Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

anybody drive 350z on wintertime?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003 | 10:12 AM
su2ny

Default anybody drive 350z on wintertime?

hi..im thinking to get 350z...
just wonder how's 350z on wintertime..
if i put snow tire on it.. it's gonna be ok to drive everyday?!?
i think 350z got traction controler...so it could help ???
rite?
let me get some idea help me out. plz...
thanx...
Old 04-18-2003 | 11:21 AM
chaz

Default Winter tires

and what about winter wheels and the Tire presure monitor? does it go haywire without the stock wheels? is the monitor portable from wheel to wheel?
Old 04-18-2003 | 11:31 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

the monitor is movable, depending on your new rim, chances are you will need new rims for the winter tires, but maybe not.

the word is that the car is HORRID on stock tires, but quite good on winter tires. you can leave the TPM off in the winter tho, the computer wont go crazy.
Old 04-18-2003 | 12:22 PM
nblancha
Charter Member #80

I used the cheapest set of 17" wheels along with some blizzaks during this past winter. I must say the Z was the best handling car I've ever driven in the snow, never having used winter specific tires before. I'd stop quickly, traction was awsome (traction control kicks ***), turning was never a concern.

A good set of winter tires are a must with this car though.
Old 07-06-2003 | 09:37 AM
elmer

A salesperson told me that if I didn't buy 4 factory rims from Nissan for winter tires, that the traction control and tire pressure monitors would cease to work. Furthermore, this salesperson told me that putting on non-factory rims would mean that they would have to modify the traction control and tire pressure circuitry such that it would not work again when the factory rims were re-installed.

I felt like telling the salesperson to eat one, but not knowing all the details, I bit my tongue.

Is any of this true?

The best part is this: their winter wheel/tire package consisting of 4 factory rims, and 4 good winter tires (can't remember the make/model), ends up @ $10,000 Cdn. Again, I bit my tongue.

Any insight from any winter 350z drivers with the tire pressure monitor and/or traction control is appreciated.

Thanks,
Elmer.
Old 07-06-2003 | 11:18 AM
SharpST77

nice..i thought if i purchased a Z..i would need a winter beater in boston..but it seems like the Z isnt that bad with snow tires...eh..i guess ill drive it to the T station and take the T out.
Old 07-06-2003 | 01:20 PM
tbcz

The Z is fine in winter driving with snow tires. These are mandatory for driving in snow of any depth.

I don't know about the pressure sensors, but I'm pretty positive the traction control will not be affected if you replace the wheels and/or tires with the correct OE sizes.
Old 07-06-2003 | 02:43 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

you need to keep overall tire diameters in the same sizes. but you can do this very easily, and if your a little off, it wont end the world. all the traction control is really concerned with is the difference in diameter between front and back, gotta keep that the same.

as for pressure, I personally would say to just leave them out. specially if you get a different set of rims for winter, that way your summer tires just stay as they are, if you mount and dismount twice a year, your rims are gonna end up scratched.

as for recalibration, I hear thats needed if you switch rims, but I didnt, and mine work fine as far as I know. it give me readings...