Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I'm keeping the Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:29 PM
carlitoss2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm keeping the Z

After thinking about all of last week and looking at the pros and cos of owning a Z.............I decided I would hold on to the car for another 2-3 years until I definately have to buy a four door. I originally posted a thread on my car having gone down in value. I have one question to ask you guys; the service warranty worth around 3000 k is good for 100 miles, which I don't plan to have my Z that long, I use my Z as a daily car. I don't push it hard, don't race, don't try to pull any crazy stunts with it. It's my baby and take very good care of it. As far as the service warranty is concerned though, I was thinking of cancelling it and putting the money towards paying off the car. The people at nissan are jerks, (Mossy Nissan) and they're just hard to deal with. I always feel like they're trying to screw me over and then I lose my head and want to kill them........lol

Did any of you guys buy the service warranty? have you guys had any problems with your car after 30-35 thousand miles..........just wondering if it's a good idea to get rid of warranty.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:36 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by carlitoss2000
After thinking about all of last week and looking at the pros and cos of owning a Z.............I decided I would hold on to the car for another 2-3 years until I definately have to buy a four door. I originally posted a thread on my car having gone down in value. I have one question to ask you guys; the service warranty worth around 3000 k is good for 100 miles, which I don't plan to have my Z that long, I use my Z as a daily car. I don't push it hard, don't race, don't try to pull any crazy stunts with it. It's my baby and take very good care of it. As far as the service warranty is concerned though, I was thinking of cancelling it and putting the money towards paying off the car. The people at nissan are jerks, (Mossy Nissan) and they're just hard to deal with. I always feel like they're trying to screw me over and then I lose my head and want to kill them........lol

Did any of you guys buy the service warranty? have you guys had any problems with your car after 30-35 thousand miles..........just wondering if it's a good idea to get rid of warranty.

Mossy just about has a monopoly of Nissan in SD county and it is sad when the service of a dealer can make you never want to buy another product again. Unfortunately, I have had the same type of experience at Mossy. It seesm like they have hired a bunch of teenagers to run the service dept lately and they have no clue on how to treat a customer.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:45 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Yes get rid of the warranty and pay off the car. Unless you are one of those who put 50k in 1 year as seen in some ads where a used car goes for cheap, then there's no point in keeping it. I have had my Z for almost 2 years and put 30k of my own with a total of 40k. I almost bought the warranty but glad I didn't.

On a side note I think the extended warranty will increase the value, but not by 3k.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:46 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlitoss2000
I have one question to ask you guys; the service warranty worth around 3000 k is good for 100 miles, which I don't plan to have my Z that long, I use my Z as a daily car. I don't push it hard, don't race, don't try to pull any crazy stunts with it. It's my baby and take very good care of it. As far as the service warranty is concerned though, I was thinking of cancelling it and putting the money towards paying off the car.

have you guys had any problems with your car after 30-35 thousand miles..........just wondering if it's a good idea to get rid of warranty.
1) The factory warranty (engine and drive train) is 5 years and 60K!

2) I always own (at least) 3 vehicles, (normally a Camry, a Frontier, and sport/performance toy) We drive approx 50K miles a year, and usually keep vehicles 100-120K. I have not spent $3000 for repairs in the last 10 years.

bill
Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 PM
carlitoss2000

I've had my car for about 7-8 months now. I've only put in 8500 miles and I'm thinking I'm going to be averaging around 10-11k a year. Like I said before, I don't push my hard at all and very rarely step on it.........I'm pretty cautions now after a wreckless driving almost two years ago. I want to be able to enjoy the car for myself and not for the other people on the road.

So yes, I've been taking my car to the maintenace at other places.........same price, better service and at least I get to see exactly what kind of oil the put it as they pull it right out of the sales floor. If I cancel my warranty now I'll be putting almost 3k into my loan. I dropped 9k on my car when I bought it and so I only owe just over 20 k.

When I spoke with the people at nissan they told me it would be a bad idea to sell the warranty. They made it seem like Nissans, specially the Z, often required fixing..........I was pretty pissed off. I think I'm going to cancel it.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:02 PM
HighwaySpeed

I don't buy extended warranties.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Consumer Reports has a worthwhile critique on extended warranties. It is a good read.

Last edited by davidv; 11-24-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:20 PM
rwalton1129

I bought an extended warranty with my 06 Z and within 30 days decided to sell it back.. wasn't worth it in my opinion...I say dont get it...

Ryan
Old 11-25-2006, 12:31 PM
carlitoss2000

Thanks guys.............I read some articles on consumer reports and after reading your advice I decided to sell back the warranty and keep the Z. Hopefully I'll be able to pay it off in the next couple of years after I refi my house...........I'm 22 living in california. I was deployed to Iraq for around 14 months and well, I never really bought anything for myself, except the RSX.........but it wasn't really what I wanted.............I never thought I could afford a nice car let alone a Z but when I went to the dealership and was offered a really low APR 4.9...........I had to go for the opportunity.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by zland
Mossy just about has a monopoly of Nissan in SD county and it is sad when the service of a dealer can make you never want to buy another product again. Unfortunately, I have had the same type of experience at Mossy. It seesm like they have hired a bunch of teenagers to run the service dept lately and they have no clue on how to treat a customer.
Hmm, I've never had a problem with Mossy (the one in Oceanside).. They have always worked with me on my car with no problems, same with my brother....

Although its been about 8 months since i've been there, maybe they hired some new people since i've been there <shrug>