MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000 (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/298009-help-me-decide-350z-or-s2000.html)

lilaznxboi08 09-02-2007 12:09 PM

basically depends on what you want your car for?? daily driver? then the Z, its more comfortable and more economic since it actually has a trunk. if you want a better track car then you'll pick the s2k.

monkey_zee 09-02-2007 12:21 PM

I thought about this question for a long time and I'm here. I'm so glad I didn't choose the S2000. Yeah the S has great handling as well, but overall the Z is no comparison in performance/engine capability.

krnzzang84 09-02-2007 12:44 PM

yes you can not compare 4 banger with 6 banger,, let me smoke S2k

Key Of Z 09-02-2007 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by krnzzang84

Well you're wrong of course. If you know how to drive both, they are close in performance. Each is better in certain instances. The Z is getting better while the S2k stays basically unchanged. It was designed as a great handling roadster and not as a drag racer, and did that extremely well. It's good to live in a time where there are choices as good as either one of these cars. So like I said, lots of thoughtful well reasoned comments here. Yours just wasn't one of them. :rolleyes: Continue smoking whatever you were smoking.

jones21 09-02-2007 01:24 PM

the Z's torque is worth it.. but its all up to what you like and want. And i dont know how much mods are for the S2K but mods for the Z are pretty expensive

TerraNova3 09-02-2007 03:32 PM

4 banger? No no no the ford focus has a 4cylinder, Get a Z.

kyoeyes 09-02-2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by krnzzang84

Its people like you that I love to smoke, both are great cars, it really comes down to the person which car is better suited for their needs/preference. But when I see an ignorant guy like you I don't mind to waste some gas and smoke you, one of the things I like to do with my sleeper turbo S. For the true enthusiasts who have made insightful comments with no stupid comments such as "this car is better cuz its faster" this is why forums survive.

kyoeyes 09-02-2007 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jones21
the Z's torque is worth it.. but its all up to what you like and want. And i dont know how much mods are for the S2K but mods for the Z are pretty expensive

Mods for s2k are expensive as well, a lot of baller items avail. just like with the Z. Once you go FI, I tend to think Z will cost more only because s2ks come with forged internals therefor less work needed on some cases. We don't have pop chargers which are relatively cheap, a lot of our intakes cost $$$ such as mugen, j's racing, arc, but then theres k & n which is also relatively afford.

I agree that torque is fun, but I love high rev + torque = :icon11: Which can be had with a turbo S, boost starts at 4k, full boost at 4.8k-5k and power all the way up to 9k is quite fun.

Key Of Z 09-02-2007 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TerraNova3
4 banger? No no no the ford focus has a 4cylinder, Get a Z.

More brilliance. :rolleyes:

Fletch69z 09-02-2007 05:12 PM

Do you want torque and a comfortable, bigger car? Or do you want a smaller car with less torque and power? I have driven S2000's and they are ok, but they are just tiny and don't really handle much better (if at all) than my Z. I have a friend with one that's pushing 550 HP and it's fast but he's spent a LOT of money. It's a great car but I still love mine.

Key Of Z 09-02-2007 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by kyoeyes
Its people like you that I love to smoke, both are great cars, it really comes down to the person which car is better suited for their needs/preference. But when I see an ignorant guy like you I don't mind to waste some gas and smoke you, one of the things I like to do with my sleeper turbo S. For the true enthusiasts who have made insightful comments with no stupid comments such as "this car is better cuz its faster" this is why forums survive.

Bingo!

TreeFiddyZee 09-02-2007 06:04 PM

I looked at both for a long time. The S since 2000 and the Z since 2003. I've driven both and they're both sweet, but honestly, I'd get bored with the Honda very rapidly. I've had my Z for a year and I like it more and more. I know I'll get flack on this, but the Z is faster. Only slightly, but it is.
If I had my druthers, I'd druther have both of them. After looking at both of them as long as I did, I'm not at all sad that I chose the Z.
Clear as mud now?

trains1937 09-03-2007 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by lilaznxboi08
basically depends on what you want your car for?? daily driver? then the Z, its more comfortable and more economic since it actually has a trunk. if you want a better track car then you'll pick the s2k.

+1

pastelin 09-03-2007 07:50 PM

350z vs S2000

I owned both 07' S2000 & 06' Z, Both are very nice but different, for track I use my Z, for street my S, insurance about the same, gas same, maintenance same, track times: Z......

Bam-0 09-03-2007 08:46 PM

both are good cars

Chosin 09-04-2007 06:12 AM

Prior to buying my 07 ZR I test drove both and to me the S2000 did not feel as well built as the Z. Also the interior seemed very cheap and bland not to mention the top being exposed and not looking as clean when down as the ZR. Well unless you get out and put the cover on which I would never do. To me the ZR is just a nicer overall car to drive and look at than the S2000.

kyoeyes 09-04-2007 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chosin
Prior to buying my 07 ZR I test drove both and to me the S2000 did not feel as well built as the Z. Also the interior seemed very cheap and bland not to mention the top being exposed and not looking as clean when down as the ZR. Well unless you get out and put the cover on which I would never do. To me the ZR is just a nicer overall car to drive and look at than the S2000.

Yea sometimes I look at the S interior and it does look bland but its not meant to be a luxary roadster anyhow but quality is solid.

metal_gear350 09-04-2007 11:23 AM

i wish i had a s2000. each day i regret getting a blasted 350z. Its just certain things about the z like the exhaust tone, the look, the ability to put wide tires and rims, and the feel.....wait a minute those are all the things i like. haha nevermind i love the z.

Karma_Hunden 09-04-2007 11:30 AM

The S2K has no torque. Believe me, torque is very important. The Vtec crap is what makes it fast, but unless you plan to be next to redline when ya need some power to pass a car or jsut accelerate hard enough, then forget about power, it isnt there under 6K rpms/Vtec range.

Car is great though. I just came back from an autox event and it was a small course made specially for equal opportunity to get good times for everyone...what I mean is, well driven GTI's/Civics/etc were/could get better times than bad driven Zs/Evos/STi/Vettes etc...there wasnt a single S2K that could beat the [best] Z times...even my friend with a hooked up Scion tC got better times and he's N/A with big tires and ripped interior. Thats all.

tribal_visionz 09-04-2007 12:10 PM

If you're buying an 07 Z, then get the Z. If not, buy the s2k.

DelayedZ 09-04-2007 12:56 PM

From the physical point of view, if your even remotely tall count the s2000 out, lol...I'm 6'4 and can barely fit in it, I feel like I was gonna break it when i test drove it.

Pruman 09-05-2007 04:13 PM

Drive both, pick which one you like.

Our cars spank s2000's though.

Key Of Z 09-05-2007 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pruman
Drive both, pick which one you like.

Our cars spank s2000's though.

It depends on the driver and the course. But I will say, my new '07 Z feels a lot faster than my '03 s2k did. I was sure that I was going to miss the S, but I'm having so much fun with the Z that I don't. :icon17:

VQZ33_Jake 09-05-2007 08:56 PM

do you know the definition of horse power? tourque?
the only thing the S2k is good for is its high redline and handling. the F20C is nothing to smile about.

Jake

ybloc2427 09-05-2007 09:01 PM

is it just me or does the s2000 look like a little pissed off mosquito from the front?

z32 Outlaw Z 09-05-2007 09:05 PM

IMO i think the s2k looks like a Miata..... there is absolutly no room inside, its all crammed and i felt crammmed too.... interior is very basic compared to the Z..... the Z is a small car but feels roomy inside....
350Z FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyoeyes 09-05-2007 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by VQZ33_Jake
do you know the definition of horse power? tourque?
the only thing the S2k is good for is its high redline and handling. the F20C is nothing to smile about.

Jake

Torque you mean? The s2k has neither great hp/torque but its a convert for those who like convert cars. High revs and handling are good points but not for everyone. By your standards the VQ isn't anything to smile about either then.

INDOMANZia 09-06-2007 12:04 AM

pick the S dude ull love the gear box its pure sex!!!

LouiZ 09-06-2007 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by INDOMANZia
pick the S dude ull love the gear box its pure sex!!!

i totally agree...the tranny is 100x better in the S

Key Of Z 09-06-2007 06:10 AM

I'll say again this continues to be a good discussion but there's always a hanful of "fanbois" that add nothing at all and try to drag the quality down. And this happens on all car forums. If you average it out, there are more intelligent people here than you might find in many other places. http://www.s2ki.com/forums/html/emoticons/thumbsup.gif

InSaNeZ 09-06-2007 09:18 AM

350z but go drive both and see which one you like best

Master Shake 09-06-2007 09:59 AM

You could always try this one out. According to the ad, it says it's a Z, but it looks a lot like an S2000! :-)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=229124666

redkaz04 09-06-2007 10:01 AM

I believe Car and Driver said it best when they stated that if you wanted a thirty thousand dollar go-cart, buy the S2000.

EZ E 09-06-2007 11:02 AM

I like both cars, however, being that I am not a fan of convertibles I would and did choose the 350z.

VQZ33_Jake 09-06-2007 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kyoeyes
Torque you mean? The s2k has neither great hp/torque but its a convert for those who like convert cars. High revs and handling are good points but not for everyone. By your standards the VQ isn't anything to smile about either then.

how do you figure? the Z has 287 HP, and 274 TQ...i can also take a 40 mph curve at 70 without feeling body roll. you practically made my point talking about the low HP and TQ in the S2k....i dont know if your agreeing with me or talking sh**..besides for the Z needing to be on a slight diet, its the best sports car under 30k.

Jake

VQZ33_Jake 09-06-2007 11:28 AM

Price
$17,900

Body Style Coupe
Mileage Unlisted
Exterior Color Silver
Engine 6 Cylinder Turbo
Doors Two Door

6 cylinder turbo?? the F20c is a 2.0 N/A 4 cylinder.

Key Of Z 09-06-2007 12:18 PM

Well, this was fun for four years!
[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...KandTSX003.jpg[/IMG]
But to be honest, I'm enjoying this one more. Pardon the TSX! :icon18:
[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...350ZTSX002.jpg[/IMG]

Datapimp 09-07-2007 06:44 AM

:confused:

pss350z 09-07-2007 06:49 AM

Definately the s2000.

stylett9 09-07-2007 02:49 PM

do you want to DRIVE your car, or CRUISE your car. I personally love both cars but ultimately i decided that i wanted to DRIVE my car, so i chose a Z.

s2k would be way sweet if you are a cruiser. put the top down, engine with a highredline still fun for when you are feeling stressed.

redkaz04 09-07-2007 07:52 PM

real sportscars have a hardtop

Jes-Z 09-07-2007 09:08 PM

The bottome line is "There is no Replacement for Displacement." Z wins by Torque vote. Not to mention it feels like an amazing sports car.

phenix 09-07-2007 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by VQZ33_Jake
how do you figure? the Z has 287 HP, and 274 TQ...i can also take a 40 mph curve at 70 without feeling body roll. you practically made my point talking about the low HP and TQ in the S2k....i dont know if your agreeing with me or talking sh**..besides for the Z needing to be on a slight diet, its the best sports car under 30k.

Jake

Are you implying that a Z handles better than an S2k?
What the other guy was trying to say was that while you have a point that the S is low on hp/tq, the Z doesn't exactly make supercar-power either.

redkaz04 09-08-2007 10:33 AM

If there's no replacement for displacement then you should buy a camaro SS or a corvette...I fell as though I have drifted back onto my old IROC forum....

Eliane 09-08-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
Well I have been looking for a new car for a couple months, and have narrowed it down to these two. To me it seems like they are both very similar, but both have their general differences. This car is going to be a daily driver so I want something comfortable that can get from point A to B quickly if need be. I like the fact that the S is a convertible which makes it fun for sunny so-cal, also the option of a hardtop, but it seems just a little too small. The Z on the other hand, has much more room on the inside, and you can get straight to the "trunk" without having to go to the back of the car. I plan on modding it first with the obvious: wheels, exhaust, intake, brakes, and suspension. If you didn't own a Z and took both stock for stock, what would you choose, and why? Also, which of the two do you think would respond better to those couple of mods?
-Thanks

Ahm - the coin will tell you.

Jes-Z 09-09-2007 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by redkaz04
If there's no replacement for displacement then you should buy a camaro SS or a corvette...I fell as though I have drifted back onto my old IROC forum....

So do you want to start a "should I buy a Camaro/ Vette or a Z thread"? Comparing the Torque and Feel of the Z vs. an S2K, Z takes the cake. Besides Z looks sexier.

VQZ33_Jake 09-09-2007 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by phenix
Are you implying that a Z handles better than an S2k?
What the other guy was trying to say was that while you have a point that the S is low on hp/tq, the Z doesn't exactly make supercar-power either.

i didnt say that, i said the S2k has great handling but no power. he said the Z doesnt have handling and i explained to him that i can take a 45 mph turn at 70 without feeling body roll... when did i say it made "supercar" power??
learn to read buddy. i simply said the Z out performs the S2k. one of my friends has an S2k and he even agrees with me.

oh and before you try and make a comment of how the S2k out- performs a Z because of its weight. the S2k weighs over 2800 lbs because of the rediculouse convert. top. ( Z weighs 3100) it looks like honda's version of the miata.
Jake

van46 09-09-2007 09:48 AM

hey i have my z for 2-3 months. and it was a z or an s2000 but finally i have choosen for the z because i find the s2000 mor a kind of toy than the z(no bad comment about the s2000 cause i love v-tec car!!!!)

Rexy7 09-09-2007 10:11 AM

I leased an s2000 back in 1999 when it first came out, car handled great, but the lack of low end torque got tired quickly. The push button start was a great novelty to show of to your friends but that too got tired quickly. You really have to drive it like you stole it to enjoy this car because of the lack of low end torque, and handling will not make up for it. If I had a choice I would get the Z, great low end torque, handling,looks & stronger aftermarket support. Also note that the s2000 will be discontinued after the 2008 year.

Zelig2 09-12-2007 10:53 AM

I hate to kick a dead horse... but I'm going to kick away anyway...

I just switched from an S2000 to an 07 Touring Z (for a myriad of reasons) and I couldn't be happier with the trade. Absolutely, the S feels lighter, and turns in quicker, but I honestly feel once in the turn, it always felt a little squirrely- which is exciting on a road course, but downright sobering on an "enthusiastic" ride in the country. The Z feels so planted when you load up the front before turning in, and it remains so- I can put down power alot earlier with the Z. The sound of VTEC is admittedly intoxicating at high revs, but eventually aggravating mid range, as opposed to the lovely masculine sound of the VQ at all revs.

I think if I had the option to keep the S for a track/ weekend car, I'd rather have it than even a Boxter because of its singularly raw feel, but if you drive every day, I really think (in MY opinion, having had both) that the Z is a more enjoyable choice, that you will get more out of on roads short of a hairpin.

And speaking of the track, I have some Nisno suspension pieces coming in this week to narrow the gap out there anyway...

Don't know if you've already made your mind up or not, but I'm crossing over from the Honda picket line to advise you to cast your vote for the Z...

Zelig