2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Manual Vs Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:45 AM
KPZerone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual Vs Auto?

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting. I am thinking about getting my first new car next month (August) and Z350 is on my list that I am considering right now.

The question is should I get manual or automatic?

It's shame but I have no prior experience in manual at all. But without manual, I dont think I can fully enjoy the magic of Z! At the same token, I am kinda lazy so I dont wanna shift up and down continuously, especially when I am tired or stuck in traffic..

Which version should I consider? Any tips? Thanks much!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:05 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a handful of Z owners who claim that they learned Manual on their Z. I wouldn't recommend this..but it's common.

Generally...the Z has a capable engine...one that wouldn't lack significantly if a potential owner was to choose automatic over manual.

Many people are going to tell you to get manual...i'm a sports car purist so a manual is a must.
It seems like you're someone who likes to cruise and be driven instead of gunning it behind the wheel.
The automatics have to be for somebody right? It really depends where and how you drive your car.

"Magic" or not...if you stick me behind ANY car that is manual i'm going to have a field day with it.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:52 AM
LBSOHK

i learned to drive a manual on my z , and now i dont even think about driving an automatic - its just boring... i live in ny and commute to nj everyday so the traffic is pretty heavy but i enjoy doing something else in my car then just moving my right foot from gas to brake...
Old 07-30-2003, 03:50 AM
marhot

Default Auto...

I agree with 35oZephyR...

First, I would not recommend learning to drive manual on a Z (unless it is someone else’s )

Secondly, like 35oZephyR said...It really depends where and how you drive your car... If you're a ...kinda lazy so I dont wanna shift up and down continuously, especially when I am tired or stuck in traffic... kind of guy, I would recommend the Auto.

That said, I've always had at least one manual vehicle for the last 30 years. After so long, shifting is so “automatic” you don’t realize you are even doing it. Shifting becomes like breathing. And in a car like a Z it is the only way to go!

But either way, you can't go wrong. The Z is such a joy.

Peace
Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 AM
gooters

Good post Zephyr. Good advise. I will only say this...don't NOT get the 6spd because you are scared of it. You can learn to drive a manual on any car. Besides, the Z has a huge powertrain warranty
Old 07-30-2003, 05:49 AM
KPZerone

35oZephyR & All,

Thanks much for your valuable input!

Yes, I am kinda lazy and have no experience in manual before but I really wanna try manual at least once in my life - and thought what can be a better start than with Z? Maybe I will find out that I am really TOO LAZY to shift up and down.. But maybe I will find out that this is really one for me.

One of my college friends bought his Zetta with manual in his last year, which is about 2 years ago from now. I was kinda surprised and asked why did you get manual? He answered "I think this will be my last chance to drive manual - I dont think I will drive manual once I get old and have family so I am trying to enjoy my life when I can!" That said, I am not sure if it was his first experience with stick.. But that made me thinking "he could be right."

If I were to buy Accord or Camry - I would not push for stick at all. I do not think there is much to gain from stick vs. auto when power is not there to begin with. (well V6s are better but I think my V6 Camry was still very much slower than Zettas - However, I admit that I can be wrong here!!)

But now that I am getting Z, it seems like of waste to drive auto - sure, it will fire me like a bullet even with automatic but somehow I think I will desire manual along the way.

Should I get some professional lessons before getting Z? I dont think I can have more than once or twice but.. they should help?

Once again, I really appreciate all of your comments!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:04 AM
Jason Bourne

I am admitedly biased (having owned only manuals and only driven automatics when I had to rent cars) but to me the question is:
- Are you a driver? - get a manual
- Are you a poseur? - get an automatic

Additional questions that may help in solving the dilemna:
- If you had $1000 to spend on your car would you go for something that makes it better (i.e. high performance driving event, better suspension, brakes, etc...) or cosmetic mods (carbon fiber dash trim, shift ****, chrome wheels, big-a$$ subwoofers etc...)?
- Are you considering the Z because you think chicks will dig it or because you want a car that you can have fun with on a favorite twisty road or racetrack?
- Do you think hummers with 24" chrome wheels are cool or a ridiculous waste of $60,000?

If you are asking yourself the question, I'd be incilned to go with the manual. I have taught a number of people to drive manual trannies in an afternoon or less and they have all come out with the basic skills needed to operate a manual without causing damage. Just try to locate a beater to learn on (I once rented a POS hyundai with a manual for the summer when I was in San Francisco for $13 a day from "Rent a Heap Cheap") That would be a great way to start off and minimize risk to your new Z. Just get a competent friend and go play.

Jason
Old 07-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Inova

for me the choice was easy. i had only driven automatics like you. and then i got a choice to choose my next car - the 350z. it was VERY clear to me that i wanted ta 6-spd manual tranny because i wanted to get into the whole racing scene ever since i went to tws. it is very satisfying and rewarding when you start to learn all the different techniques for shifting.

anyway back to the subject, there is a kid that i know that bought a 350z automatic because he didnt really care what tranny was in the car (dont know why...) but now he tells me that he regrets getting the 6 spd. of course there are sacrifices to be made when going with either tranny but shifting does not become a problem unless you are in heavy traffic all the time. i dont get stuck in bumper to bumper very often so it doesnt bother me.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:32 AM
SharpST77

either tranny...you cant go wrong buying a 350z
Old 07-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Btooth

also... if u decide u do want to learn manual

do a search for "stickshift" or something of the sort on this forum. there are loads of threads and links explaining the intracacies of driving the stick. I actually had my most successful excursion w/ a stickshift the other day when i got to take a surprise test drive on the Z ... its amazing how much easier it is when u have a good working knowledge of the tranny and what you are doing etc etc
Old 07-30-2003, 09:33 AM
KPZerone

Guys, once gain thanks much for all of your info.

Now I am towards stick for 95%. But I have to check my insurance b4 I can really pursue Z. I have not had any accidents or tickets and had my license since 16 so now about for 8-9 years. But the only car that was insured under my name is barely one year old now. So I am not sure what kind of insurance I will get. I get around 400/6mo with my camry from Progressive but seems like I am getting ripped off.

Anyhow, yes, I will defintely check the stick guide from this site and prepare for the test drive.. Do you think they will let me testdrvie even if I had no experience in stick b4?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:38 AM
zdrewz

I'm new here as of today and also shopping the Z and have the same question. But not from a personal stand point but more on performance. Is there a big difference in performance? I'm really liking the Track model and it only comes in manual. How does the ride differ with the Track?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Btooth

Originally posted by KPZerone
Guys, once gain thanks much for all of your info.

Do you think they will let me testdrvie even if I had no experience in stick b4?

Thanks!
definitely depends on the dealer... i was completely straight w/ the salesguy i was talkin to with the fact that i was only 21, couldnt buy for another year or so, and that i had never had much success with stick and he STILL handed me the the keys and pretty much shoved me into the driver seat lol.

btw it was SWWWEEEEEEETTTT
Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 AM
garygoon

my past 4 cars were manual and since the z is my daily driver i got the 5AT. plus im in lovely traffic rich so. cal. if you are going to drive the car every day i wouldnt get the 6spd.

and unless you know how to race a clutch the AT is going to be faster for you (though u could always learn). the AT shifts pretty quick. plus the manual mode on the AT is pretty fun i admit. but im lazy in my old age (28 y/o) so maybe thats why. plus, ive ruined way too many clothes while trying to drink coffee or eat while driving a stick. hehe

Last edited by garygoon; 07-30-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:16 AM
garygoon

i forgot to mention i was at the stillen 350z/g35 show a month or so ago and would say it was about 50/50. meaning 50% of the modded z's were 5AT's and the other 50% manuals. that really surprised me since i was expected to see all 6 spds when it came to a performance show like that.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:16 PM
john0213

Well, i'm one of the guy who learn how to drive manuel in my Z. Basically when u try to learn on the Z, it is quite hard to start with because it has a somewhat "hard" clutch and it isn't really forgiven like the IS300. However, when u get to know the car more, u will enjoy more. Seriously if i were u i would choose the manuel, cuz u really feel that u are connected to the car. You not only feel that u and ur car are combined together, u also feel the pleasure of taking fully control on the Z. I've been driving my Z for quite a while and i think if u don't choose the manuel u will miss a lot of the pleasure on driving a sport car.

damn~ i'm in love with the control of the car's rpm~~
Old 07-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Dissident

I learned to drive stick after buying a 240 w/ ~55K miles on it, and it still had the originaly clutch in it after 250K miles. Jsut don't rest your foot on the clutch when you are not shifting and you'll be fine.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:19 PM
devaraj

I am completely in love with the automatic tranny in my 350Z. All that I have to do is put my foot down to blow out almost any car from a red light (usually without even trying). This is definitely not your grandfather's automatic!! When I want to have a little more fun, I just flick it into manual and take it to the red line. To me, the 5AT is the best of both worlds.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:30 PM
bhobson333

My Z is a MT; I never considered anything else for the Z. My dad taught me how to drive a stick when I was 16 and my first few cars were stick.

My next few cars were automatic. I liked not having to d*ck with it but I eventually found myself using the gas pedal to try to force the AT to go into what gear I wanted it in. I wanted more control over the torque band. I wanted back into a stick shift.

The first thing I found when going back to stick is that there are a lot of things you can do while driving an AT that you can't do while driving a stick. Like hold a drink, or eat, or talk on a cell phone or anything involving exclusive use of one hand. Once you shift into Drive you can effectively drive with one hand with an AT. Not so with a MT. It's an adjustment you have to make; driving a manual transmission is more hands-on.

If this is a commuter car and you spend hours daily in bumper-to-bumper, I would suggest AT. Otherwise, if you have never driven a stick before and want to give it a try, go for it! Remember: This is just a car. If you don't like it, you can sell it and buy another! You aren't married to it!

FYI - I have driven a 350Z AT briefly and it was very smooth and I bet it's a very nice car to drive. I have also heard very good things about the auto-stick feature. If you feel the need, don't be embarrassed to get the AT. I bet you'll love it.

One more thing: If you decide to go for the MT have someone teach you how to drive it, don't just try to figure it out for your self! Also, expect the experience to be stressful. Choose your teacher wisely and, if you can, learn in a car you don't care about as much as your new Z. It's (probably) not that you will hurt it, as much as it will reduce the stress of the experience because you will feel like you're hurting it.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:42 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zdrewz
I'm new here as of today and also shopping the Z and have the same question. But not from a personal stand point but more on performance. Is there a big difference in performance? I'm really liking the Track model and it only comes in manual. How does the ride differ with the Track?
All Z's have the same engine and suspension, so the ride in the Track will be about the same as the ride in any of the other models.

From a performance standpoint, the Auto will be more consistent in straight line acceleration, and only a tiny bit slower. For almost all normal drivers (those who don't try and shift at lightning speeds or spend lots of time practicing launches) the AT may even be faster, since all you have to do is slam on the gas. However, if you start driving twisty roads, then it becomes a matter of preference. I have a very hard time enjoying the feel of an AT because the torque converter dampens the engine response quite a bit. I think you can have just about the same amount of fun with the AT because of the manual shift mode, but I don't think you will ever have that same "connected" feeling that you will get with the MT.

I personally just like the interaction of shifting, clutching, etc. I'd buy a stick in practically any vehicle over an AT (except for maybe a truck).

-D'oh!

Quick Reply: Manual Vs Auto?