Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2007 Base model

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
350Zrunnin12s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Base model

For those who have a base or are familiar with it, how different is the driving experience without traction control?

I am kind of worried about the car not having it..

Last edited by 350Zrunnin12s; 10-25-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 AM
cp79shark

Originally Posted by 350Zrunnin12s
What are the differences?

Does it have HIDs?

LSD?

What are the differences between base and enthusiast.
http://www.nissanusa.com/z/key-features.html
Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 AM
350Zrunnin12s

I see that HIDs are standard on the base now. However, it doesn't come with TC Traction Control.. whats that mean? Is the car able to just slide everywhere?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive it like you have no sense, then yes, the car will run away form you. I've got an 06 Base and it doesn't have LSD, TC, or anything else, and it drives fine.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, you have been around since 2004 and have owned a Z, yet you know nothing about them?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 AM
350Zrunnin12s

Originally Posted by Z04
wow, you have been around since 2004 and have owned a Z, yet you know nothing about them?

I had a 2004 enthusiast in db. I sold it. I am thinking about an 07 base.

Back in 04, the base didn't even come with bi-xenons.

Now i see they do. So I was asking about traction control... for those with a base.. how much different do u have to drive the car without tc?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 AM
cp79shark

Originally Posted by Z04
Reading your replies, as cruel as they may be sometimes, puts a smile on my face. Does that make me evil?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is “lazy” spelled with one or two Zs?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Bary626

Originally Posted by cp79shark
Reading your replies, as cruel as they may be sometimes, puts a smile on my face. Does that make me evil?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
scottrocket

as long as you have a brain, driving without traction control isn't a problem, it's not, how do you think people were able to drive in the 90's and earlier? as long as you aren't slamming on the pedal in 1st or second gear through a turn, you should be ok....never had tcs in my life, this is my first stick though, and i have had no problems, you just have to learn the cars limits....
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
blazed54

always drive safe and slow when the roads are wet and other than that let it rip haha but no you just need a little more throttle control even in dry conditions. I've had a couple times when making left turn to beat the oncoming traffic, where i've gassed too much and the wheels spun.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:28 PM
tranceformer95

Your brain should be your traction control. I always thought that the traction control was always too slow to react anyway.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 PM
monkey_zee

I have an 07 base and the three days after I got it I had to drive in the rain.
It's not a problem if you just drive carefully when raining. Although they do tend to slide easily when wanted
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 PM
_Fayte_

I got a 07 base as well... Havnt driven in rain though. Just dont gas aggressively and you'll be fine. The car tend to like to tire-spin a lot too, even with little gas. Just be extra careful when you're making turns and i guess you'll be fine
Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
malibuboy54

well this is what happend with rwd cars.....on my older supra, mkiv, it didn't have traction control.....basically, don't floor it around a turn or your back end with step out....even if it does, its pretty easy to get back in line as long as you don't give it gas anymore.....i drove in rain a bit, and it was fine.....now if you're driving like 50+ in rain, you kind of have it coming to lose control, cause thats just careless.....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM
noir06

I've never driven a car WITH traction control. So as far as I'm concerned it drives just like normal. The open dif gets a little annoying though, once you start driving a little more aggressively. That's something I'll need to address...it's irritating everytime the inside tire starts spinning on corner exit instead of propelling the car forward. Depending the slant of the road etc.... the inside tire will lose traction with surprisingly little throttle.

I personally don't find the car as tail happy as some of the stories I've read. I drove home last week in a down pour. Hit standing water on the freeway at 55 or so with the original 040's at about 40% and you'll never guess what happened.......nothing. Little tug on the steering wheel as you would have in any car, but nothing that gave me any special concern. I swear some of the stuff you read makes it sound like the car is just waiting to jump sideways on you and I just have not found that to be the case. In fact when I have had some oversteer it's been very linear and predictable.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by blazed54
always drive safe and slow when the roads are wet and other than that let it rip haha but no you just need a little more throttle control even in dry conditions. I've had a couple times when making left turn to beat the oncoming traffic, where i've gassed too much and the wheels spun.
I drive with traction off because a rock or sand makes it annoying when I try to pull into traffic and suddenly no power is there. But I almost got a ticket yesterday for accidental wheel spin. I didn't notice the cop (or the fact he turned his lights on) until I was pulling into my parking spot at work. I guess he didn't see me turn but I got lucky.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by noir06
I've never driven a car WITH traction control. So as far as I'm concerned it drives just like normal. The open dif gets a little annoying though, once you start driving a little more aggressively. That's something I'll need to address...it's irritating everytime the inside tire starts spinning on corner exit instead of propelling the car forward. Depending the slant of the road etc.... the inside tire will lose traction with surprisingly little throttle.

I personally don't find the car as tail happy as some of the stories I've read. I drove home last week in a down pour. Hit standing water on the freeway at 55 or so with the original 040's at about 40% and you'll never guess what happened.......nothing. Little tug on the steering wheel as you would have in any car, but nothing that gave me any special concern. I swear some of the stuff you read makes it sound like the car is just waiting to jump sideways on you and I just have not found that to be the case. In fact when I have had some oversteer it's been very linear and predictable.
The VLSD is terrible and a bit unpredictable in this kindof stuff though. The car feels tail happy to me and I've always had RWD cars. Its not bad, I've only spun it more than I expected once, and that was me being a dumbass trying drift a u-turn and having to back out to stay on the road.

Without LSD you shouldn't have any issues driving with no TCS, I have very few driving with LSD and no TCS, just the occasional tire spin because of the diff locking.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 AM
noir06

Originally Posted by Peak350
The VLSD is terrible and a bit unpredictable in this kindof stuff though. The car feels tail happy to me and I've always had RWD cars. Its not bad, I've only spun it more than I expected once, and that was me being a dumbass trying drift a u-turn and having to back out to stay on the road.

Without LSD you shouldn't have any issues driving with no TCS, I have very few driving with LSD and no TCS, just the occasional tire spin because of the diff locking.
That's an interesting thought. With an open dif you could still have one tire not spinning to help keep the rear in line. If the VLSD is unpredictable or clumsy in distributing power, I can see how that might make the car more difficult to keep in line without TCS to compliment it. Do you think that's a function of the viscous type? Maybe a clutch type LSD would be better?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by noir06
That's an interesting thought. With an open dif you could still have one tire not spinning to help keep the rear in line. If the VLSD is unpredictable or clumsy in distributing power, I can see how that might make the car more difficult to keep in line without TCS to compliment it. Do you think that's a function of the viscous type? Maybe a clutch type LSD would be better?
Any amount of lockup is going to make it hard - if you get on the gas mid corner the diff tends to lock. The viscous locks less, and is less predictable in when it will lock than a clutched diff. Thats not to say a clutched diff would be better for control though.

Most cars have an open diff more because of terrible driver education - not so much because of cost. Its cheaper to leave the diff open than to throw in traction or stability control.

Quick Reply: 2007 Base model