Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please help on new possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
vektra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help on new possible purchase

Ok here is the deal, right now I have an 02 wrx, I have been looking at Zs for a few years now and want to make the jump before the end of the year. high $19s is about as far as i can go. I found an automatic 2003 z with 16k miles for $18k I love my manuals and never dreamed of an auto, but for that price its very hard not to bite.. what do you guys think, is the auto good enough or should I just wait and drop more on a higher mileage 6 speed?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:22 AM
BADASSTT

Auto is just as good as 6spd because you have the tiptronic feature and rev match. But others prefer 6spd like myself.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't compromise with a $18k purchase. Get what you want.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ALMOST wish I had waited out and looked for a 6MT. BUT, the price made me way to happy to really think about it. GL.
BTW, I still like my 5AT.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thekinn
I wouldn't compromise with a $18k purchase. Get what you want.
+1. It's not a rental car. Plus you want to be 100% content on your purchase.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM
zeekle

Speaking as someone that has a 6sp the 5at ain't that bad (I test drove one)

But honestly, I agree with the others. If you are looking to put that kind of cash down do not compromise any more than you have too. You might not get your favorite color or exact trim level but you should be able to get the right tranny.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vektra
I love my manuals and never dreamed of an auto
I think you answered your own question.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM
jtabraham

There are plenty of Z's for sale in this area. Wait till you see exactly what you want, and then try to make a deal with the seller. Don't settle on a car that you are already not fully happy with.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Jonny Boy

If your going to get a Z, then get it the way you want it. Dont compromise anything because you will regret it everytime you get in the car.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Bville

Are you thinking about buying a car? Have you settled on New or Used? It's not an easy decision to make. A new car is guaranteed to work, while an old car is cheaper. With a new car, you can get it in any model, any color, and you get to customize it, while with an old car, you have to take what's available. Buying an old car means you might not have to deal with a pushy salesman, while buying a new car means that you do. Which ever you choose, you're going to need an autoloan and warranty.

Now, for an auto loan. You aren't going to want to finance through the dealership. Most dealerships add 2-3% interest on the rates that's just pure profit for them. When you buy a car, used or new, you don't want to pay any more than you already have to. When you want a loan, get it from a third party, either a bank, or a specialized auto loan lender. Whatever you do, just remember, you want to get a car loan.

Now, as for a warranty, you need one. The car isn't going to be perfect from the time you buy it till the time you want another one. Car parts will break down, or unforeseen events will happen to your vehicle. With the right warranties, it doesn't have to hurt your pocket book. Getting an auto loan helps you save when buy a car, a warranty helps you save while you're driving a car. Warranties come in many ranges of terms and coverage, so choosing the best one for you isn't always an easy decision. You definitely want the big things covered, but the small things, like oil filters and spark plugs, you can handle yourself or get some friendly good advice.

Next time you want to buy a car, don't make an uninformed decision. Doing your homework, by researching how much others have paid, how much you can get in a loan from another source,how much the dealer paid for the car, etc... can really pay off when you do finally purchase a vehicle.

- B
Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM
md350

^ Is that even a real person?

Anyways...like everyone else said don't compromise. I needed to have my color (LS), and I waited 4 months to find one, and don't regret the wait for 1 second. I didn't care if it was MT or AT, there isn't a performance difference, however I never even saw an MT LS one. So I went with auto, and honestly after driving it almost a year I like the tiptronic more than manual. Its easy in traffic, and shifts fast as hell when you're not.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 AM
vektra

Thanks guys, My argument for getting the auto was that my soon to be wife could drive it, no performance loss and this one had low miles. I was going to drive up and look at it yesterday but it didn't work out, if its not sold by next week I may still go look at it but I'm leaning for towards just waiting for what I want. but it would be nice to have a Z to drive to Petite Le Mans next weekend
Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Bigman095

Originally Posted by vektra
Thanks guys, My argument for getting the auto was that my soon to be wife could drive it, no performance loss and this one had low miles. I was going to drive up and look at it yesterday but it didn't work out, if its not sold by next week I may still go look at it but I'm leaning for towards just waiting for what I want. but it would be nice to have a Z to drive to Petite Le Mans next weekend

Wait and get what you want or you will be dissapointed.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Altimate_Dream

I agree with most of the guys. Do not compromise or you will regret it. I bought an 04.5 enthusiast a few years ago eventhough I wanted a touring with leather and bigger wheels. I kicked myself in the as$ for years. I recently picked up my 07 touring and Im finally happy.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 AM
WTX350Z

I too am a standard type of guy. I fell onto a deal on a 2003 auto that I couldn't pass on...I haven't regretted it, esp with all the 6spd guys having to replace transmissions....

If your unsure, WAIT. having said that, I'm perfectly happy w/ my auto. And the wife can drive it if needed, so that's good for us. But I've already stated my next Z will be a stick.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep the WRX or get the 6spd, after having a manual it would be impossible to go to an A/T
Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

How is the shopping coming along?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
jdfong

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Auto is just as good as 6spd because you have the tiptronic feature and rev match. But others prefer 6spd like myself.

isn't rev match for mt? im probably wrong
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bville
Are you thinking about buying a car? Have you settled on New or Used? It's not an easy decision to make. A new car is guaranteed to work, while an old car is cheaper. With a new car, you can get it in any model, any color, and you get to customize it, while with an old car, you have to take what's available. Buying an old car means you might not have to deal with a pushy salesman, while buying a new car means that you do. Which ever you choose, you're going to need an autoloan and warranty.

Now, for an auto loan. You aren't going to want to finance through the dealership. Most dealerships add 2-3% interest on the rates that's just pure profit for them. When you buy a car, used or new, you don't want to pay any more than you already have to. When you want a loan, get it from a third party, either a bank, or a specialized auto loan lender. Whatever you do, just remember, you want to get a car loan.

Now, as for a warranty, you need one. The car isn't going to be perfect from the time you buy it till the time you want another one. Car parts will break down, or unforeseen events will happen to your vehicle. With the right warranties, it doesn't have to hurt your pocket book. Getting an auto loan helps you save when buy a car, a warranty helps you save while you're driving a car. Warranties come in many ranges of terms and coverage, so choosing the best one for you isn't always an easy decision. You definitely want the big things covered, but the small things, like oil filters and spark plugs, you can handle yourself or get some friendly good advice.

Next time you want to buy a car, don't make an uninformed decision. Doing your homework, by researching how much others have paid, how much you can get in a loan from another source,how much the dealer paid for the car, etc... can really pay off when you do finally purchase a vehicle.

- B
Is this the message board equivalent of a commercial or what?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
z-u-later

Take the advise from the posters and get what you want. There's nothing wrong with an A/T Z. If you do some research, you will find out that an M/T has more issues (clutch, grinding, OC on rev-ups, etc.) than the A/T (bullet-proof & trouble-free). I did an extensive research on the Z before I purchased an '06 A/T Z and never looked back.

An A/T performs just as well, or better, than an M/T. The tiptronic is an amazing technology, and I have proven it regularly on autocross -- consistently running faster times than M/T cars like Lotuses, STis, Evos, and an occassional Z06. Of course, mine is a highly modified NA Z with a 3.5 FD swap so it's quick as hell.

Quick Reply: Please help on new possible purchase