Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please Help! Possible Bent Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Ellis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help! Possible Bent Frame?

Ok I need help in deciding what to do. I'll try and make this as short and sweet as possible. Purchased my Z in Feb. It is a 2005 roadster convertible with 19,000 miles. Bought from very reputable dealer. Problems I noticed shortly after were trunk lid rubbing on convertible top lid (the cover that the top hides in) causing paint to chip on both panels---passenger side rim has damage which looks like curb mark half way around rim---front bumper painted, and terrible job---vehicle tends to always pull to right which they said was normal with the Z and the car is following the crown of the road (even in left lanes of multiple lane hw my car pulls, but they call it a drift)---front bumper is scratched badly underneath, but not visible from looking at the car off of a lift.

I took the car back to where i purchased it (non nissan dealer) and only complained of the front bumper and the paint rubbing off the rear lids. They touched up the lids and wet sanded the front bumper. Both did nothing (rear lid keeps rubbing, paint keeps chipping-duh). I took in for second time and they just touched up the lid again, and said they didnt know what else to do.

I took it then to the Nissan dealer and ran the rear lid thing by them. They wanted me to meet with the district warranty manager so made appt. He told me that he believes the reason for the rear lid problem is that the frame has been bent causing a tourque in the shape of the vehicle (front bumper pained, passenger rim, and lids are the proof, although no other body damage ever on the vehicle-not even a ding anywhere, and right pull of vehicle). He said to consult legal council and report this to the dealer. WTF???? I took to the dealer i bought it (dont know if i can share its name but HUGE used car dealer in the US). They told me they'd do anything to fix the problem even return the car if necessary. They are paining the front bumper and hood, fixing the rear lids, and offered to have the frame inspected and measured--he recommended againstt it b/c the clamps they use to do this make the vehicle look like its been bent back to shape after being in wreck. He said they'd pay for all of it, and that if it had frame damage, multiple panels and parts would have been replaced, not just bumper and rim damage. I dont know anything about this but freaked me out!!! What are your opinions? Should I have the dealer inspect the frame and clamp it up? Does this even sound like possible frame damage? Dont wanna get screwed. Thanks--first Z by the way--love it!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
XxKwestxX

I'd take it back to the dealer you bought it from. If you having that many problems after buying the car, then its not worth the hassle. If the dealer said they will buy it back from you, then let them. Go out and look for another Z.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Willowns

Well get your car inspected by some1 other than a dealer. If the frame really is damaged something shady will go down you know what i meen. If its independent they will tell you str8 up if there is something wrong.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 PM
sheri07z

sorry to hear, but take it back. got out and look for another Z. thats just not worth it. have you tried running a vin report on the car? maybe you might need to. plus, if they fix it now, how would you know that nothing dangerous will happen to you...like losing your life???? if the fram is bent its salvage..can be fix, but its ganna cost an arm and a leg. get yourself mad, and go throw a storm at the dealership. then, you'll feel better bout yourself cause you did something!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take some birght light source and inspect the car's paint on every panel for horizontal marks. Wide field of these small marks can be evidence of a panel being repainted.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bet the next time you make a major purchase of a used car, even if it is from a reputable car dealer, you take the VIN for the car and run a CARFAX on it.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Ellis

Default thanks

thanks for the replies. they will only take the vehicle back if the frame is definately bent. his goal is to fix it; just dont know if the nissan guy was just CYA'in himself and didnt want to fix it. the z is in amazing condition otherwise. seriously almost perfect interior and exterior other than what ive mentioned. should i have the frame checked?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Ellis

Default Oh

Yeah i did run a car check on the vin: checked out perfect; one owner!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Ellis

Default Any other thoughts?

I'm scheduled for the dealer i purchased from to do the repairs on the bumper and lids on monday. Should I get the frame inspected by someone? How much does that cost does anyone know?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
03Zilverstone

No offense, because it's a pet peeve of mine. Your car doesn't have a frame. It's a unibody car. If the rear lid is out of alignment it's going to take more than pulling the body reinforcement to get it to line up. They'd have to pull the rear quarter panels.

As for the rest it's your baby. You bought the car used as is. You should have asked to look at it on a lift and inspected it all. You're lucky they're helping you.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM
zeekle

well I would take it to an independent body shop and see what they have to say about it.

My guess is that it at some point in its life has been hit.

Sounds like the guy is willing to work with you but I always go with the trust but verify when dealing with anything car related. I would also do this ASAP as the longer you have the car the less willing they will be to work with you.