Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

carwash scratched my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are unsuccessful with getting the owner to cooperate or even with a lawyer, at least you could go over there and make a scene in front of other customers so that maybe it will negatively affect his business. You might not gain from it, but maybe others in the future will not lose. Fight fire with fire I say, if it comes to that.

There is also reporting him to the BBB, but you would have to check if there are any disclaimers in place that protect his business from this type of incident.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll never understand why people are so litigation-happy. Nissan paint is known to scratch extremely easily. You took it to hand car wash and let strangers wash your car. All it takes is a small piece of debris in their wash mitt or brush to cause the scratching...not like they're doing it intentionally.

Just take it as a lesson learned, and don't go there again.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Get an estimate to fix and offer to split bill with carwash. There is not enough here for a lawyer who will charge more than cost of fixing.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
toy4two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would be surprised, I've talked to car wash owners / managers and they have money set aside for things like this, actually the biggest thing is ripping rear wipers off SUVs. Should not even have to go to court, just ask if he could help you out.

Oh, and don't take your Z to a carwash, do it yourself in one of those $2.00 car wash stalls.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default This is exactly why...

I wash my Z myself by importing Evian by the case, using an industrial blow torch to generate some super misty vapors, mix those with tears of baby lambs and then use a dropper over each and every square inch of the body...but hey...that's me.

Sorry to hear about this. It is recoverable. G to the L.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope you have learned to not take your car to a car wash, hand or no hand. I asked about this from the board members when I first got the Z and the overwhelming opinion was "Don't take your car to to a carwash." Its bad enough thinking about how they could damage the exterior but think of what they might do as they climb around in the interior. Gross.

Last edited by trains1937; 11-14-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 PM
flintgauge

scratch and wash FTL! never never never, never, take your car anywhere that you don't wash it yourself! No one else cares about your car but you.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
C4talyst

Originally Posted by OZZMAN
im in a bit of a situation here and i need some opinions....i took my SMB to a hand carwash which i usually take my car to, up until now i havent had any problems with them. the other day after my car was finished being cleaned i realized a scratch on my hood about 4 inches long and i freaked out, and as i was walking around the car inspecting it, like i do everytime i take it to a carwash, i found another scratch and then another and then another..all together 6 scratches the carwash filled out an incident report and after finding out the price to fix the scratches they decided to deny that they caused the scratches WTF?? what should i do , go cause a scene? get a lawyer?
Damn, I feel for you man. This happened to me too, took my car to a hand wash place and they used dirty water, ended up with several scratches on the rear quarter panel. My car was a 2000 Jetta though with over 100k miles and I decided not to push it.

In your case I'd start with a letter to the carwash owners. If you want to attempt legal action in the future documented communications will be necessary. Send them a letter and see how they respond. They will likely offer to attempt to repair it for you, using the cheapest route possible.

You can also file a complaint with the better business bureau and perhaps with your state's corporation commission. Could you find out who their insurance company is and file a claim? Also do you have any witnesses you could use? Small claims court without an attorney may be an option.

If all else fails, you could drive by and shoot the place up.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4talyst
Damn, I feel for you man. This happened to me too, took my car to a hand wash place and they used dirty water, ended up with several scratches on the rear quarter panel. My car was a 2000 Jetta though with over 100k miles and I decided not to push it.

In your case I'd start with a letter to the carwash owners. If you want to attempt legal action in the future documented communications will be necessary. Send them a letter and see how they respond. They will likely offer to attempt to repair it for you, using the cheapest route possible.

You can also file a complaint with the better business bureau and perhaps with your state's corporation commission. Could you find out who their insurance company is and file a claim? Also do you have any witnesses you could use? Small claims court without an attorney may be an option.

If all else fails, you could drive by and shoot the place up.

I like the quote in the sig. Ha.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM
OZZMAN

i took the car back to the carwash so they can "examine" the scratches and the guy goes on and on about how they get 25000 cars a month and that scratches are very very rare .... Anyway he ended up putting some sort of polish or wax on the car and it didn’t do much so he referred me to another auto detailing shop to try to buff it out......Another thing mentioned True or False IDK? He said that the whole car doesn’t need to be buffed and that I shouldn’t look forward to buffing the whole car because it will cause little swirls in the paint no matter what WTF?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by OZZMAN
i took the car back to the carwash so they can "examine" the scratches and the guy goes on and on about how they get 25000 cars a month and that scratches are very very rare .... Anyway he ended up putting some sort of polish or wax on the car and it didn’t do much so he referred me to another auto detailing shop to try to buff it out......Another thing mentioned True or False IDK? He said that the whole car doesn’t need to be buffed and that I shouldn’t look forward to buffing the whole car because it will cause little swirls in the paint no matter what WTF?
If you take your time, move from abrasive to smooth, and use a SERIES of pads on a good high speed buffer, no swirls will be noticable. Paint is never perfect, its always got micro swirls, but detail shops at those places usually blow. I worked at one for a while.....I don't take my car to places like that because of it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Ichigo

You have no direct proof that the car wash caused the scratches. You can go make a scene but that will more than likely only get you in trouble with the local authorities. Im not taking the car washes side by any stretch, but these are the facts you are up against.

The only way you would have any chance in getting them to pay for anything is if you had a statement from a body shop stating that there were no scratches on the affected areas prior to sending your car through the wash, and another statement from a body shop after the car came out of the wash with the scratches. Of course that inspection would have had to take place before you left the car wash because you could incur that damage while driving from the car wash to the body shop.

Video would have been easier but it doesnt sound like you had your camera handy.

It will cost you twice as much to try and force that establishment to pay for the damages. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Then get yourself a california car duster
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
crazydelicious

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I assume that there is probably a sign on site saying that the "Wash will not be Responsible for Damage to any Customer Car."

There was no gross negligence involved, so you'll probably have a very tough time getting anything from the courts.
Putting up the sign doesn't absolve them from being legally liable for causing damage to a vehicle. However, I do agree it will be extremely difficult to prove THEY caused it. Your best hope is the owner realizes you were a repeat customer and values that. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I am with Z

are they really that bad? you make it sound like your car got keyed. or are they surface scratches
Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

my boss's truck...

he told me to take it to car wash and get steam vacumeee...and i did...
come back...
was **cked up...dent rear bumper...got big scratch on side...T T
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by toy4two

Oh, and don't take your Z to a carwash, do it yourself in one of those $2.00 car wash stalls.

+1
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 PM
OZZMAN

Originally Posted by I am with Z
are they really that bad? you make it sound like your car got keyed. or are they surface scratches
i can feel the scratches if i run my finger across it...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 AM
High Octane

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Get an estimate to fix and offer to split bill with carwash. There is not enough here for a lawyer who will charge more than cost of fixing.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to write. Good advice.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 AM
thrill350z

keep going there and bitchy. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 AM
SOCAL350

So last year a car wash damaged my Volks to the tune of 1000 to polish them out. Owner denied and denied doing the damage.

I filed two weeks after the damage in small claims here in california. A month later the owner of the car was showed and called me a few choice names in front of the judge. After showing tons of pictures and explaining the cost and structure of the wheel the judge gave me a $1400 dollar judgement. As great as it was to win that does not mean the car was has to pay. The Car Wash then filled to make payments to me on that for 5 years. Another month passes, after going back to court and a no show by the car wash the judge closed the case for good. Three months after that I finally got a check after I threatened a Till Tap from a sheriffs office.

What I now know: Wash your own freakin car. That 5 to 6 months just sucked.....Im just glad it had a happy ending.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: carwash scratched my car