Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
azula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, the z is the best sports car for the money, hands down.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
TheGest

find me an 07 350z ppw 6spd with side air bag
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i test drove the 07 mustang gt with all the bells and whistles and I ended up getting 06 base 350z...no comparison.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
tomiegunzz

Originally Posted by gothchick
I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the STi, or the EVO...

G's are sleds. Almost as fast as a Z in a straight line, but spongy & loose in the corners. Don't even try tracking a G or canyon carving without suspension mods.
Yes, well basically if you want a similar car but only with a back seat and better interior then get the G.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Cabinetman

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Today I test drove an Rx8 and was impressed. The car didn't feel as slow as I had expected and the steering and brake feel was very good. I also prefered the interior to the Z. However, the sales guy kind of turned me off when he commented that the mazdaspeed3 would out run the RX8.

I may go drive the GTO soon. My local dealer has a black six speed that looks pretty nice. My only concern with the GTO is lack of resale value. If dealers cant sell them new with heavy discounts how am I supposed to resale it in two years.

The only thing keeping me from buying a Z right now is my fear that the interior will be rattling like crazy after a few months. Compared to the S2000 the Z's interior plastics look cheap and fragile. I was hoping that by the '07 model this would have been addressed.

Kevin
Old 03-28-2007, 05:38 PM
TurboTrey

My '03 Z has a few rattles here and there. They aren't constant rattles but they are more like rattles when you hit a bump or something. Anyone else notice the passenger seat belt rattles like crazy if you don't clip it in?

If you want a car that people constantly turn their head to then get the Z. I really like the GTO but I think Pontiac is done making them. They were only around for 3 or 4 years.

I think for $30k the best sports car is a used Vette. You should be able to find one with low miles and just a few years old for that much. You could probably find a Z06 for that too that is in really good shape.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

imo the 350z interior doesnt look as cheap as the mustangs...you could always get a g35 coupe... :-)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
1nate7

Originally Posted by TurboTrey
I think for $30k the best sports car is a used Vette. You should be able to find one with low miles and just a few years old for that much. You could probably find a Z06 for that too that is in really good shape.
+1, you can easily find C5 Z06's for around and even under 30k. I wouldn't limit myself to new cars, especially since this will be a fun/weekend car.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Cabinetman

Originally Posted by 1nate7
+1, you can easily find C5 Z06's for around and even under 30k. I wouldn't limit myself to new cars, especially since this will be a fun/weekend car.
My concern with a used C5 is the risk of getting a ragged out car. My 2007 Chevy Avalanche with just 4000 miles has already had a new rearend installed and it has a few rattles showing up. I can only imagine what a C5 Z06 with 40k miles will be like.

The car I buy this year is to get me through until next year when I will assume full control of the family business. At that time I will be able to increase my budget to include cars like the C6 Zo6 and 911 CarreraS. If I can get to 2009 without the Z falling apart and get a lot of fun out of driving the car I will be happy. It would also be nice if the Z would hold its value better than average, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kevin
Old 03-29-2007, 04:53 AM
deprived...Not

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I have finally reached the point in my life that i can have a sports car without using it as my daily driver. The only downside is that my budget will only allow me to spend around $30k so the Cayman S and Audi RS4 are out. I haven't owned a sports car since college so to keep things from getting too overwhelming I plan to stick with new cars.

In my price range I can get the 350z Enthusiast, RX-8, Honda S2k and Mustang GT. I pretty much ruled out the S2k because my dad had a '06 that I got to drive a bit and I really didn't like the lack of low end punch from the motor. Also, i don't care for convertibles. I test drove the Z yesterday and was impressed with the punch, however I didn't really get enough wheel time to get a good overall impression of the car.

On paper the Z seems like the best car, but I was wondering what pushed you to buy the Z over other options out there. Also, how does the Z hold up over the long haul? I get really bothered by interior rattles and seat fabric that wears too quickly. Finally, after a few months of ownership does the Z still smile at you? I have a hard time keeping a car for more than a year (I turn 32 in April and have had 22 cars not including my wife's rides) so I am trying to make sure I buy something that will still be fresh in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Kevin
I'm quite a bit older than you and have owned a new 2006 Z for about a month. This is the only car that I've had that I still like after about two weeks. I've had two Mercedes, two Audis, a Range Rover, an Alfa, a Land Cruiser, and all of them were just a hunk of metal and no fun to drive. If you don't keep cars very long then it doesn't matter what you get. I have kept several cars more than a decade and 200k miles. I have a truck that is 20years old. I live in a VERY affluent area. When I park at the grocery store or movies there is usually one of everything. There are so many Porches and Corvettes I don't even gawk at them anymore. The high schoolers all have tricked out mustangs or better. In my opinion, the Z looks almost as good as some of the Ferraris I see. Anyway, this is rambling. Powerwise the Z is lacking a lot, but adequate power will cost a lot more money. Handling is very good. My biggest gripe is dealing with the dealer. But, if you've owned lots of cars that shouldn't bother you that much.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:13 AM
Cabinetman

Originally Posted by deprived...Not
Powerwise the Z is lacking a lot, but adequate power will cost a lot more money. Handling is very good. My biggest gripe is dealing with the dealer. But, if you've owned lots of cars that shouldn't bother you that much.
I'm surprised to see you say that the Z lacks power. I thought the performance was one of the Z's strong suits. I've never owned a car that would run the 1/4 mile in the 13s so to me the Z is pretty quick.

Kevin
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 AM
deprived...Not

The Z does have ok power. In fact, in the $30k price range, it has more than adequate power. If you are willing to rev it to 5000 or beyond it will make your eyes water. It's just all relative. Mine is supposed to have 300hp, which is a lot of fun if you're just cruising around town. If you might want to do some informal racing, there are lots of sports cars with more hp, but they're more money, and they don't look near as cool. As far as quality, it's too early for me to tell. There is another post regarding 'how many miles do you have on your Z.' Most of the people are very low mileage, 50k, 60k. I'm a little concerned about how many posts there are about replacing clutches, engines, and other. In my book a car hasn't proven itself unless it can get near 200k. But any Japanese car should do that easily. My wife's Lexus just turned 200k, with no issues whatsoever. Last night I parked near a new Porshe that was probably $80k+. In my opinion, my Z looked better.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO is a muscle car doesnt handle like the Z. The Z is a well balanced sports car.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 AM
JonsilvZ

The Z does have ok power. In fact, in the $30k price range, it has more than adequate power. If you are willing to rev it to 5000 or beyond it will make your eyes water. It's just all relative. Mine is supposed to have 300hp, which is a lot of fun if you're just cruising around town. If you might want to do some informal racing, there are lots of sports cars with more hp, but they're more money, and they don't look near as cool. As far as quality, it's too early for me to tell. There is another post regarding 'how many miles do you have on your Z.' Most of the people are very low mileage, 50k, 60k. I'm a little concerned about how many posts there are about replacing clutches, engines, and other. In my book a car hasn't proven itself unless it can get near 200k. But any Japanese car should do that easily. My wife's Lexus just turned 200k, with no issues whatsoever. Last night I parked near a new Porshe that was probably $80k+. In my opinion, my Z looked better.

My Z is holding up pretty well so far. Owned it since Nov 2002 with 34,450 beat up miles. Also I work in a wealthy area and someone told me your Z looks better than that Porshe
Old 03-29-2007, 08:31 AM
gothchick

In my book a car hasn't proven itself unless it can get near 200k. But any Japanese car should do that easily. My wife's Lexus just turned 200k, with no issues whatsoever.
I've heard that the 6MT Z's go through clutches @ every 50k miles, and brakes @ every 40k miles. I'm on my second Z now with 17xx miles. No problems so far (knock on wood). My first Z was an '04 Touring I bought new. It had 29k miles on it when I sold it. No problems, squeaks, rattles, etc with that one either... Except the hatch wouldn't stay open on colder days.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 AM
S8ER95Z

For 30K and the definition of "Sports Car"... nope there is nothing that really compares.

You can't compare mustangs/gtos, etc to the 350Z honestly. Completely different cars with backseats and different target audience. Honestly if you are looking at a two door sports car you shouldn't even be considering a mustang or GTO as an option.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Ztalker

the Z is fun to drive/good looking, above average reliability, easy to work on for DIY projects(very very low maintenance). Yes... one tiny annoying rattle near the passenger side dash(comes and goes depends on road condition, time of day and air temperature). But it has yet to make that noise all morning today.
Well... jack of all trade/master of nothing 30k$ sports car...what else do you expect?

Last edited by Ztalker; 03-30-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
O3Z

the mustang feels like a tank to me when i drive it. it needs major suspension upgrades to feel stiff and to loose the excesive body roll. also i dont like having the seat adjusted to the max height and still no being able to see where the front of the car ends. the rx8 is truely a good daily driver but it is more than likely going to be a matinience nightmare. the s2k is great sportscar period. but the z is the cream of the crop in my opinion. it has looks, power, handling, reliability. u can really go in any direction with a z that u could possibly think of...

can someone post the road and track report of all the sports car in the z catagory? that pretty much shows u all the differences those cars have and how it equates to real world performance. of course im only mentioning this b/c the Z comes out on top of the rx8, mustang, and s2k......
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by azula
yes, the z is the best sports car for the money, hands down.
That pretty much sums it up for me as well.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
deprived...Not

These guys ain't lying. For the money, there's no other choice. If you can double the money, then a Corvette might be nice. There's more hp, but some of us think the Z looks better. Plus in my town who doesn't have a 'vette. I parked near a Z the other night with a license plate that said NAVETTE. I assume that means 'Not a Vette.' The German cars I've driven are well made, but all four of mine seemed to love the shop. I definitely think the Z looks better than a Porsche. This sports car thing is new to me, see I've been depriving myself, get it? I wonder how Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. are on clutches, oil consumption?

Quick Reply: Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?