Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sad Realization

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:45 AM
MA4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wasn't talking to you sweetheart (nissan350z) i was talking to the people who are afraid of getting into a car loan... I agree with you 100%. Why wait until you are 30 to enjoy a nice car when while you are 30 it won't matter what you drive. My salary will have doubled within the next two years from my starting salary last year of 40k...more money will always be coming along.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:45 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by fanatic6711
I don't understand how you guys that just graduated make so much money.
I was offered a couple of jobs where starting pay was 65-70K. I turned them down because they weren't in the location I wanted to be in--and I was planning on going to law school. I've since changed my mind, and now I'm making a little less than I was offered straight out of school.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:48 AM
jj1814

I don't understand how you guys that just graduated make so much money.

I just graduated last May from a top school, work for a Top company (Turner Broadcasting) and minimum as an analyst!

Everyone else here went to an Ivy league school and doesn't make crap either!

I don't get it.

But I don't have debt, so the Z comes in July!
I'm glad I didnt go to a top school to suffer through all that hard work and headache. I spent 3 years @ Grambling State University and then 1.5 years at University of Tennessee at Martin, where i graduated. I am a systems analyst (database management) @ the company and the raises here are outrageous! (in a good way of course). Our stock hasnt gone below $80 in this recession, so that may help.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:50 AM
MA4

I am an engineer, been out of school a year and a half...started at 40-45k ish, am making 54-57k this year, will be making 65k next year and 80k+ the year after....

Just because you got your communications degree from an ivy league school doesn't mean you don't have a communications degree....or whatever your degree is...it depends on what the company is doing.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:00 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
I was offered a couple of jobs where starting pay was 65-70K. I turned them down because they weren't in the location I wanted to be in--and I was planning on going to law school.
Sheesh! I woulda been like #%&! law school! LoL jk...no really
I dont/didnt want to be in Cincinnati, but *shrug* ah well.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:00 AM
mark_wilkins

(The problem is that you work in broadcasting! Engineering is the place to be )

-- Mark
Old 04-21-2003, 10:03 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by nissan350z
Sheesh! I woulda been like #%&! law school! LoL jk...no really
I dont/didnt want to be in Cincinnati, but *shrug* ah well.
LOL. The other part of the reason for not moving was I was doing the long distance thing with my (now) hubby. We were both tired as hell of it, and after three years, can you really blame us? It's all good, though. Turns out, I'm kinda on the fast track at my new job--they're prepping me for the CEO position in 10 years.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:07 AM
fanatic6711

You would think working as a Media Analyst in Advertising Sales in NYC for Turner Broadcasting Company (working in Sports division) would make good money, but it doesn't.

I did a number of internships too, so a bad resume doesn't factor in. Actually, I've been told for my age that I have one of the best resumes out in my industry.

I think you have to have a specialized degree, such as an engineer or IT, to make good money these days.

I don't get how the economy is so bad and yet some kids out of school can get paid so much. Supply and demand I guess.

BTW: Got my B.S. from Duquesne University, Marketing Major, Business Degree. The g/f's brother is/was a engineer (graduated from Villanova) making dough and just got laid off one day; to date, he's been unemployed for 8 months.

Last edited by fanatic6711; 04-21-2003 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:42 AM
jj1814

oh ok. I understand all too well about the long-distance relationship thingy. I've done a few of them. hmmm..I wonder why I never like anyone that's actually around me. Ive done TOO MANY long-distance relationships.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:44 AM
jj1814

I think you have to have a specialized degree, such as an engineer or IT, to make good money these days.

Yeah... IT rules!!! (Computer Science major)
Old 04-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Them Bones

Default Do what I did!

I don't think I heard anyone say marry a woman with a good job! You could effectively double your income without doubling your bills! A good woman will be understanding of your hobby/obsession.

-TB
Old 04-21-2003, 10:54 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You field is what makes the difference in your salary! Hell, I still have to finish my degree, but I make just as much as I would if I had it. The only reason I need it is for future advancement, I have enough experience that if I just wanted to program my whole life I could be finished with school.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:56 AM
MA4

a villanova engineering grad without a job for 8 months? he must not be in Philly anymore cause i get 3 calls a day from recruiters...what kind of engineering? industrial?mechanical?computer?

i wouldn't say marry a woman with a good jub, but it definetly doesn't hurt to buy a house with one....
Old 04-21-2003, 11:04 AM
fanatic6711

Dude, don't do what people here say.... do what you want to.

I'm actually in the same place you are and was faced with a similar situation about moving down to ATL for a job and leaving her.

I'm a much happier person here than I would be in ATL.

Girl before the car is what I say..... plus with the money you guys seem to make you'll have a Z soon anyway!

I just have to wait to make my money!
Old 04-21-2003, 11:05 AM
fanatic6711

explortainment,

he is a mechanical engineer. I think he worked in York, PA for a company called Red Lion. Yea, nothing....PM me with some recruiters if you've got the hook up!

Thanks,
Old 04-21-2003, 05:12 PM
WayneTN

Default Re: Re: i don't get it

Originally posted by nissan350z
I dont want to be a tight wad now, save all my money and then create a car note later. That will just make me miss the extra $500 I WAS putting in the bank. I dont like to adjust to lesser money. I like to just get it all out of the way now.
That just doesn't make sense to me. First, you will have the same amount of money each month. In fact, if you were to put that car payment into the bank now and then pay cash for the car later, you would have more money, not less, because you would still have your own interest in the bank instead of paying it out to the finance company each month - like you apparently plan to do. Plus, that money in the bank would continue to grow. You wouldn't "miss" money later; you would have an extra $500 / month to continue to grow in the bank. You'd be very rich later on!!! You do the math.

My 0.02; your $500. Go figure.
WayneTN
Old 04-21-2003, 05:24 PM
jj1814

Default Re: Re: Re: i don't get it

Originally posted by WayneTN
That just doesn't make sense to me. First, you will have the same amount of money each month. In fact, if you were to put that car payment into the bank now and then pay cash for the car later, you would have more money, not less, because you would still have your own interest in the bank instead of paying it out to the finance company each month - like you apparently plan to do. Plus, that money in the bank would continue to grow. You wouldn't "miss" money later; you would have an extra $500 / month to continue to grow in the bank. You'd be very rich later on!!! You do the math.

My 0.02; your $500. Go figure.
WayneTN
With $10,000 raises every year, I'll have a lot more money to put in da bank

Thanks for your perspective though, and I know what you mean. I just tend to think a lot differently than most
Old 04-21-2003, 06:38 PM
nodeel

Default Re: i don't get it

Originally posted by explortainment
10k in loans? thats it? i have 20k on credit cards(5.9% avg interest rate) half of a 130k mortgage, 65k in student loans and i only make 55k a year....my z is parked in a 150$ a month parking garage and i pay 2300$ a year insurance...and i still ahve beer money and food money and money to do anything i damn please....and always pay my bils on time....what are you guys buying that you can't afford a 30k car?

55k a year is like 3500$ a month....either you guys are lieing about what you make or you have a coke addiction..i say stop being a wuss and buy the friggin car. pretend you are buying a 22k car with 8k worth of mods to make it look and drive nice.
More like $2600 a month after 401k, taxes, medical, etc.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 PM
nodeel

A little background about myself that makes this decision more "rational"

I am 22, i just graduated from university of Illionis (www.uiuc.edu) with a degree in Management Information Systems.

I was recruited by the company I interned for...but to a different branch. I interned at GE Appliances in Louisville Kentucky, but now work for GE Medical Systems in Milwaukee WI.

Originally from Chicago, my girifriend of 4 years is still there. She is practically my high school sweetheard, although we never really dated in high school - i was too busy "living" life by traveling to Europe, but always coming back to Chicago. We knew each other till we went to college - she went to Northwestern and now works for Allstate as an Actuary. When we do get married, our incomes together should cross $100,000 but we'll have married bills to pay.

I'm hoping in 2 years, I'll be ready to sell the Honda Accord couple I just bought today and get the Z, but we shall see.

Heres the picture of the car I JUST bought (2 hours ago) - $16,900 for a 2.4 LX w/5 Spd.

Old 04-21-2003, 07:02 PM
2003z

THe accord coupe is a sweet car. I wish I could have talked my wife into one of those instead of the G35c, especially for the price

Quick Reply: Sad Realization