Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

i hope my door is ok...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 04:30 PM
iMikie

Default i hope my door is ok...

ok, so let me start off by saying I should have held onto the door.

As I was getting out of my car, I opened up my drivers side door. The winds were very bad and unpredictable that day. Just as I opened my door, nature unleased its fury with an incredible amount of wind. The door immediately flung wide open! As I closed my eyes, I heard a very loud cracking noise !!! Lets just say that the japs REALLY know what they are doing. This door is STRONG. I thought after I opened up my eyes that the door would be on the ground. I quickly examined the door up and down. Everything seemed ok, no noise, lined up just like the other side.

Fast forward to today, below zero weather. When the temperature drops this cold, the door sqeaks open really bad as if something is rubbing. I checked it out and I don't see any paint being rubbed. It looks the same as the other door. Maybe off a pinch where the front bottom of the door connects...not sure. It makes me cringe everytime. I am very worried that I messed the door up a little. Even as I heat the inside of the car with heater full blast, the squaking diminishes greatly. I hope its ok. Anyone ever experience this? Should I have it checked out?

thanks
Old 01-20-2008 | 04:32 PM
Zyclone Z

Old 01-20-2008 | 04:34 PM
Sean

first spray some lube on the hinge and see if the noise stops
Old 01-20-2008 | 04:44 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by Zyclone Z
that pretty much sums it up...but still does not show how really scared i was.

+1

oh, and check this...as I parked in the garage last night (i have blizzaks, they are amazing)...EVERY car product I own is frozen. Hundreds of dollars down the drain.

Last edited by iMikie; 01-20-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2008 | 04:46 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by sean1967
first spray some lube on the hinge and see if the noise stops
what kind of lube? sorry, this has never happened to me...
Old 01-20-2008 | 04:49 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by mikie92102
what kind of lube? sorry, this has never happened to me...
there are many, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-In-One_Oil
Old 01-20-2008 | 04:55 PM
edi88

ok, so let me start off by saying I should have held onto the door.

As I was getting out of my car, I opened up my drivers side door. The winds were very bad and unpredictable that day. Just as I opened my door, nature unleased its fury with an incredible amount of wind. The door immediately flung wide open! As I closed my eyes, I heard a very loud cracking noise !!! Lets just say that the japs REALLY know what they are doing. This door is STRONG. I thought after I opened up my eyes that the door would be on the ground. I quickly examined the door up and down. Everything seemed ok, no noise, lined up just like the other side.

Fast forward to today, below zero weather. When the temperature drops this cold, the door sqeaks open really bad as if something is rubbing. I checked it out and I don't see any paint being rubbed. It looks the same as the other door. Maybe off a pinch where the front bottom of the door connects...not sure. It makes me cringe everytime. I am very worried that I messed the door up a little. Even as I heat the inside of the car with heater full blast, the squaking diminishes greatly. I hope its ok. Anyone ever experience this? Should I have it checked out?

thanks
I live in chicago too man, yeah this weather has been crazy! My doors have never squeaked even in this cold?
Old 01-20-2008 | 05:41 PM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by edi88
I live in chicago too man, yeah this weather has been crazy! My doors have never squeaked even in this cold?

That's because yours didn't fly open and almost fall off.... Get it looked at. Don't be dumb to let that juss go on noticed....
Old 01-20-2008 | 06:31 PM
iMikie

yeah its bad...edi88. Can you recommend a good body shop in Chicago?
Old 01-20-2008 | 06:39 PM
Spork

This is why I recommend a cheaper secondary car for winter driving.

If you can, unless it's unbearably cold out, take a flashlight, get on your knees, and examine every part around the door when it opens and closes.
Old 01-20-2008 | 06:45 PM
iMikie

will do. I might take it in tomm. after work to make sure...if anything, its probably a quick fix. Wish I knew more about this stuff, oh well. Next time, I'll hold on to the f'in door
Old 01-20-2008 | 07:02 PM
tommykazi

you said japs
Old 01-20-2008 | 07:14 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by tommykazi
you said japs
lol. didnt mean no harm. sorry
Old 01-20-2008 | 07:52 PM
miyk

Originally Posted by tommykazi
you said japs

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:59 AM
davidv

Old 01-21-2008 | 11:52 AM
ni$mo350

GAWD that's weird. I was about to post the exact same thread!!!! It happened at the exact same time and mad ethe exact same cracking noise. It was outside of a Jamba Juice and everybody thought I was crazy cuz I stood outside for like 20 minutes opening and closing the door looking at all the bump stops and making sure no paint was cracked... I don't hear anything this morning (knock on wood) but g/l with that... I seriously couldn't find anything that could've made that cracking noise...
Old 01-21-2008 | 01:17 PM
edi88

yeah its bad...edi88. Can you recommend a good body shop in Chicago?
Check out Oscars Auto Body Shop its on 4227 N Elston Ave , I've heard they were voted best Auto Body shop in Chicago for 07 and my brother had some work done there and it was flawless, and the people were very helpful.
Old 01-21-2008 | 03:25 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

THis happened to me too the other day. Loud cracking noise, checked the door and was fine but now, at high speeds, the door leaks air. Not too bad but you can hear it.
Old 01-21-2008 | 07:21 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by edi88
Check out Oscars Auto Body Shop its on 4227 N Elston Ave , I've heard they were voted best Auto Body shop in Chicago for 07 and my brother had some work done there and it was flawless, and the people were very helpful.
thanks, I will def. take it there and will let you know what they find out. I think its ok, but its just very annoying. Its prob. off a pinch. But yeah like I said, STRONG doors on this car, wow...impressive.
Old 01-24-2008 | 06:33 PM
iMikie

ok update...

I went to the body shop. It felt a little sketchy at first. He didn't even give me a ballpark quote, but thats ok. It took about an hour and a half to fix the door. I guess the wind did knock it a little. So inside, where the hinges are, the bottom portion of the door was rubbing against the paint. You can only see the imperfected paint when the door is fully open and inside...no exterior damage

spark notes...I opened the door on a very windy day. Not holding on the door, the wind came in and almost took it off, LOUD cracking noise. No visible damage, but the door needed adjusting. $50 quick fix. I got lucky, hang on to your f'in doors or at least don't swing them open freely like I did.

Quick Reply: i hope my door is ok...