MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Anyone here in the military? You think that check is enough... (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/279518-anyone-here-in-the-military-you-think-that-check-is-enough.html)

Zmazing03 06-15-2007 08:09 PM

And as I browse this thread, there is a banner add at the bottom of the page for....

militarysearch.usptgear.com

illjim69 06-16-2007 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
:icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18:

*got a 99*

:icon18: :icon18: :icon18:

lets be honest here, the ASVAB and all associated line scores have absolutely nothing to do with how smart you are. i met all kinds of "smart" people in my line of work who got high ASVAB scores and they usually lack the most important thing of all. COMMON SENSE!

common sense > everything else

not saying you're dumb or anything, you just reminded me of the people who get high scores on the ASVAB, they are always quick to say something like "i got a 120 GT score".

jim

six3mike 06-16-2007 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nimicus
They sure are getting desperate. And remember MOS aren't guaranteed NO MATTER WHAT YOUR RECRUITER TELLS YOU! MOS fields are guranateed; MOS's are not!

Thats not true for the Army. We put people in specific MOS's not fields like the other branches. The only MOS which gets offered as a "field" is 18X, Special Forces Recruit.

rythex 06-16-2007 05:09 AM

DONT DO IT.

that is all.

six3mike 06-16-2007 05:13 AM

Military pay chart here. So you can see exactly what you will be making. If you live in a state which has state tax find someone who lives in one that doesnt and change your home of record there. Another thing you need to consider is that in the Air Force you will be an E-3 for a LONG time. And an E-4 for even longer. That is the biggest reason I dont recommend the Air Force to anyone, especially if you are thinking about retiring. Slowest promotions of any branch, which means less money and more work.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/2006..._Pay_Table.pdf

PJ 32 06-16-2007 05:47 AM

^^^

=Another thing you need to consider is that in the Air Force you will be an E-3 for a LONG time. And an E-4 for even longer. That is the biggest reason I dont recommend the Air Force to anyone, especially if you are thinking about retiring. Slowest promotions of any branch, which means less money and more work.
I am in the AF an I am an E-6......IF you come in as an E-3 it seems like a long time before you make e-4 but it's not that long. The longest a person remains an e-4 depends on how they test. If you study you can make e-5 in 4 yrs. Say what you want about the AF, but our quality of Life is far better than any other branch. (they will tell you that) Yes you do get promoted faster in the Army and Marines, but you can also get it taken away just as fast. In the AF you would have to do something really stupid to get your stripe removed (DUI or drugs.... usually is the quickest) All of the branches are good and have something to offer. The military are truly unique individuals. This isn't for everyone if you are joining for money then I will tell you don't join. Yes we don't make a lot but we get a lot of perks that you just can't get on the outside for free. This is a rough time in the military and I can't lie if you get a job that sucks, your time in the military will suck.

zand02max 06-16-2007 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by PJ 32
^^^

I am in the AF an I am an E-6......IF you come in as an E-3 it seems like a long time before you make e-4 but it's not that long. The longest a person remains an e-4 depends on how they test. If you study you can make e-5 in 4 yrs. Say what you want about the AF, but our quality of Life is far better than any other branch. (they will tell you that) Yes you do get promoted faster in the Army and Marines, but you can also get it taken away just as fast. In the AF you would have to do something really stupid to get your stripe removed (DUI or drugs.... usually is the quickest) All of the branches are good and have something to offer. The military are truly unique individuals. This isn't for everyone if you are joining for money then I will tell you don't join. Yes we don't make a lot but we get a lot of perks that you just can't get on the outside for free. This is a rough time in the military and I can't lie if you get a job that sucks, your time in the military will suck.

+1, AF "IN the rear with the GEAR"

And thats a fact, well at leats for most of us, :)

xjongsangx80 06-16-2007 06:02 AM

Damn..it takes 4 yrs to make E-5 in AF? It seems like really long time. It takes 2 yrs for Army from E-1 to E-5. It's all depends on how you do though..
I've seen some soldiers staying in E-4 for 7 years..;; people who do not want responsibility that is.

And to OP, don't do it. I bet you won't recommand to your soldier under you when you become a Sergeat. Unless you become a buck Sergeat.

mcurry5 06-16-2007 06:05 AM

I was 11b from 1998-2002. Stationed at Ft Myer,VA. I was there when the Pentagon was struck, and had the unduly task of sifting through the rubble for ... You can guess what for. Not a fun thing to do. I made Sgt E5 in 3 years. Thats pretty fast, but I also have seen guys in my unit stuck and E4 for their entire time in. 4-6 years. It all depends on your leadership abilities and your attitude. Attitude in the military is the biggest thing that can work for you and against you. Have a good attitude. You will no doubt be doing stuff that you dont want to do, just smile,suck it up and drive on. If you do that you will be successful.

I loved my time in the military, it gave me some invaluable life experiences that you WILL fall back on if you decide to go back to the civilian world. To be honest I would have been a lifer, I liked it that much, but I was married with kids. Its a tough job to have when you are married with children. But for a single hardworking guy the skys the limit.

I played basketball on the base team and got to meet some high ranking people. My Sgt Major was on the squad. There is a guy that proves with a good attitude and hard work you can do what you want. He came from the ghetto with no money, barely got out of HS and now is the highest ranking enlisted guy on the base, in command of 800 soldiers. Not too damn bad.

Anyway, sorry for the highjack. I will defend the military when I have a chance. Its a great place for the right person with a good attitude.

xjongsangx80 06-16-2007 06:16 AM

^+1 Also you get plenty of days off. I've had enough of 3-4 day weekends while in the service. Sometimes you wish that you'd want to go back to work:)
Now as a civilian, I hardly get any days off and vacation days. It's like wake up & go to work, wake up & go to work..repeated days. I truly had lots of fun while serving yet learned lots of valuable lessons & gain experiences that you will never learn as a civilian.

Oh and also, some downpayment $ for my Z when I got out:D

dedmoonstears 06-16-2007 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by six3mike
Military pay chart here. So you can see exactly what you will be making. If you live in a state which has state tax find someone who lives in one that doesnt and change your home of record there. Another thing you need to consider is that in the Air Force you will be an E-3 for a LONG time. And an E-4 for even longer. That is the biggest reason I dont recommend the Air Force to anyone, especially if you are thinking about retiring. Slowest promotions of any branch, which means less money and more work.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/2006..._Pay_Table.pdf

he said more work and air force in the same sentence :icon18: :icon18: :icon18:

zand02max 06-16-2007 07:17 AM

1,534.20 is you monthly pay for E-3. You will live in the dorms and be on a meal card.

So 1534.20 minues taxes and all the other crap, SGLI, SS, taxes, AFRH, ect, ect

You should get around $550 or less every 2 weeks!

Karma_Hunden 06-16-2007 07:31 AM

I think its needless to say "dont do it," but i just thought I would reinstate it.

if you keep thinking like that, yer gonna git a blanket party boi.

Logic8807 06-16-2007 08:06 AM

I ALREADY MADE IT CLEAR THAN I"M NOT DOING IT!!!

and I thought my Flight Pay bumped it up to 1700 before taxes, but its only 150 extra...

vaughn1576 06-16-2007 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Logic8807
I ALREADY MADE IT CLEAR THAN I"M NOT DOING IT!!!

You did, people will continue to post as they get around to reading this thread.

That is until the thread dies and goes to heaven or you decide to close it.

Logic8807 06-16-2007 09:03 AM

I can close it myself? Didnt know that.

nosurf2day 06-17-2007 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mcurry5
What I mean is how do you know the military is for you. You already seem like one to let emotions get the best of you. The thought of buying a new Z on that budget should have never crossed your mind. Now your saying that you are going to retire from the military and you may very well do that. But without having even gone to basic training yet, how do you know its for you ? What if you meet a girl and she doent like you in the military? There are a lot of things you dont seem to think about. Just my small observations so far. I think you may experience some difficulties in the military, you work on emotion and not LOGIC. Not a good thing to do.

Good luck to you. Ahhhh to be 18 and have it all figured out.

+1 Couldnt of said it better myself! I was cadre in a basic training unit in Columbia, SC. I heard so many stories from the brand new basic training soldiers about how their going to spend their 20 years. Its so funny, they havent even finished basic yet. What do they know.

Now I am in ROTC at the University of Central and I hear these young cadets talking about their entire military career as an officer and how they have it all mapped out. So funny, 1 deployment and a duty station and people sing entirely different tunes. Its amazing what Iraq will do to a man.

Logic8807 06-17-2007 08:22 AM

Well...I PLAN on staying in for 20...lol. Speaking to experience...how hard is it to stay in? I mean...what do you realize?

vaughn1576 06-17-2007 08:42 AM

you can close this thread by selecting thread tools at the top right of the page. I'm sure you want to by now.

Logic8807 06-17-2007 09:47 AM

it doesnt have that option