Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z - Evo MR - STi

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350z - Evo MR - STi

My friend is looking to buy a new car but he has a dilema he is not sure what car to get either a 07 350z enthusiast, 06 Mitsubishi evo MR, or 07 subaru STi any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
koreanwith350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess it depends on what his looking for...2 seater or 4 seater?
Strong 6 cylinder or four-banger w/turbo?
oh..as for looks....we ALL know who wins that...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:33 PM
blueper4mancez

i would choose either the EVO or the Z.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want guys to love your car or do you want the ladies to love you?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
jsupetran

Tough decision indeed... Has he test drove any of the cars? I am beginning to fall for the Evo right now since I saw a few hot ones this weekend... I've read that the Evo and Sti in the top 10 highest insurance cars so perhaps that can effect the decision.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Devil Z

The Z has more potential than any of those two Econoboxes.

Not to mention faster, looks better, and is RWD.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
FairladyZ06

No matter what, the Z looks amazing compared to the others. Its clean, sleek, and a great car overall. The Evo's are fast as hell, lots of upgrades for them but they are still a 4 cylinder and 4 doors. I think nothing is sexier than a TT Z in that sports car tuner class. I say go with the new HR Z, and be patient til all the wonderful aftermarket parts arrive, including the TT kits.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:05 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Z

Faster, huh? Proof?

RWD? No ****, but what's your problem with AWD? How is that a benefit?

Tell your "friend" (which we all know is you) to go test drive the three cars instead of asking a biased-*** group of people their opinions on these cars (which this subject has been beaten to fucking death). Know what you want out of a car, and roll with that. You won't be able to buy a car and like it based on opinions you're gonna get from my350z.com, evolutionm.net or nasioc (to name a few).
Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your friend can pick his own car.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
SenSpeed

Originally Posted by 350Zimo
My friend is looking to buy a new car but he has a dilema he is not sure what car to get either a 07 350z enthusiast, 06 Mitsubishi evo MR, or 07 subaru STi any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
insurance is VERY high on the evo
Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jsupetran
Tough decision indeed... Has he test drove any of the cars? I am beginning to fall for the Evo right now since I saw a few hot ones this weekend... I've read that the Evo and Sti in the top 10 highest insurance cars so perhaps that can effect the decision.
I have driven all three and still prefer the Z.

The Sti pulls strong and the turbo lag isn't too bad, but the do-it-all suspension allows a little too much body roll for my tastes and makes the car feel less nimble than the Z(although I watched my brother and his Sti play in the dirt near a construction site and could only watch with my Z parked near the street.) AWD does let you get on the throttle quicker out of turns and, if you don't mind beating up the car, 5k drop clutch launches will blow your mind with AWD too.

While I have driven the Sti and the Z on the track, My experience with the Evo is limited to one spirited test drive. The handling on the Evo is actually a little better than my Z. (IMO) It felt lighter (even though I think it weighs a couple hundred pounds more) than the Z and turned now, but the turbo lag is horrible I tried launching it like my Z (2.5-3.5k quick-slip clutch), expecting it to behave like my brother's Sti and was very dissapointed. It left the light like a minivan. I held down the throttle for a bit and the power came on hard toward the top of the tach, and when it did, it pulled very hard, maybe even harder than the Z. I'm sure one could just launch higher in the tach and learn to keep the car on "boil." I have seen many Evo's turn great times at the autocross track, but the on/off nature of the power delivery would be an obstacle to overcome.

The Z's power delivery is more of an ally when driving hard, and the handling is quick, flat, and (dare I use the word for a 3200lb car) nimble.
Just my .02

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 04-23-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Equinox

As an previous Evo IX MR owner, I think I can speak from experience here. DEFINITELY have your friend test all three cars. Make sure he drives them around some curves too and not just a couple of quick blasts up/down the street in a straight line.

The comment about evos being econoboxes is simply bull****. My Evo did not make a single rattle/squeak no matter what kind of surface I was driving over. Search on this board and see how many complaints there are about rattles/squeaks for the Z.

With regards to the insurance comment, I can tell you that my insurance increased going from an '06 evo to an '07 Z. Clean driving record, 29 years old. With insurance though, there could be a lot of factors (including the fact that Z was '07 versus '06 Evo) but I would not go so far as to say it is "very high" on the evo.

All that said though, I love the Z. I grin ear to ear every time I get to drive around any type of curvy road or track. I simply cannot say it was the same case when driving the Evo.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Fluid1

Holy crap dude you're such a trailblazer!!! You're the first person to EVER post a thread like this on this forum. Or on Evom or the STi forum, for that matter. Go you!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Mid117

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
You know, I'm trying not to be a dick, but that excuse is getting old. If you need a car to get a girl, you suck at life.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Devil Z

Dude.....pass THAT
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Mid117
You know, I'm trying not to be a dick, but that excuse is getting old. If you need a car to get a girl, you suck at life.

This is true.

At the same time, everyone could just keep repeating the phrase "The Z is better looking than the STi or the EVO"
Same thing being said.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
tranceformer95

Just tell your friend to test drive them all, and of course see if he can afford all the choices. Then play it by ear from there.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I have driven all three and still prefer the Z.

The Sti pulls strong and the turbo lag isn't too bad, but the do-it-all suspension allows a little too much body roll for my tastes and makes the car feel less nimble than the Z(although I watched my brother and his Sti play in the dirt near a construction site and could only watch with my Z parked near the street.) AWD does let you get on the throttle quicker out of turns and, if you don't mind beating up the car, 5k drop clutch launches will blow your mind with AWD too.

While I have driven the Sti and the Z on the track, My experience with the Evo is limited to one spirited test drive. The handling on the Evo is actually a little better than my Z. (IMO) It felt lighter (even though I think it weighs a couple hundred pounds more) than the Z and turned now, but the turbo lag is horrible I tried launching it like my Z (2.5-3.5k quick-slip clutch), expecting it to behave like my brother's Sti and was very dissapointed. It left the light like a minivan. I held down the throttle for a bit and the power came on hard toward the top of the tach, and when it did, it pulled very hard, maybe even harder than the Z. I'm sure one could just launch higher in the tach and learn to keep the car on "boil." I have seen many Evo's turn great times at the autocross track, but the on/off nature of the power delivery would be an obstacle to overcome.

The Z's power delivery is more of an ally when driving hard, and the handling is quick, flat, and (dare I use the word for a 3200lb car) nimble.
Just my .02
This right here is the type of things people should be saying when comparing cars. Not that the Z picks up the ladies. Actual experience with the cars.

My opinion does differ, but for the most part, it's just that, my opinion. The stock turbo isn't laggy at all (I hit full boost ~3700rpms, datalog proven). It is very on/off power (nature of the stock turbo and stock-like turbos - instant spool). The Evo weighs in around 100lbs more than most Z's (coupes). When I launch my Evo around 3500rpms, the ***** gets sideways from the onslaught of torque. But like he just said, the nature of the Evo's power delivery takes a little getting used to.

Quick Reply: 350z - Evo MR - STi