Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I think im getting my 3rd new transmission!!! ahhh!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Slexis200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think im getting my 3rd new transmission!!! ahhh!

Well, my car, like most of your cars came with a transmission, and that was my first one. The car drove hard, and at about 3,500 it started grinding, brought it to a bunch of places and eventually got a new tranny and clovis.
Now my car is doing the same, ihave an appointment for tuesday, im sure its the same problem, so i guess il be getting another one??? What do you guys think i should do?

-Josh
Old 04-03-2003, 04:30 PM
deviousZ
Banned

um..... I am sorry to hear that!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:51 PM
jrreed350togo

3 strikes you're out..."Lemon" I'd take it in and ask for a new one. Never hurts to ask. For real though...I think you have a good case.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Ricky
Banned

Can you give us some more information on the grinding sound?
What gears does it occur in? What speeds? Continious while driving, or while shifting? Car shake at all? When did you take delivery? Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 05:58 PM
3rdpower

Yes... I'll be heading in for number two soon myself

Problem is they're rebuilding the trannies now and not giving new ones out hehe... basically - cut costs and expose themselves

BTW - mines was replaced because 3rd-4th gear grind. Now 1st gear takes an act of God to get into line if you are not stopped completely. Also - with clutch in and tranny in 1st gear you can hear the dang car whining. It's irritating and it sounds like it's hard on the tranny...

It's now notchy between 1st and 2nd on cold starts...
Old 04-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Slexis200

aright, sorry for no details in the first post, i thought no one would read it. I took delivery in september, ive got vin #286, so i had it right away basiclly. Since the day i bought the car, it was hard to shift. An actual grinding started at about 3,500 miles. When i would shift into thrd it was a terrible grinding sound, like forcing the shifter into gear with out using the clutch. Im assuming thats what it would sound like. I cant imagine making the car grind like this, even by accident?? Well anyway, whether the car was cold or warm, same thing. ??Shifting fast, or accelerating fast sometimes made it worse. Even with my foot on the clutch and playing with the gears going 0mph, the car would grind in 3rd, and then 4th started sometime. And it has happened in 5th.
They replaced the tranny, and the car drove better than new. Litterally much better than new. But now about 2 months later and another 3,000 or so miles on it, the same problem has started to occur, only 3rd gear so far. Can happen at any RPM. Im really pissed about this, but since i just got a new laptop, and got wireless net, ive been occupied , so im sure im gonna need another one.

The part i skipped............. Before getting my first tranny fixed, i had gone to 4, yes 4 different dealers trying to mae them admit something was wrong with the car. This was before the grind, but still the clutch was terrible. I was on the phone with NNA forever. It was a waste of time, they didnt help a bit. They were nice on the phone, but they had no real power. It was basiclly a waste of hours on the phone. This is only the second tie going in for this problem, so i dont think lemmon law applies yet.

I have an appointment for this tuesday, ill let you all know what happens.

For those whom the window fix applied to, im gonna try to get that fixed too, using the info people poster here on this sight, you guys really help out alot!

And if you wanna know what the grinding sounds like because your not sure if you have the same symtoms??? Dont worry, its bad enough that you would know, you dont need anyone to explain it. Its a bad sound.

Does anyone think this grinding will be affecting my Z in any other way? What other parts is it affecting? Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Slexis200

a yes, and the car does not shake. It can happen at any speed. And like i said the grind is really bad.......... Like metal hitting metal REALLY HARD, REALLY FAST!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:29 PM
LocoStrange

Wow!! LOL!! U guys are crazy... Dont u have to pay for it tho.. or is it somehow under warrently
Old 04-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Slexis200

pay for it? you crazy? its a brand new car that doesnt work! Not a penny. Im paying enough in my time and effort getting it fixed.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:46 PM
zogan

I am waiting for the tranny to get in, its on back order, the same thing happened to my car. I like the Z a lot, but having to change more then one tranny is BS

Originally posted by Ricky
Can you give us some more information on the grinding sound?
if you want to know what it sounds like, just shift w/ out the clutch.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:47 PM
LocoStrange

Originally posted by Slexis200
pay for it? you crazy? its a brand new car that doesnt work! Not a penny. Im paying enough in my time and effort getting it fixed.
Not to sound rude but ur not working it "overtime"?
Old 04-03-2003, 09:40 PM
themyst

Poor Josh I think i'll wait on getting my tranny replaced till they come out with a new part number (NNA would be stupid to ignore a relatively common problem with low vin#'s.) I have the same problem, and I feel your pain... shift a wee bit hard and it'll grind... ugh. Sucks having to baby your shifter into 3rd gear just to avoid the grind.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:55 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had slight "clunking" when going into second when cold and at low RPM, but when warm or when cold and high RPM it shifts fine. I noticed it even more when I had my tranny fluid swapped (after a couple track days). I'll probably get some synthetic fluid to help out. Hopefully this isn't a sign of future problems. I've found that double clutching really helps, which leads me to belive that my synchro's aren't fully engaging in second, so I was wondering if you guys have had better luck if you double clutch?

I've got 13,000 miles now though, so hopefully everything's going to stay OK.

Good luck with your transmissions. Just remember, there ARE good ones out there, so just keep bugging Nissan until you get one of them.

-D'oh!
Old 04-04-2003, 12:54 AM
BENCH

Originally posted by D'oh
I've had slight "clunking" when going into second when cold and at low RPM, but when warm or when cold and high RPM it shifts fine. I noticed it even more when I had my tranny fluid swapped (after a couple track days). I'll probably get some synthetic fluid to help out. Hopefully this isn't a sign of future problems. I've found that double clutching really helps, which leads me to belive that my synchro's aren't fully engaging in second, so I was wondering if you guys have had better luck if you double clutch?

I have that 2nd gear clunking too. If i step on the clutch all the way down to the floor its almost gone. I had a friend drive the car and noticed him clunking it on 2nd gear too.

I'm thinking of selling my car before it reaches 13k miles. I might just get a sedan again like the new Mitsu EVO.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:02 AM
BigBadBuford

My car is a little clunky into 2nd gear and I have missed a few shifts because of it, but I think that is just the way Nissan trannies are. When I shift into 2nd it feels like clunk-clunk like it has to engage twice. It doesn't grind though, but it is worse when it is cold. At high rpm it feels a lot better, but when I try to shift fast sometimes it will feel like it is in gear and I will let off the clutch and it will grind real bad. I don't know if this is a real problem or if it is just the way Nissan trannies feel (the 2nd gear thing, not the grind in 3rd). I had a '95 240SX (also a very early first year car) and it felt EXACTLY the same way going into 2nd. I would have the same problems shifting fast into 2nd on that car too. I've driven plenty of other manual cars, most of them with lousy shifters and old transmissions and I almost never grind gears.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:07 AM
j's350z

Default ME TOO

I went to the dealer yesterday and guess what????/ Trans # 3 is going in my car too. Thy replaced it in December with 4000 miles and its time for another one now at 15,000 miles... There changing the trans like it is an iol change..... I am going to speak with the technical engineering manager who flew in to look at my car originally and insist on a free extended warranty..... For thos that want to know, my VIN # is 2406 and its my 3rd gear syncros that are shot..................................................... Maybe they'll give me a Murano loaner while its getting fixed... Better not give me a Sentra....
Old 04-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Slexis200

The myst....... i already PM'ed you, but you should come with me. Anyway, trsut me when you hear this grind, you know somthing is wrong. And its a real pain in the but to get up real early in the mornin, wait on line leave your car for a week and a half, all for a brand new car.
Anyway i just want it fixed. I wonder what the real cause to this problem is? After they fixed mine it drove sooo well! Not just the grind went away, the whole clutch felt so much better, though they said they made no adjustments. Im sure ill be getting a new tranny, and ill let you all know more info after tuesday.
Lemmon law after one more....... but ive spent to much on this one to trade her in.
All the stuff below:

Also if i could trade in and get a new color?? hmmmm i think id get red!
Old 04-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Slexis200

should i mention the water collecting under the doors? i doubt theres anything they can do about that, or under the hatch.
And also, besides the grease line, the windows stay wet for days after it has rained....... I mean if i put them down then up? does everyone have that problem?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Slexis200

Yup its official, im getting the second one, they just ordered it today........ Well see how long that takes. The service guy told me, between me and him i shouldnt drive the car so hard, but i told him, between me and him I DON'T. And even if i did, this shouldnt happen
Old 04-10-2003, 02:22 PM
poweraddict

Get the Skyline Motor and Tranny

JK, wish you luck, quit beating up your car (ok im a hypocrite)

Quick Reply: I think im getting my 3rd new transmission!!! ahhh!