Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow Z'ers, parking next to other nice cars will not protect you

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 AM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow Z'ers, parking next to other nice cars will not protect you

Every time there is a parking thread, invariably, there is at least one reply where someone says that they will seek out another decent car to park next to under the assumption that just because the next guy has a nice car, he will take care not to ding you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Frankly, I don't know how this urban myth got started.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen luxury car drivers (especially female luxury car drivers) carelessly swing their doors wide and clip the car next to them or reach into their rides to retrieve their gussied up toy dog and let their doors hit whatever is in their path (the most guilty culprits are women who drive "girly" luxes such as the SC 430, any Range Rover or luxury SUV, etc.).

A psychology major friend once told me that I park far away and use a car cover because I don't trust people and have contempt for humanity. Because that is 100% true, therefore, I do not discriminate on the basis of brand status and will have equal distrust and contempt for ALL humanity, whether they are driving a Camry or a 911, and will park far away from everyone (if possible) and assume nothing about anyone.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:56 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

I am just as Jaded with Humanity as you are my friend! I will park as far away from everyone as possible!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 AM
infamous350

i agree. But i think it stil helps because someone with a more exspensive car will stil be more carefull then someone with a hoopty. It can happen either way but i rather park next to a rang rover then a civice
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me, if I see an F430 I'll park next to it. Rather take my chances with an exotic...that is if no better space is available!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
MRfire

Far away with a car cover.........LOL. Geezus...get over it
Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
magic626

But haven't you ever wondered if parking far away from the public and in the farthest areas of the parking lot will cause people to actually want to key it up? My mentality is if the car is really far from other people and all by itself, I can simply walk up there and key it or kick it and get away with it. If it's parked near the front, I would be less willing to do those things because there would be many bystanders.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
blackstealthz

I guess that means i dont trust anyone either
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 AM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never heard or seen a situation where someone got their car keyed just out of random. Everytime someone gets their car keyed I automatically assume that they diserved it because they are probably jerks and did something to someone else to make the other person hate them.

I personally park far away and double park. Mind you, I dont double park where its crowded, I double park far out in the open where noone else is parked. Guess its an extra precaution so noone tries to park next to me. lol, I'll always make sure there are PLENTY of other spaces around where i double park.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I public I too park as far away as possible.

Here at work there's a number of us with nicer cars that I don't mind parking next to - three other Z's as an example.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stylett9
i have never heard or seen a situation where someone got their car keyed just out of random. Everytime someone gets their car keyed I automatically assume that they diserved it because they are probably jerks and did something to someone else to make the other person hate them.

I personally park far away and double park. Mind you, I dont double park where its crowded, I double park far out in the open where noone else is parked. Guess its an extra precaution so noone tries to park next to me. lol, I'll always make sure there are PLENTY of other spaces around where i double park.
I did. It was my first day by myself at work and the 2nd day at the new office. No enemies, no one I know is there. Yep...huge front fender to rear quarter panels key marks on my integra. I was pissed beyond words and my car wasn't riced out nor did I do anything stupid - especially in a work environment.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 AM
xxnismoxx

I got passenger door a lil ding due to my boss being a jerk and not caring. Mind you, he has a 911 gt turbo and a DB9. Now whenever i park, i park as far away as possible and double park just incase.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
stein

Here at work we have an area out back where we park leaving one space between the other, about 8+ of us. For 2 1/2 years its been the unwritten rule and so far everyone in the building heeds to it!

However, we currently have a new company of about 20+ people moving into the building, I'll have to school em!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
I did. It was my first day by myself at work and the 2nd day at the new office. No enemies, no one I know is there. Yep...huge front fender to rear quarter panels key marks on my integra. I was pissed beyond words and my car wasn't riced out nor did I do anything stupid - especially in a work environment.
Alvin, your ride is amazing. I stared at it for like 30 minutes when I first got on here. Very nicely done IMHO.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:17 AM
brandonanix

I work for Mercedes and previously for BMW. The Majority of the drivers with these cars are housewifes, or people leasing these cars, that ARE NOT enthousiasts about cars and could care less about the car, its just transportation for 36 months until the lease is up.

BUT, porsche owners, ferrari, viper, etc etc etc owners, obviously do care about their car 95% of the time,and will not smack their door into your car because just like us, they dont want a chip on the new car.

best bet is to just park miles from anyone...but then again, someone will always end up parking next to you, even if you do park a few football fields away.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
groove269

just put cones on the surrounding spaces and put "wet paint" or some sign so no one parks next to you or behind or infront etc.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I just got into work (only working 2 hours) and I car-covered my Z. Whats wrong with me? I also will not use our parking lot, I use the empty one across the street!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
nickZ33

i have to park in the parking garage at school, so sure enough i park at the top floor in the corner near an elevator right next to the camera... i dont trust people @ all but i dont have a problem with that
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
VENOMSZ

I will always park as far away as possible.
Friends always trip on me though...
Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Delako

I was at a library in the pouring rain walking out to my car..I saw a guy park and KICK his door open to get out quickly and not get wet..and of course SLAM into my fender. I run over there with my umbrella and tell him to hold up right there while I checked for any dents. I checked real good as his *** got soaked, and thankfully no dents.

I then dismissed him to freeze his *** off inside.

Quick Reply: Fellow Z'ers, parking next to other nice cars will not protect you