Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fellow Z'ers, parking next to other nice cars will not protect you

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Neb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z26
if i ever CATCH someone doing some **** like that I would not let it go. They would pay for it. a small little ding or nick in the paint can cost hundreds. Why should I have to pay for it.
I agree. I've only had my car for a little over a month now and I've already got a nice ding in the side of my door. needless to say I wasnt very happy.

I try to look for 'open' spots where people arent parking.. or yes, even park next to the 'nice' cars. Fortunately I have two roomates at the moment.. so when I park at home they park on either side of me - which is nice.

I've just come to accept the fact that people (nice cars and not so nice cars) are all prone to doing this... you just have to take your chances I guess
Old 05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
mostlypeaceful

Originally Posted by SiCKBLaCKMaX99
i usually take up 2 spots in parking lots where you drive into the spot not parallel park actually i do it with all parking lol
That's a good way to get keyed. People are weird about responding to cars. The more attention you draw to yourself the more good and bad attention you will get.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
Hey Galvatron,
Maybe the Middle Eastern guy was thinking "well if I park my passenger side next to this guy I won't have to open that door and he will be careful not to ding that side either." Could have been covering his passenger side and your driver's side at the same time.
Highly doubtful...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 AM
iMikie

Avoid parking in the middle of a parking lot even if there are no cars in sight. Try to get an end spot with a curb if possible. People are more likely to hit your car while driving like idiots in the parking lot if your car is in the middle.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
MadeIn350z

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Every time there is a parking thread, invariably, there is at least one reply where someone says that they will seek out another decent car to park next to under the assumption that just because the next guy has a nice car, he will take care not to ding you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Frankly, I don't know how this urban myth got started.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen luxury car drivers (especially female luxury car drivers) carelessly swing their doors wide and clip the car next to them or reach into their rides to retrieve their gussied up toy dog and let their doors hit whatever is in their path (the most guilty culprits are women who drive "girly" luxes such as the SC 430, any Range Rover or luxury SUV, etc.).

A psychology major friend once told me that I park far away and use a car cover because I don't trust people and have contempt for humanity. Because that is 100% true, therefore, I do not discriminate on the basis of brand status and will have equal distrust and contempt for ALL humanity, whether they are driving a Camry or a 911, and will park far away from everyone (if possible) and assume nothing about anyone.
At my law firm everyone drives Benz + Porsche... so its hard to distinguish between the male and female drivers :*(....
Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 AM
MadeIn350z

Originally Posted by mostlypeaceful
That's a good way to get keyed. People are weird about responding to cars. The more attention you draw to yourself the more good and bad attention you will get.
lol so true... the first thing people think is... zomg what a douchebag ... he thinks hes hot **** taking up two parking spots.

I dont think most people would sympathize with the fact that your just trying to protect your car.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
kneedragger81

i park in end spots, next to a wall, except if the car right next to me is a two door...i never park beside two doors because the doors are longer and more likely to hit mine....
Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM
z-u-later

Here are a few suggestions to avoid the parking lot hassles we all have to deal with:

- Avoid parking next to large cars with only two doors. Their doors are larger & heavier than a four-door sedan. I've seen them do quite a bit of damage.

- The obvious -- avoid parking next to pickup trucks or SUVs.

- Avoid parking next to cart stands at Walmart, Target, etc. I don't know how many times I've seen empty carts smash into cars next to those cart stands.

- If available, try to park parallel to a curb to avoid cars parking next to you. I'm lucky at work to always find such parking space underneath a tree.

- Find an end space in a parking lot (preferrably against a curb) and try to hug the end line so as to put a good distance to the adjacent car.

- As someone had already mentioned, do not park in the middle of an empty parking lot to avoid cars cutting across the parking spaces.

As many do here, I try to park as far away to avoid the parking congestion next to your destination. I usually drive my pickup truck and just drive my Z on weekends so I usually avoid all the parking stress associated with our car.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
10sec_CRX

Originally Posted by blackstealthz
I guess that means i dont trust anyone either
+1 on that.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 AM
mostlypeaceful

Originally Posted by z-u-later
- If available, try to park parallel to a curb to avoid cars parking next to you. I'm lucky at work to always find such parking space underneath a tree.
You're advocating parking under trees? The ones that drop sap, leaves, and other debris onto your paint?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:25 AM
cbeneke

My GF always gets pissed because I park as far away as possible. I offer to drop her off and walk alone, but she refuses. I think she just likes to b*tch. Either way, the long walk gives me time to smoke a cigarette.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:46 AM
mostlypeaceful

Originally Posted by MadeIn350z
lol so true... the first thing people think is... zomg what a douchebag ... he thinks hes hot **** taking up two parking spots.

I dont think most people would sympathize with the fact that your just trying to protect your car.
I keep replying to this thread, but I just came across this link.

http://digg.com/autos/The_Best_Parki...te_of_All_Time

Most people have some serious hate for you if you park across two spots.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
vektra

Originally Posted by alexfair
For all you people that double park, i do the same but at the same time I can't help but think that maybe some haters out there target our cars more... i mean hey now they have a real reason to key our car, we are being jack-holes by thinking we have the most bomb car in the world that it deserves two parking spots, or that we as a person are arrogant in general.
FYI, I have heard of a guy a friend of mine used to know who would go out of his way to key a car that is double parked just for the hell of it.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Every time there is a parking thread, invariably, there is at least one reply where someone says that they will seek out another decent car to park next to under the assumption that just because the next guy has a nice car, he will take care not to ding you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Frankly, I don't know how this urban myth got started.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen luxury car drivers (especially female luxury car drivers) carelessly swing their doors wide and clip the car next to them or reach into their rides to retrieve their gussied up toy dog and let their doors hit whatever is in their path (the most guilty culprits are women who drive "girly" luxes such as the SC 430, any Range Rover or luxury SUV, etc.).

A psychology major friend once told me that I park far away and use a car cover because I don't trust people and have contempt for humanity. Because that is 100% true, therefore, I do not discriminate on the basis of brand status and will have equal distrust and contempt for ALL humanity, whether they are driving a Camry or a 911, and will park far away from everyone (if possible) and assume nothing about anyone.
Really depends on what kind of car.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by mostlypeaceful
You're advocating parking under trees? The ones that drop sap, leaves, and other debris onto your paint?
Yes, newb, shade is good. Those items are easily removed and should not damage your paint. Much less expensive than fixing a door dent, doesn't it.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Kelly_A

Never really been a big problem for me.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 AM
dhwang80

I stopped by Advance auto one day to grab a few things. As I was checking out, I looked out towards my car and a "not the car you want to park next to" pulls in right beside me. As the driver got out, I noticed he was extremely cautious in opening his door and getting out. Upon getting out, he looked my car up and down, subtly of course.

it all depends on the driver, in my humble opinion. You'll have those people that don't care that drive all makes and models. And then you have those people who drive beaters/luxury cars that respect "a work of art" when they see it.

Me, I just park far away regardless and if anyone parks next to me (Modified WRX, granny buick, BMW...I don't care if it was the GT-R!), me no likey!!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Hoyt_Z

I find that the Z fits comfortable in 2 spots on a diagnol and veryyyy far away from others....a walk never killed anybody but someone smacking my Z that may turn into another story!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by infamous350
i agree. But i think it stil helps because someone with a more exspensive car will stil be more carefull then someone with a hoopty. It can happen either way but i rather park next to a rang rover then a civice

Yep, Rang Rover's are much less likely to ding you than Civice's, . JK.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Divergent13

Definitely, and a Lamborghini Roadster is even less likely to ding you. What you should take away from this thread is always seek a Lamborghini to park next to and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Fellow Z'ers, parking next to other nice cars will not protect you