f**king off and posting on auto forums. I was actually doing my job at the same time.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Traffic

I know. WTF was I trying to say?

That's what happens when you don't give your full attention to f**king off and posting on auto forums. I was actually doing my job at the same time.
Need you report the full sales price of the car? I sold my Jetta before I got my Z, used the proceeds for my Z, but didn't report anything. (maybe I shouldn't be saying that) I guess I'll take the chance of getting audited.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:49 PM
retrodog

Yep, in Texas you gotta take the trade-in amount they offer you and multiply it by 1.065 to get what a private sale would take to let you break even.

Edit: And another thing to consider. You bought the newest return of the lonnnnng awaited Z car. You paid premium price to be one of the first on the block. You should have planned on keeping it longer than a few months. You were a little naive if you thought that you wouldn't get screwed. Think about all the people who paid $3-5k over MSRP. That's an instant additional depreciation for them after it was dropped. You should NEVER buy a new car unless you know you want it bad and plan to keep it for years.

I'd go for the aftermarket brakes cause that will be a lot less painful it seems.

Last edited by retrodog; 03-20-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:54 PM
mark_wilkins

droidekaus:

Just get the brakes! Why a whole new car??

Anyway, the higher the value of the car, the worse the trade-in. Private party sales would probably get you a few thousand more, at least.

-- Mark
Old 03-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Michael-Dallas

"Didn't your car come with brakes? Why do you need new ones? I want to do the five grand in landscaping this year!"
I don't understand how your wife can spend $5k to landscape your already landscaped yard. I paid $4k to get my yard landscaped and your yard still looks better than mine.

Michael.