Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Which car do you think is the Z’s biggest competitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 02:31 PM
TheLex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually in my case I directly compared the Z with the Boxster S. I just couldn't justify spending 2x's the $ for essentially the same performance. Looks wise it's a toss up between the two. Interior materials goes to the P car. Performance? Better driver wins.

Sorry, I don't consider the S2000 to be "competition" for the Z in the marketplace. Honda does not have lineage and image when it comes to sports cars (I'm talking street cars not F1). Nor does Subaru or Mitsubishi. The Z like the Porsche 911, has a lineage that can be traced back 30 years. It is truely a unique work of art that is changing (again) the perception of cost/benefit when it comes to sports cars.

Last edited by TheLex; 05-18-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while Im not so sure how much lineage plays into a cars abilities, you are correct, the NSX even is not a long line, only created in 1990 I think?

but evo has been around for a good while I thought, evo 8 does signify the eigth of its kind...

sti has also been around for a decent length of time, maybe not 30 years...

anyway, I dont know how much the old datsun Zs has played into ours. and there is no denying that honda makes incredable engines and has for quite a while, just havent put them into a sports car till recently. that shouldnt change the fact that they are still potent performers every dynasty has to start somewhere, was the 240z a poor car because it was the first of its kind?
Old 05-18-2003, 07:26 PM
rodH

I think the Z is in a unique class.

It isn't a convert like the Boxster, S2000, TT, and M roadster

it isn't a sedan, AWD or turbo like a Evo, WRX

and it doesn't compete well with the Mach 1, Billit, GT, and F-bodies b/c it is foreign

it doesn't compete with teh G35c, b/c they are the same company

it doesn't compete with the M3, 911, NSX, b/c it is waaaaay less $$ (and slightly slower)

not directly with the 225 hp TT b/c that car is a bit more and has 4 seats, and AWD

SO, my guess is that in reality it competes a bit with ALL of these cars (compete as in, it pulls sales from them)

I think the S2000 is the MOST direct comparo, followed by the TT coupe, Boxster, M-coupe/roadster.

I would LOVE to see a test with the Z, S2000, Boxster S, M-coupe/roadster (or new Z4), 225hp TT (or new 3.2l 250hp TT).

I think the Z would lose some tests and win some others against these cars, but it would be fun (I am talking about a thorough test-road course, accel, braking, etc.....)

maybe we could add a portion to this question, what were you considering BEFORE the Z came out

I will start

S2000, used 911
Old 05-18-2003, 07:36 PM
zogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheLex
Actually in my case I directly compared the Z with the Boxster S. I just couldn't justify spending 2x's the $ for essentially the same performance. Looks wise it's a toss up between the two. Interior materials goes to the P car. Performance? Better driver wins.

Sorry, I don't consider the S2000 to be "competition" for the Z in the marketplace. Honda does not have lineage and image when it comes to sports cars (I'm talking street cars not F1). Nor does Subaru or Mitsubishi. The Z like the Porsche 911, has a lineage that can be traced back 30 years. It is truely a unique work of art that is changing (again) the perception of cost/benefit when it comes to sports cars.
Boxters, I don't think they can hang w/ the Z too well, I have seen them get smoked too many times by cars that I have smoked. I have not raced them in the Z, but I have raced my friends and beat my friends whom have beat boxters by 3 cars.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:38 PM
rouxeny

I think the best comparisons are with the S2000 and the Boxster.

I agree that Honda doesn't have much lineage, if you don't count their excellent F1 records. However, I would never write off their cars as not being sporty cars. The NSX is an amazing car, and Type-R version cars aren't anything to be laughed at. Lineage can be a nice factor, but modern technology is what really counts.

Another good comparison would be with the last generation M3.

There are probably some cross shoppers from Mustangs, WRX, IS300, CL, step up from RSX, Celica. I would think that an EVO or STI would do very well against a stock Z.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:40 PM
zogan

Originally posted by rodH
I think the Z is in a unique class.

It isn't a convert like the Boxster, S2000, TT, and M roadster

it isn't a sedan, AWD or turbo like a Evo, WRX

and it doesn't compete well with the Mach 1, Billit, GT, and F-bodies b/c it is foreign

it doesn't compete with teh G35c, b/c they are the same company

it doesn't compete with the M3, 911, NSX, b/c it is waaaaay less $$ (and slightly slower)

not directly with the 225 hp TT b/c that car is a bit more and has 4 seats, and AWD

SO, my guess is that in reality it competes a bit with ALL of these cars (compete as in, it pulls sales from them)

I think the S2000 is the MOST direct comparo, followed by the TT coupe, Boxster, M-coupe/roadster.

I would LOVE to see a test with the Z, S2000, Boxster S, M-coupe/roadster (or new Z4), 225hp TT (or new 3.2l 250hp TT).

I think the Z would lose some tests and win some others against these cars, but it would be fun (I am talking about a thorough test-road course, accel, braking, etc.....)

maybe we could add a portion to this question, what were you considering BEFORE the Z came out

I will start

S2000, used 911

Thats the best quote yet, I aggree for the most part, I don't compare the Z to the WRX, the WRX is sedan and looks like a sedan. The Z has the looks of sports car and looks like sports car. A lot of people compare the Z at a 26k car, but that is only of the few base, I paid over 35k for my Z, which would compare me in the same price range of a lot cars.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:36 AM
TheLex

I think on a comparison basis, we need to make the distinction that this is a sports coupe, not a sports sedan. Regarding those who have commented that the performance of the S2000 is close to the Z's and as such, is a direct competitor, I guess I'll have to agree. In my case, I just didn't look at the Honda because I was afraid of the low torque. As far as potentially "smoking" the Boxster, that may be the case in the non-S version, but if you look at a Boxster S, you'll find the performance remarkably close. In the department of "feel" I'd give the edge to the 2x's as costly P car.

Interestingly there are those who are shopping the John Cooper Works Mini Cooper S, which when fully loaded, comes out to almost 30k, and is definitely approaching Z car territory. I drove the normal S version and IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to the Z in terms of power, but it is a super fun car to drive in a go kart sense.

For me, the pleasure of the Z comes in part from the fact that it is so unique, and in my mind at least, it compares favorably to much more costly sports cars.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:53 AM
hfm

Name another normally aspirated car that you can buy from between $27k to $37k with similar performance.

Mustang Bullit, Camaro Z28/SS (if you could still buy them) are the only ones I can think of that's in the same class. The S2000 and 911 are also close but more to much more expensive. Like RodH said, all the cars I've read above are either more expensive, turbo charged or with more seats.