Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how well will the 350z drive in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 05:35 PM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not as ugly as having a car like this sitting in the garage all winter. This is not an exotic. Drive it and have fun.
By the way. You should not drive with the high performance tires in cold winters even if you do not plan to drive in the snow. The compound for ultra perfomance tires (which I assume will come on the Z) are not made for colt temperatures and I have seen things such aas cracking of the rubber etc. when people attempt this. Put on snow or all seasons and you will be fine. All of us in cold winters should write Michelin, Dunlop, and Bridgestone asking them to make a winter tire in our size.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Zmeflyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt consider drivin the 350 when it snows. my dad will prolly let me take out his lx450, so i aint have ton worry about spending $$$ on winter tires
Old 05-15-2002, 04:43 AM
fatboydeepak

Originally posted by Zay

fatboydeepak (what's the meaning behind the name?)

Put a few more pennies away and get a little hoopty to kick around in when the weather is bad. I know... easier said than done. But, it just might be worth it.
I've been toying with that idea...but the whole concept bothers me...to spend $30 000 on a car and have it sit around for half the year depreciating while i drive a **** box with a fraction of the performance and none of the creature comforts i've become accustomed to...i'd rather just buy some good snow tires, learn how to really drive the car and drive in style all year around

btw, my name isn't cuz i'm a fatso, it's a ripoff of Fatboy Slim...British music artist/dj. I'm not a huge fan, but i thought the name sounded funny
Old 05-15-2002, 04:46 AM
fatboydeepak

Originally posted by 350zDeity
I know it would vary a lot depending on location and tire brand/grade, but could someone give an estimate on getting some pretty good snow tires for a car like the 350Z? Also.. probably another naive question, but , can they swap the tires on the wheel, or is necessary to get a whole other rim/spokes..etc?

From the tire rack, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, winter tires for the s2000, go for $610 for a set of 4, including shipping. From what i've read, an s2k fit with blizzaks drives as well as any FWD car in snowy/icey conditions...
Old 05-15-2002, 08:15 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default sportscar in snowtires

Good god ZAY you are so right, it would be butt-ugly and it wouldn't be right unless they were some new kind of fancy new radial performance snow tire..I am in the same boat, I worry if we get a snow dump whe I am at work and I can't drive my baby home, or worse yet I hit some blasted black ice and slam her into a high curb or worse yet an SUV
Old 05-15-2002, 08:19 AM
fatboydeepak

Default Re: sportscar in snowtires

Originally posted by marcZZZ
Good god ZAY you are so right, it would be butt-ugly and it wouldn't be right unless they were some new kind of fancy new radial performance snow tire..I am in the same boat, I worry if we get a snow dump whe I am at work and I can't drive my baby home, or worse yet I hit some blasted black ice and slam her into a high curb or worse yet an SUV
why are snow tires so ugly on sports cars? granted its not in the same league as the Z, but my bro has an integra GS-R. He runs snow tires in the winter... i didn't think it looked butt-ugly....
Old 05-16-2002, 05:25 AM
ndriver

350zDeity
somebody mentioned in an earlier post that the width of the wheels need to be reduced and the height of the side wall increased, I'll probably go for a 16" or a 17".
I already drive a RWD 95 240sx, I drive it to all the snow resorts every weekend during winter and I've not crashed my car .. yet I believe driving in snow is all about controlling the power of the car...

<a href="https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45&perpage=20&highlight=snow&page number=1">Earlier Post</a>
Old 05-16-2002, 07:12 AM
rouxeny

I don't think snow tires wil be as ugly as a big dent in the fender from hitting a snowbank.

I'm not sure where I'm going to store four 18 inch tires and wheels in my little apartment....
Old 05-16-2002, 10:06 PM
rouxeny

It'd be a big table.

Wheel diameter 18 inches x 2 wheels = 36
Then, add the depth of the tire, about 4 inches (guess) x 4 = 16

equals 52 inches.

Maybe they'll fit under the bed.

A friend of mine once had a M3 wheel as a stool to sit on.

Going to go see Attack of the Clones (AOTC) tonight!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:29 PM
dvlad

winter tires are the only way to go. I'm not planning on drving my car to much in the winter. I'm just going to use my GS4 for day-to-day. Maybe i'll take a spin around the city with snow on the ground just to see how it handles. But more than likely it won't happen.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:34 AM
NJZ

After driving my friend's 93 300zx TT in the rain the other day I don't really think it would be that much of a problem. He told me as long as you don't give it too much gas while turning you won't spin out at all. I fishtailed a little bit doing a really sharp turn but other than that I didn't have any problems at all.