MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000 (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/298009-help-me-decide-350z-or-s2000.html)

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 08:46 AM

Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000

Well I have been looking for a new car for a couple months, and have narrowed it down to these two. To me it seems like they are both very similar, but both have their general differences. This car is going to be a daily driver so I want something comfortable that can get from point A to B quickly if need be. I like the fact that the S is a convertible which makes it fun for sunny so-cal, also the option of a hardtop, but it seems just a little too small. The Z on the other hand, has much more room on the inside, and you can get straight to the "trunk" without having to go to the back of the car. I plan on modding it first with the obvious: wheels, exhaust, intake, brakes, and suspension. If you didn't own a Z and took both stock for stock, what would you choose, and why? Also, which of the two do you think would respond better to those couple of mods?
-Thanks

BADASSTT 08-30-2007 08:54 AM

Dude your an a Z forum what do you think the answer is going to be?

ZlleH 08-30-2007 08:56 AM

Go for the S2000. We need more S2000 out there on the road and less of the 350Z.

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Dude your an a Z forum what do you think the answer is going to be?

I've talked to many Z owners who have told me to get the S2000. So... that's why I stated, "If you didn't own a Z, what would you choose?".

Paul350Z 08-30-2007 08:58 AM

How did they test drive to you?

When I test drove the S-2000 back in 2005 prior to buying my Z I didn't like the tight fit nor that I had to keep the thing rev'ed up like a motorcycle to get any torque for stop-n-go driving. I also started out for a rag top but after five or six test drives (Porsche 911/Boxster, Chevy Corvette, Nissan Z, Honda S-2000) I found that the traffic smoke/dust was bad, that the sun causes cancer still, and OPM (other people's music) all bothered me.

Drive them.

Get_Zwole 08-30-2007 08:58 AM

first off its a honda. Second off its a honda. Third off the other one is a Z get my drift.

myZter 08-30-2007 09:00 AM

:icon22: :icon22: :icon22: not another one. welcome to the 350Zforum..

get a s2000 they came out with a different body

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2006350zSA
first off its a honda. Second off its a honda. Third off the other one is a Z get my drift.

Why exactly is a Honda so bad?.... If you've ever been in an S then you would know that it's not your average Honda.

Tubbs 08-30-2007 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
I've talked to many Z owners who have told me to get the S2000. So... that's why I stated, "If you didn't own a Z, what would you choose?".

ummm.... lessee.... At one time I did NOT have an S2000... and I chose the 350 instead.

I'm feeling nice today though so....

S2000 is smaller, lighter and easier to toss around in corners (I believe it gets a little "twitchy" at times). It has no luggage room, very tight inside, and no torque.

350z is a bit bigger, has more luggage space, slightly heavier, very roomy inside and lots o' torque. It is very predictable in corners, and easy to drive at the limit. It is not as easy to toss around as the s2000, but some suspension mods can fix that.

Paul350Z 08-30-2007 09:02 AM

I was going to get the Porsche 911 but decided against it for safety reasons ... a young urban youth puts a Glock into my ear and says "yo foo, give up the car". I don't hear that well and you can see what problems that might cause. :icon38:

IMHO the S-2000 is a nice car for females or gheys.

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by myZter
:icon22: :icon22: :icon22: not another one. welcome to the 350Zforum..

get a s2000 they came out with a different body

Well I have posted the same thread on both the 350Z and S2000 forums, and am looking to see what people like/dislike about both cars.

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tubbs
ummm.... lessee.... At one time I did NOT have an S2000... and I chose the 350 instead.

I'm feeling nice today though so....

S2000 is smaller, lighter and easier to toss around in corners (I believe it gets a little "twitchy" at times). It has no luggage room, very tight inside, and no torque.

350z is a bit bigger, has more luggage space, slightly heavier, very roomy inside and lots o' torque. It is very predictable in corners, and easy to drive at the limit. It is not as easy to toss around as the s2000, but some suspension mods can fix that.

Thanks, that's very helpful.:)

Bolaz 08-30-2007 09:06 AM

Why exactly is a Honda so bad?.... If you've ever been in an S then you would know that it's not your average Honda.

:icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18:

That quote just made my day...

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bolaz
:icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18: :icon18:

That quote just made my day...

Well you seem to find it amusing, so can you tell me what is SO BAD about a honda? Nobody can seem to give me the answer for that. Everyone flames Honda's for no particular reason, when in fact they are one of the best selling, more reliable car manufcturers out there.

BADASSTT 08-30-2007 09:14 AM

I have allways owned Z's all my life. I really dont have eyes for any other cars and I especially hate hondas. But the choice is yours it's whatever tickles your pickle.

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:16 AM

I have allways owned Z's all my life. I really dont have eyes for any other cars and I especially hate hondas. But the choice is yours it's whatever tickles your pickle.

Fair Enough. But That's Your Own Opinion.:o I'd like to hear some others. Keep 'em coming.

saqib55 08-30-2007 09:17 AM

heres my honest 2 cents.... Both cars are designed differently. I actually wanted the s2k at first because of its soft top, high redline, and the fact that i dont see one everyday(at least where i am, not sure about everyone else) now my problems with it were, it was too small since im 6'2 and the engines lack of torque was honestly annoying. The other thing was that i thought i would like all the digital gauges and stuff, looked so cool, but i actualy liked the analog ones more. Now, i hear that the new slightly redesigned ones are better space wise and low end wise, but ive never drivin one so no comment. Now why i chose the Z...1) i actually fit!!! 2) i loved the torque(didnt really think it woulda mattered that much, but it does just go drive) 3) just everyday usability....as for my current car, im driving a altima 3.5 manual because i needed more room and lower insurance, but i am hoping to either goto the new hr z or a g35(if i magically win the lottery or sumthin) so honestly go for a test drive, and i suggest to drive it like you normally would in the beginng of your session, like short shiftin and such, and then for the 2nd half drive it hard....either way, i still like both so good luck!

myZter 08-30-2007 09:18 AM

honda isnt bad i like hondas. but i heard s2000 isnt really a comfy car and not worth the price.

best thing is to GO and TEST drive both cars and get the one you want. some of us here never drove a s2000 so hard to say and im sure same for s2000 forum most never drove a Z

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:19 AM

Thanks Saqib. I've been thinking pretty much the same things.

Bolaz 08-30-2007 09:23 AM

Well you seem to find it amusing, so can you tell me what is SO BAD about a honda? Nobody can seem to give me the answer for that. Everyone flames Honda's for no particular reason, when in fact they are one of the best selling, more reliable car manufcturers out there.

It just made me laugh i can't help it, it just reminded me of a joke that my friends and i had back in the day through high school and college, thats all. Your right Honda's are very reliable cars, theres nothing wrong with them, but when it comes down to it, the decision its yours, BUY what YOU WANT, not what people think or tell you to. At the end your gonna be the one driving it for at least a couple of years.

GalvatronType_R 08-30-2007 09:24 AM

I test drove the s2k before I bought the Z and I won't lie, the s2k is a better handling car and it has the standard Honda quality fit and finish (unlike the fanbois here, I can call it like it is and say that Honda makes very decent cars, probably better quality cars overall than Nissan).

Still, the s2k has its drawbacks, namely no low end torque, shoddy cramped interior, etc. Without bias, I find the Z more fun to drive but try them both and decide for yourself.

Shift_Z33 08-30-2007 09:25 AM

I chose the Z, but I still have love for the S2000 since it's a dedicated sports car and roadster. The Z has more headroom and interior space. I dont really even need to tell you about Hondas and torque, do I? I actually plan on buying the S in a few years depending on how it looks then. The Z isnt quite as raw as the S, it's more of a gt type car. I love the Z to death though. I think both cars are great pieces of machinery and do a great job of putting a smile on the drivers face. Now, that I've told you about my opinion, GO DRIVE BOTH AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:27 AM

Thanks, everyone is very helpful here. For a daily driver, I honestly think the Z fits into that catagory better. The S is more like a fun weekend car. More opinions would be great. :)

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bolaz
It just made me laugh i can't help it, it just reminded me of a joke that my friends and i had back in the day through high school and college, thats all. Your right Honda's are very reliable cars, theres nothing wrong with them, but when it comes down to it, the decision its yours, BUY what YOU WANT, not what people think or tell you to. At the end your gonna be the one driving it for at least a couple of years.

Oh, alrighty. Sounds good.;)

jaspendlove 08-30-2007 09:31 AM

But the choice is yours it's whatever tickles your pickle.

agreed.

here is a little info.

S2000-An impressive 237 hp at 7800 rpm and 162 lb.-ft. of torque at 6800 rpm gives an advanced lesson in acceleration. Factor in performance-oriented gearing, and the S2000 driver is treated to high-revving adrenaline.

350Z-Horsepower 306 hp @ 6800 rpm
Torque 268 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm

I hope that helps. These stats came right from the companies website

Tubbs 08-30-2007 09:33 AM

What do you want from the car anyways? Because, honestly, if I wanted a strictly "fun" car, I'd go with a Lotus. Why stop at an S2000? The 350 makes a terrific daily driver, roadtrip car. I can put 3-4 large travel bags, some backpacks a dog and a chick in the car, and not compromise visibility. Plus, with my Zeal suspension, sways and a-arms, the car handles better than an S2000.

mcurry5 08-30-2007 09:39 AM

Get the S2000 for sure. We dont need anymore Zs on the road.

Vorais 08-30-2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tubbs
What do you want from the car anyways? Because, honestly, if I wanted a strictly "fun" car, I'd go with a Lotus. Why stop at an S2000? The 350 makes a terrific daily driver, roadtrip car. I can put 3-4 large travel bags, some backpacks a dog and a chick in the car, and not compromise visibility. Plus, with my Zeal suspension, sways and a-arms, the car handles better than an S2000.

+1.. Although in all likelyhood he is looking at used where you can get a 350Z or s2000 for about half of what you can even a used Elise. Btw, since we are now talking S2000 and Elise, the Elise is a VERY fun car to drive with the F20C engine swap from the S2000 and a supercharger.

supernadc2 08-30-2007 09:55 AM

I used to drive an NA B18C integra ( JDM type R) integra and it was one of the best things i did. Honda motors rock and almost nothing in the same line competes with them. How many naturally aspirated four cylinders do you know of that do wonders like honda?
My integra was stolen from me and i test drove the S2K and the Z but i just felt i was getting a little bit more class out of the Z they are both awesome on handling and honestly i dont care how much bigger the Z is its all about the driver in both cars they design em that way. VTECH is one thing i will never be able to get over, when it kicks in its like getting kicked in the crotch and is mainly the reason i won most of my races.
So like most people have told you its really up to you, what are you looking for?
I went with the Z by the way.. just thought i would venture out and see what else the car scene has to offer and im actually really happy with my Z.. but in the end theres nothing like a honda.. so ulitmately its what you REALLY want.

Ruthless18x 08-30-2007 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Go for the S2000. We need more S2000 out there on the road and less of the 350Z.

+1000000000000

nismospec 08-30-2007 10:10 AM

I faced this same dilemma about 2 months ago, before I bought my Z. As far as the drivetrain is concerned, the s2000 is about the most beautiful transmission i've felt. Again like everyone else, the lack of torque is a killer. If it's a daily driver you want, you need to have the right kind of roads to enjoy the s2000. The Z you can enjoy in bumper to bumper traffic, or open roads on the freeway.

Plus, if you've never owned a convertible, it's not fun when things start to go wrong with the top, and hard tops are $$$.

I drove an s2000, RX-8, WRX (non STI), and a Z. Hands down, the Z was the best.

Just my 2 cents....

gohandbz88 08-30-2007 10:28 AM

When I was buying a car, I was also stuck between the S2000 and the 350Z. Prior to that I owned a Honda Civic and those cars can run forever. Anyways, I test drove both cars and this is how I came up with my decision to buy the Z. Bear in mind this was back in 03

S2000: A sharp looking convertible that has a 9000rpm redline, easy to toss around the corner and feels nice when the VTEC kicks in. The ride was a little too harsh for my taste, but that's why it is a sports car. The interior felt too cheap (the interior door handles is the same as my civic).

350Z: When I first saw the concept I wasn't really impressed with how it looked. The look eventually grew on me once the production version came out. The Z had great low-end power, which immediately caught my attention. Although, the interior is pretty plain, I felt it was better than the S2000. The Z doesn't handle as well as the S2000 but I've since done some suspension work.

In conclusion. The Z had the low-end power to put a smile in my face.

03Platinum350z 08-30-2007 10:34 AM

Get a 350z....... Ive driven a S2000 and it does not compare in anyway! Im 6'0 and the s2000 was small as hell!

Jeff

atrus 08-30-2007 10:37 AM

This is so redundant, but whatever. I narrowed it down to the same two cars as well, and I obviously went with the Z. To be perfectly honest though, I didn't fully realize that I made a good choice until after having the Z for about a month. I realized that the hatch is infinitely more usable than that tiny trunk (I skimboard), and I daily drove a newer prelude for a year and a half and loved it, but the torque on the Z makes everyday driving so effortless. I know you keep hearing that over and over, but its the truth. The S was nice as hell though, for being a single minded purist sports car. The shifter on that thing alone is almost worth a purchase.

The fact is, you know the differences between them already, and you're on a Z forum, so you can just assume that we all know the same differences and decided that the advantages the Z has were more important than those of the S. Either way, you will be loving it, but the Z has a tad bit of practicality at least.

Blue Liquid 08-30-2007 10:38 AM

After my Integra Type R was stolen, I was all set to upgrade to the S2000. At the last minute I decided to test drive the Z and never looked back. The instant torque is just so awesome. The Z has power available anytime, any rpm. With the S2K, you have to rev all the way up past 6000 before the power comes on. While I still enjoy driving my brother's S2K from time to time, I'm glad I bought the Z. The test drives will make all the difference for you.

blackstealthz 08-30-2007 10:45 AM

Well put it this way if i had enough money to own a second car it would be a s2000.

sk26dett 08-30-2007 10:46 AM

i test drove a s2000 just for kicks a few weeks ago, the lack of torque was really evident, it felt really slow, and for the $30,000+ price tag it really wasn't worth it, it costed more than the brand new 07 Z's in the next lot.

The honda salesman was retarded, the Nissan dealer and Honda dealer are side by side, he kept going on and on about how the s2000 is a faster car than the 07 z! (both cars were 07's)

Do you ever plan on tracking the car?

flintgauge 08-30-2007 10:48 AM

get an S2000, we need more hondas to run off the road.

JSia 08-30-2007 10:48 AM

go for s2000 and help make the z population less :)

Nexx 08-30-2007 10:49 AM

buy the s2k and leave us. kthanx bye.

M3ANMACHINE 08-30-2007 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by sk26dett
i test drove a s2000 just for kicks a few weeks ago, the lack of torque was really evident, it felt really slow, and for the $30,000+ price tag it really wasn't worth it, it costed more than the brand new 07 Z's in the next lot.

The honda salesman was retarded, the Nissan dealer and Honda dealer are side by side, he kept going on and on about how the s2000 is a faster car than the 07 z! (both cars were 07's)

Do you ever plan on tracking the car?

Most likely not.

Sea Bass 08-30-2007 11:20 AM

1) Drive both cars, and get a chance to try them both on a nice freeway as well as a set of twisty roads, if you can find some. See which one suits your driving style, and your life, more. The S2000 is a wonderful car (preferably those from '03 and earlier) with its raucous, high revving 4 cylinder, and absolutely perfect gearbox, and the handling is tits. The downside? That car is GUTLESS below 5500 rpm, and you will get tired of having to rev the **** out of it at EVERY stoplight just to get it to go. That, and good luck fitting even a gold bag in there, it's got even less utility than the Z.

The Z, of course, is sexy, it's powerful, and it has good handling. It also has a bit more space for items. The power is everywhere so you never need to rev it up if you don't want to (though that's fun also). The shifter is notchy as hell, but fun in its own way. The handling for a 3200 + lb car is quite good, though not quite in S2k territory, which makes sense if you understand the mission for both cars.

Like I said earlier, drive both and figure out which one suits you more. I chose the Z because of its sexy looks, awesome powerband, and all around great performance. I still love S2000s and will check them out and nod at the driver all the time, but I don't regret my choice one bit.

Originally Posted by 2006350zSA

I get your drift, you're not a true enthusiast if you're so close minded. :)

Ignore the hater. He's not going to change his mind, not even try entering civil discussion. I love Hondas, even the most utilitarian ones. They might not be or everyone, but they will still be on the road, keeping their value, not burning oil, longer than any other car.

Bumpinjeep 08-30-2007 11:23 AM

just test drive them. Why have people try to convince you?

Marc Mc 08-30-2007 11:34 AM

The S2000 is a nice looking convertible. In my humble opion - I like it better than the Z convertible. Again....that is just my preference. Performance and handling appear to be nice with the S2000 as well.

The practical side of the equation is pretty big. The luggage space is practically nill. My friend's boyfriend had one. It was nice to tool around in, but when they went for a weekend away, she had to ride with her bag in her lap and riding for an hour an a half with your suitcase in your lap ain't fun.

So...go test drive them. Decide which one really does if for you on the looks side, and ask yourself if the practical side would be a problem.

Me.....I love the Z and wouldn't trade it for an S2000. I love the looks. The performance suits my needs on and off the track. All around...it is a wonderful car.

Enjoy whatever decision you make.
Marc Mc

BADASSTT 08-30-2007 11:41 AM

Z-Phil, what are you taking about? A "true enthusiast" sticks with the Z and doesnt look back. Maybe if you like the honda so much then you should have gotten one. The Z is a real mans car. I see a lot of chicks driving the honda.

2. The Honda engine is not the most reliable 4cyl engines for racing. The nissan inline 6 is. I have seen and heard of hondas going turbo or NOS and by the 3rd pass melting there piston rings or throwing a rod out of the block.

3. There is one car that has a small motor that will spank any honda in the street. And that would be the RX7 Turbo. If the motor on the rx7 is built good it would never blow on high boost or if sprayed.

atrus 08-30-2007 11:57 AM

not to mention, the S2000 was pretty close to $30,000 brand new when it was first released, maybe 31. Now its at a full $35k brand new, when you can get a Z for 29, come on, I know its a honda but eff that.

trodis 08-30-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZlleH

+1

06PPW350 08-30-2007 12:15 PM

opinion:

s2k - very nice tranny, but wow i almost fell asleep before VTEC kicked in... dealer told me no traction control system is available, im 5'11" but my friend who is 6'1" cudnt release the clutch without his knee hitting the steering.. sux!

z - low end torque (which is what u use most of the time in a DD unless u plan to shift at 9k rpm everytime), better designed interior, nicer exterior, cheaper insurance (surprisingly)

350z ftmfw

Jorge Cabrone 08-30-2007 12:25 PM

Z-Phil, what are you taking about? A "true enthusiast" sticks with the Z and doesnt look back. Maybe if you like the honda so much then you should have gotten one. The Z is a real mans car. I see a lot of chicks driving the honda.

2. The Honda engine is not the most reliable 4cyl engines for racing. The nissan inline 6 is. I have seen and heard of hondas going turbo or NOS and by the 3rd pass melting there piston rings or throwing a rod out of the block.

3. There is one car that has a small motor that will spank any honda in the street. And that would be the RX7 Turbo. If the motor on the rx7 is built good it would never blow on high boost or if sprayed.

Although I love my Z too death, too many damn people have them. I see more chicks young and old driving Z's than I do the s2k. The s2k has been out longer yet I see less of them on the road. (granted also S2k production is less than the Z).

I would go with the Z, more room, torque, trunk space, practicality, and you get a V6. Driving a 4 banger and a 6 banger, you really hear and feel the difference.

blinkz 08-30-2007 01:44 PM

s2000 are so damn small. i get leg cramps driving the car because i feel so crammed up in it. i love the looks on it though but its just not for me people who are tall. unless if youre 4'10... go for it. the good thing about 350z are that they have more room. the thing i hate about my 350 is that simple stuff is broken but thats why i have my warranty so oh well. and plus i raced a 07
s2 the other day and walked the thing 5 car lengths. :icon18: