Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help...thinking about this Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM
2003DropTopGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...thinking about this Z

Well I've posted in the Buying/Selling forum and even posted a link in my "Front license plate" forum, but no one has seemed to offer me any advice..

So here goes:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/354034580.html

I'm thinking about getting this Z. I've got a trade-in also. However, when I went to take a look at the Z, it wasn't in great shape. So many spider web scratches when the sun hit it, water spots, and a few scratches on the body. Interior ain't too great either. Also, I hate the fact that it's got a frotn licence plate, even though I could probably order a couple pegs to fill it in.

I think though, with an entire saturday's worth of detailing with a porter cable, I should be able to restore it. Interior I could tidy up as well.

The only reason I want to buy this car is because:

There aren't that many black ones in the area. I want black, no substitute. It's a performance model, which ain't too shabby, and I think I might be able to use the condition of the car to my advantage, price-wise.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it? What should I offer?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice...did you do a carfax/kelly blue book on it first!?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Zmazing03

Unless the car is trashed, you should be able to get it looking like new. If you want black and the rest of the car is in good shape, go for it.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:57 PM
2003DropTopGT

Originally Posted by gabez33
looks nice...did you do a carfax/kelly blue book on it first!?
Yes I have, 1 owner, clean and clear title.

Originally Posted by Zmazing030
Unless the car is trashed, you should be able to get it looking like new. If you want black and the rest of the car is in good shape, go for it.
The interior is a bit...dirty? Haha. I don't know, look at the pictures and you should be able to get an idea... doors seem a little faded, mats are worn, but this can all be cleaned up right? Mats are a little pricey though (ones from factory)..
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good.. good luck with it..
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Asian Invasian

For Some reason it seems more on the expensive side but thats just me.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The interior looks kinda crappy bro, I don't know how you would revive it but the carpet does look worn. The panels, center console, etc can be replaced but the carpet would be a PITA
Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 PM
2003DropTopGT

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
The interior looks kinda crappy bro, I don't know how you would revive it but the carpet does look worn. The panels, center console, etc can be replaced but the carpet would be a PITA
From what I remember, they're mats...I forgot though. Do the panels and such look That bad?

*edit: I just wish I could push myself to getting a new one, but this one is just BARELY within my budget (after trade-in and downpayment, and a LOT of negotiation). I'm not sure whether to settle for this car or try and look for something else.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 PM
NGZ

You have mentioned many negatives, but as far as I can tell the only motivating reason you have for buying it is that "There aren't that many black ones in the area".

Although you could live with the appearance flaws, think about it from another perspective. The car is 2-3 years old (new), and it is already in its condition. What does it say about the owner's personality? How do you expect he'd treat the rest of the car (mechanically)? I'd rather pay a little more and buy it from someone who loves and babies his car.

Also, it's a black Z. All the body imperfections are really noticable. If you're a certain kind of person, those flaws (scratches, etc) will bother you for as long as they're there.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:50 PM
2003DropTopGT

Originally Posted by NGZ
You have mentioned many negatives, but as far as I can tell the only motivating reason you have for buying it is that "There aren't that many black ones in the area".

Although you could live with the appearance flaws, think about it from another perspective. The car is 2-3 years old (new), and it is already in its condition. What does it say about the owner's personality? How do you expect he'd treat the rest of the car (mechanically)? I'd rather pay a little more and buy it from someone who loves and babies his car.

Also, it's a black Z. All the body imperfections are really noticable. If you're a certain kind of person, those flaws (scratches, etc) will bother you for as long as they're there.
God, you're right on the money. This is the first thing I thought of when I saw it. If the condition of it is like this, then how did he treat the car when he drove it?

The outside can be polished, to look like new, but I'm just concerned about the interior (whether it's the cabin, or under the hood). I wasn't quite sold on this car and thought I could push myself to like it, but I have a feeling I'll end up complaining about it in the long run.. (what's SERIOUSLY bugging me is the license plate. GOD I can't stand it.)

Btw hey bro, I'm in the Bay Area too.. the car's in a Honda dealership in Palo Alto if you're close by there?

*edit: It's sad that I've got a 2003 Stang that's in WAY better shape than this Z

Last edited by 2003DropTopGT; 06-20-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally the thing I'd be most concerned about is the mechanical side of things. If this car has had a hard life, that is what is going to cost you the most of fix up. Although you might be lucky and the former owner might have been a slob, but drove like a nana.

ps. Have you driven it yet??
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 AM
2003DropTopGT

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Personally the thing I'd be most concerned about is the mechanical side of things. If this car has had a hard life, that is what is going to cost you the most of fix up. Although you might be lucky and the former owner might have been a slob, but drove like a nana.

ps. Have you driven it yet??
I can only hope. I haven't driven it yet.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
2003DropTopGT

After thinking about it, I don't think I'm gonna consider it ever again. I just think, for the amount of $ I'm going to spend on it, it needs to be in better shape. The guy freaking abused the car, inside and out. Also, almost 30k miles for an 05 is pretty considerable as well.

I think it's saying something that a black (especially) Z sits around on a lot for a month and still hasn't gotten sold. They were willing to come down to 20-21 too. As much as I love Z's, I just don't want to spend that much and not be totally excited over the car. The excess amount of scratches, the interior condition.. I looked at a new 07 Z, then thought, "2 years ago, this 05 performance must have looked EXACTLY like this. WTF happened?"

I didn't even Want to test drive it. It's funny, I think the dealer is sick of the Z being out on the lot so long too, he's called me back twice since I left.

Out of desperation, I almost went back. I hate the fact that there aren't any black 6MT Z's in this area. If there are, most likely they've got incredibly high mileage. I'm just glad that I haven't, and I guess I'll just keep looking..
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
NGZ

Good decision! No need to look back. I know how you feel about the colors. When I was looking for used Zs a while ago all I could find were silver silver silver and AT AT AT That's how it is in Norcal. I was looking for PPW but ended up buying a DB from an awesome owner. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 AM
CAYENNE2005

Originally Posted by 2003DropTopGT
I think the dealer is sick of the Z being out on the lot so long too, he's called me back twice since I left.
Hmmmm.. red flag? I feel you made the right decision. Take your time in purchasing one and even if it is a common color in your area, after the mods, it will be personalized. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NGZ

+1

if you don't have quite enough money, i would find an '04 that is in GREAT condition, will be for about the same price. You will be happier in the long run.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 PM
2003DropTopGT

^Still though, I don't want to pay 24,000 for an 04, or even have someone's asking price that high. 24 (negotiable down to 20-21 or so) is somewhat fair for an 05, enthu+.

I saw an 05 enthusiast at a local lexus dealership for 20,995 with ~30k miles, but when I went to take a look at it, it was sold already.. A somewhat fair asking price for an 04 touring should barely be 20 imo..
Old 06-23-2007, 12:15 AM
jinhyungah

Default regarding your decision.

dont buy it..

about 2 months ago. i picked up a 04 Z touring, leather, heated seats, full auto seats and everything, 6 speed stick, Navi and bos premium for 20k out the door, and it came with a 100k mile extended warranty by nissan. and is in good condition. onlything i dont like about it is the chrome rims. but i hope i will change that soon!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:29 AM
mcurry5

Put it this way, if someone didnt want to take the time to take care of the exterior and interior(which is the easy part) do you really think they took care of regular maintanence ? Which would lead one to believe that they probably drove the car how they took care of it(LIKE SH**)
Old 06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
2003DropTopGT

Originally Posted by jinhyungah
dont buy it..

about 2 months ago. i picked up a 04 Z touring, leather, heated seats, full auto seats and everything, 6 speed stick, Navi and bos premium for 20k out the door, and it came with a 100k mile extended warranty by nissan. and is in good condition. onlything i dont like about it is the chrome rims. but i hope i will change that soon!

really? Where?

*edit: How many miles too?

Last edited by 2003DropTopGT; 06-23-2007 at 05:50 PM.