Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NISMO news from SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:31 AM
vance45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any info on S-tune pricing from dealers yet? I plan on doing the install myself and was wondering how much of a savings would there be if I were to waite untill June/July.

Any chance that Courtesyparts.com would carry the S-tune?

Thanks,

Vance
Old 04-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by Mr350Z
Borla with 23whp. Intersting. Two things. Borla quality is so, so. I wonder if the 23whp is without cats...?...or with headers...? If it's purely a cat-back I will be VERY surprised.
I believe the Borla exhaust that can put down 23whp is a TRUE dual exhaust... It is a cat-back design...I have read that somewhere.. Maybe someone can confirm?
Old 04-28-2003, 06:47 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the intake, you guys know that Nissan's have MASS air flow meters...right? Honda's don't. Totally different systems. Hondas have a pre-programmed fuel and timing map, so regardless of your mods the ECU will not adjust to the mods. You will simply run leaner, one of the reasons everyone with Hondas has fuel pressure risers...to avoid running lean. Nissan's have MASS air flow sensors. If you make a mod like exhaust or cold air, the Mass Air Flow sensor sees the increase in airflow and adds fuel as needed. Yes it will keep the same air fuel ratios, but it will only retard the timing if it sees detonation. The net result will be a HP increase over stock.
Perhaps you would care to explain my dyno plot then with a K&N HIGH-FLOW filter vs. a FRAM PAPER filter...

Below are my runs 003 and 006. Roughly one month apart, same temps/humidity and ~1500 additional miles on the odo since the last time out at 8700 miles. Mods on Run 003 were a K&N and grounding kit. Run 006 was FRAM air element and a grounding kit. I ran-in 300+ miles on the paper element before going to the dyno.

003 yields 237.2 HP and 234.6 TRQ
006 yields 241.6 HP and 238.7 TRQ

For historical purposes, here is data from all six runs:

02/01/2003
001 yields 235.4 HP and 232.6 TRQ
002 yields 236.5 HP and 234.1 TRQ
003 yields 237.2 HP and 235.1 TRQ

03/08/2003
004 yields 241.2 HP and 235.1 TRQ
005 yields 239.4 HP and 236.9 TRQ
006 yields 241.6 HP and 238.7 TRQ

I ran richer with the K&N. WHERE'S MY HORSEPOWER?

Here's runs on a friend's Z on the same days, same dyno. Mods on 002 are K&N and grounding kit. Mods on 005 are INJEN intake with 300+ miles on it and a grounding kit. Again, WHERE IS THE HORSEPOWER?

002 yields 241.7 HP and 237.9 TRQ
005 yields 241.7 HP and 238.1 TRQ

I find it interesting that you'll quickly dispel silly rumors, yet you won't step up and address your STOCK FRONT SUSPENSION UNIT that's causing so many of your customers and dealerships tremendous amounts of grief.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Xeinth

Droid,

How do you know the airflow was really different?

X
Old 04-29-2003, 08:51 AM
Mr350Z

Easy on the attitude.

I understand your graphs, however, you want me to comment as to why a K&N and an Injen intake don't make power? I can't do that.

The only thing your dyno graph says is that the Fram flows better than the K&N, and the Injen doesn't make power.

One explannation could be that the Injen or K&N are slowing down air velocity therefore offsetting the increase in airflow, could be a bad design that creates turbulance....there are numerous reasons. Again I'm not going to speculate on another companies intake engineering or filter guaze.

This group or maybe just you, are going through the same learning process that many Honda guys went through in the mid-90's. Learning that indeed some intakes make power, some don't. Those that don't will get a bad reputation...yada...yada., and won't sell.

BTW, If I understand correctly, runs 003 & 006 were a month apart....and you are comparing 1-4 HP?? Scientifically you can't make any judgements based on dyno runs on different days when you get down to these miniscule HP levels. These 1-4 HP levels can easily be attributed to many outlying factors like Gas quality, additional break-in mileage, oil type....I could keep going. If you strapped on a Turbo, then fine, but when comparing small HP changes a month apart....doesn't make sense.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:24 AM
droideka

Easy on the attitude.

I understand your graphs, however, you want me to comment as to why a K&N and an Injen intake don't make power? I can't do that.

The only thing your dyno graph says is that the Fram flows better than the K&N, and the Injen doesn't make power.

One explannation could be that the Injen or K&N are slowing down air velocity therefore offsetting the increase in airflow, could be a bad design that creates turbulance....there are numerous reasons. Again I'm not going to speculate on another companies intake engineering or filter guaze.

This group or maybe just you, are going through the same learning process that many Honda guys went through in the mid-90's. Learning that indeed some intakes make power, some don't. Those that don't will get a bad reputation...yada...yada., and won't sell.

BTW, If I understand correctly, runs 003 & 006 were a month apart....and you are comparing 1-4 HP?? Scientifically you can't make any judgements based on dyno runs on different days when you get down to these miniscule HP levels. These 1-4 HP levels can easily be attributed to many outlying factors like Gas quality, additional break-in mileage, oil type....I could keep going. If you strapped on a Turbo, then fine, but when comparing small HP changes a month apart....doesn't make sense.
Excellent work of SKIPPING over my question based on your assertion that, wait, what was it?

"Nissan's have MASS air flow sensors. If you make a mod like exhaust or cold air, the Mass Air Flow sensor sees the increase in airflow and adds fuel as needed. Yes it will keep the same air fuel ratios, but it will only retard the timing if it sees detonation. The net result will be a HP increase over stock."

Why if I was running richer with the K&N was I not making more HP? I've got money to burn on the dyno. Would you like me to do a baseline with an OEM filter, put a CAI on while strapped to the dyno like these manufacturers do, show a 5-7 HP gain, run in the mod for 200+ miles, go right back to the dyno and show the gains magically disappearing?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Mr350Z

I didn't skip anything. I'm trying to be nice, you're making it very difficult. Why are you so agravated at me? I have nothing to do with Injen or K&N. Please be advised it's you're testing method that lacks logic, nothing else.

Again, you can't deduce anything from your graphs. You CAN'T compare 2-3 HP variances a month apart and contribute that difference to one specific variable (like a filter). There are too many variables to consider a month apart.

Before you worry so much about 3 HP on an airfilter, take a driving course at a reputable school...then maybe you might be able to realize the potential of your car with or without that 3 extra HP.

It's unfortunate that you decided to take this tone. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you so this will be the last time I communicate with you. Good luck with whatever you do.
Regards,
Old 04-29-2003, 03:51 PM
happypants

Mr350Z,

Can you shed some light on any changes to the current production suspension?

I've read good things about the Nismo S-Tune suspension and will most likely replace my stock suspension, only because the Nismo suspension corrects the porpoising problem with the 350Z on concrete roads. Where I live (Chicagoland area) 50-60% of the main roads are constructed this way and driving on these roads gets tiring. One morning, as I started my trip I was feeling great, but by the end of the drive I just wanted to get out of the car I was so annoyed by the ride.

I've already opened two cases with Nissan and will take the car in soon.

I'm not going to get confrontational, just looking for more info
Old 04-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Mr350Z,

Also, do you know if by changing the shocks and/or springs will solve the tire feathering problem?

I am looking at either:

Buy Nismo S-Tune or
Buy Eibach ProKit Springs or
Buy Tokico or Koni Shocks or (any recommendation?)

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:09 PM
droideka

I didn't skip anything. I'm trying to be nice, you're making it very difficult. Why are you so agravated at me? I have nothing to do with Injen or K&N. Please be advised it's you're testing method that lacks logic, nothing else.

Again, you can't deduce anything from your graphs. You CAN'T compare 2-3 HP variances a month apart and contribute that difference to one specific variable (like a filter). There are too many variables to consider a month apart.

Before you worry so much about 3 HP on an airfilter, take a driving course at a reputable school...then maybe you might be able to realize the potential of your car with or without that 3 extra HP.

It's unfortunate that you decided to take this tone. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you so this will be the last time I communicate with you. Good luck with whatever you do.
Regards,
Do you or do you not represent/work for Nissan? Your info on this board in the past has led myself and a billion other people to believe so. Why am I aggrevated with you? Because you contend that the 350Z ECU does not negate intake mods when it does. Manufacturers have dyno'd their products and documented with video, graphs etc., their gains. Run in a CAI for 200+ miles and those gains disappear. Why is that? Maybe because the ECU does infact re-adjust?

I don't give a **** about the 4-5 HP. I've tracked my Z and let me tell you it is A F*CKING BLAST on the track. I have another event in June, one in September and a forth possible in November. I could give a **** about power mods at this point in time. Look at my mod list. Brakes, suspension, light-weight wheels. Does that look like the mods of someone hungry for power?

If you honestly represent Nissan then why won't you address the tire feathering/suspension issues and help some of your customers instead of wasting time f*cking around with me on a thread about rumors from SEMA.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by droidekaus
Do you or do you not represent/work for Nissan? Your info on this board in the past has led myself and a billion other people to believe so. Why am I aggrevated with you? Because you contend that the 350Z ECU does not negate intake mods when it does. Manufacturers have dyno'd their products and documented with video, graphs etc., their gains. Run in a CAI for 200+ miles and those gains disappear. Why is that? Maybe because the ECU does infact re-adjust?

I don't give a **** about the 4-5 HP. I've tracked my Z and let me tell you it is A F*CKING BLAST on the track. I have another event in June, one in September and a forth possible in November. I could give a **** about power mods at this point in time. Look at my mod list. Brakes, suspension, light-weight wheels. Does that look like the mods of someone hungry for power?

If you honestly represent Nissan then why won't you address the tire feathering/suspension issues and help some of your customers instead of wasting time f*cking around with me on a thread about rumors from SEMA.
Ease up, brad. Its not his dept. and I share your perspective, don't let it give you a stroke. Lets see how our recent push works out. Its too soon for a multi-national corporation to respond to it. The month of May could be interesting for our arena, let it ride for a few weeks and we'll see. I'm waiting and I'm not open to discussion now because I have no news yet.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:45 PM
sands

Originally posted by Boomer
Ease up, brad. Its not his dept. and I share your perspective, don't let it give you a stroke.
I share your frustration, but I doubt Mr350z is in the position to discuss this issue or he already would have. I have appreciated his information in the past and hope he continues to provide what information he can in the future.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:40 PM
rodH

Droid, after you CAI situation, I LOVE this part of your sig "STOCK air filter", classic!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by rodH
Droid, after you CAI situation, I LOVE this part of your sig "STOCK air filter", classic!!!
Good eye, rod. A good laugh, too. I appreciate irony brad, you do it well.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:00 PM
droideka

Originally posted by Boomer
Ease up, brad. Its not his dept. and I share your perspective, don't let it give you a stroke. Lets see how our recent push works out. Its too soon for a multi-national corporation to respond to it. The month of May could be interesting for our arena, let it ride for a few weeks and we'll see. I'm waiting and I'm not open to discussion now because I have no news yet.
I know, Keith. I'm just bent when Nissan employees, rather real or imagined, want to come on the board, share info and never really share anything. This is the way I do business. I go for the throat.

In mid February I found a backdoor into Bose. I left a three-minute message on a Bose employee's VM and received a call back within 20 minutes. My voicemail was forwarded throughout the company and I've even spoken to Patty Bolack, not to mention three other employees of Bose corporation. They were shocked that NISSAN hadn't shared the info with them that the first revision for the sub amp was not a fix. Now, several members of this board out in California are having Bose come to their homes and offices to test different revisions of the sub amp in their cars until they come up with a fix. all_bark was one of the members I helped secure an amp replacement for.

The only reason this is happening is because of what I did. Bose had been reviewing the complaints and trying to catalog them, but because so many owners are seriously lacking the simple skills necessary to properly articulate the nature of the problem via the written word, Bose had no idea where to start.

We've bought the product and are simply asking for a little support after the purchase. Is that too much to ask? Bose is reacting. Where the f*ck is Nissan? I guess they're too busy putting together another stupid, f*cking mailer to let us know we're still important customers.

Last edited by droideka; 04-29-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:50 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by droidekaus
Now, several members of this board out in California are having Bose come to their homes and offices to test different revisions of the sub amp in their cars until they come up with a fix. all_bark was one of the members I helped secure an amp replacement for.
The boy aint lying! If it was not for him I would not have received a call from Bose. They then CAME TO ME, at my house, and put in the third amp for my system. It turned out to make it much better. Actually very enjoyable! Thanks D. The man is working hard to help EVERYBODY!

Hey D. - On a side note. I see you got the S Tune suspension (along with that stock air filter!) and was wondering about your thought on the set up. Does it cure the porposing and understeer? I have both problems (definitely more understeer than porposing) and would like to cure both. thanks.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:10 AM
droideka

Originally posted by all_bark
Hey D. - On a side note. I see you got the S Tune suspension (along with that stock air filter!) and was wondering about your thought on the set up. Does it cure the porposing and understeer? I have both problems (definitely more understeer than porposing) and would like to cure both. thanks.
I don't have it yet. It's sitting in a port in Canada. I just got tired of seeing ON ORDER in my sig. I guess I'll change it until I actually get it installed.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:58 PM
tbcz

droide,

I think you're a little out of line on this one. You're jumping down this guys throat for not explaining why the aftermarket filters you've tried don't make the HP increases their manufacturers promised? Are you kidding me? I know you always like to speak your mind, but come on...this was IMO unwarranted.