Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z:master of none?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 10:34 AM
WashUJon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing must have 80% front weight bias!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:23 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so bored today, I'll actually dignify this thread with a response...

Quarter miler: If you really wanted a quarter mile car, you’re better off getting a civic si and put in a turbo. Evo and STi are cheaper and have significantly faster quarter mile thanks to the turbo and AWD. A lot of work would have to be put in to beat these cars in their stock form.
My research shows an Evo has a sticker of $28,987 and an STi has a sticker of $30,995. Worse yet, I seriously doubt you can find either of those without a dealer premium. A 350Z coupe can cost as little as $25,830 for an '04 Base and can be had for under sticker a lot of places.

Evo and STi faster? Out of the box, yeah, but also uglier. Cheaper they ain't, tho! In fact, I can take a base Z, put on the new ATI procharger and come in just a hair more than what you would pay for the competitors but blow them away. Score 1 for the Z!

Track: The stiff chassis, balanced weight, and torquey engine makes it fun to toss around on the track. But the 350Z shares platform with a SUV and it shows. Weighing in at more than one and a half ton, weight that can’t be shaved off since it’s on the frame. This weight penalty shows in acceleration, track performance, and brakes cooking off. Without modification, the Z can’t pass the S2000 on the track.
Umm... I think you need to go back and do a forum search for some of raceboys posts. He's already shown that a 350Z on street tires easily out-tracks an S2000 on race tires. In fact, the 350Z was hot on the heals of the Z06s on street tires as I recall. Score another for the Z!

HP/TQ monster: As great an engine the VQ35DE is, it is not bullet proof. The aluminum parts and weak rods are the achilles’ heel of this large displacement engine. It can’t stand the kind of boost that Skyline GT-R and Supra can have for breakfast. Internals would have to be changed to tap the potential of this engine.
Every engine has its weak points, so you can overbuild any if you don't do your homework first. BTW, where can I buy a 2004 Toyota Supra??? Oh... that's right, they don't make it anymore. Invalid comparison. And what about the Skyline... thought that was only sold overseas... again, invalid comparison. Score a 3rd for the Z!

Luxury Touring: For a car that starts at $26, (trim doesn’t affect the interior) the Z looks really nice. But the interior contains lots of plastic and build quality isn’t top notch. It certainly isn’t a Acura/Infiniti/Lexus. Compared to Touring trim, equipped with leather, Acura/Infiniti/Lexus offer cheaper cars with nicer interior with better build.
Well, it's tough to argue aesthetics since everyone's tastes are different. However, I'd say 95% of the people who have seen the interior of my Z (bone stock) love it. Does it compare to more expensive touring cars? Who cares, the masses seem to like it. Score yet another for the Z!!!

Basement Bargain: Not that $26k is a bargain, well maybe for some people, but definitely get a lot of bang for the buck. A 3.5L 24 valve 6 cylinder engine with 2 seater used to cost more than $40k a year ago. But Dodge SRT- 4 is a cheaper vehicle and have more hp/tq than the Z.
You're comparing the Z to an SRT-4??? Someone has already pointed out the error of your power comparison. Um... I paid sticker, as did many for their Zs a year ago. Avg price around 30K, not 40K. More than an SRT-4, but definitely worth it. Arguably another Z victory.

Tree-saving mobile: VQ35DE received the LEV designation but the 20/26 MPG doesn’t buy the hippie tree-hugger’s vote. Some “SUV” have better fuel economy.
This pretty much makes your whole chain of logic invalid. You jump from comparing the Z to "performance" oriented vehicles to comparing it to fuel efficient vehicles. No one buying a Z expects to get better mileage than an Insight... jeez... no contest here because the comparison makes no sense.

Well, I've had my rant for the day! The Z is great because is an all around well-balanced performance machine that can be tweaked to hang with the top dogs in most categories... and looks dead-sexy while doing it!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:47 AM
drew703

Thumbs up

sorry, but I just wanted to say that last response by mcduck, as well as the long one by WashUJon were awesome! I love to read about through the words of others how great the Z is
And of course to everyone else holding down the Z here, good job

-drew

'03 DB Performance
Old 07-31-2003, 01:29 PM
350zSpeedRacer

I'm SO glad I left this open! Andy and Jon--GREAT responses!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:32 PM
350zdanny

where is the guy who started the post? i'd like to hear his response to the barrage of ridicule and contradicting viewpoints.

On a side note, he definitely doesn't own one, or he would have been able to name every build quality issue in his argument... like i can =)
Old 07-31-2003, 02:55 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Ugh....350zroadster....Since you are completely missing the point of the 350z you should probably not think about making it your next car. I'm glad WashUJon and McDuck broke it down for you so I don't have to. Is the 350z the fastest car in it's price range? No (keep in mind no matter how fast you are there will always be something faster). Is it the best handling car on the road. No. But it definitely holds it own. Is it a tremendous value for the buck. Absolutely.
The 350 isn't trying claiming to be a luxury car. It's a great sports car that has a long history and well respected heritage. Sorry you fail to recognize it for what it is. Sounds to me like you're looking for a luxury car with 10 sec 1/4 mile, and a 1.0 skidpad for $15,000. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by failsafe; 07-31-2003 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:11 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by failsaf3
Ugh....350zroadster....Since you are completely missing the point of the 350z you should probably not think about making it your next car. I'm glad WashUJon and McDuck broke it down for you so I don't have to. Is the 350z the fastest car in it's price range? No (keep in mind no matter how fast you are there will always be something faster). Is it the best handling car on the road. No. But it definitely holds it own. Is it a tremendous value for the buck. Absolutely.
The 350 isn't trying claiming to be a luxury car. It's a great sports car that has a long history and well respected heritage. Sorry you fail to recognize it for what it is. Sounds to me like you're looking for a luxury car with 10 sec 1/4 mile, and a 1.0 skidpad for $15,000. Good luck on your search.
Actually, I think this is exactly what the original poster was saying. Sure his examples may have been off, but wasn't his overall point the same as what you just wrote?

-D'oh!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:30 PM
failsafe
....for your health

D'oh- yes but making statements like:
-you’re better off getting a civic si and put in a turbo No comment.

-But the 350Z shares platform with a SUV and it shows. Weighing in at more than one and a half ton...
Isn't this a platform that was adapted to the SUV's?

The aluminum parts and weak rods are the achilles’ heel of this large displacement engine
Didn't he just complain about weight?

For a car that starts at $26, (trim doesn’t affect the interior) the Z looks really nice. But the interior contains lots of plastic and build quality isn’t top notch. It certainly isn’t a Acura/Infiniti/Lexus. Compared to Touring trim, equipped with leather, Acura/Infiniti/Lexus offer cheaper cars with nicer interior with better build.
True but they have with significantly less power.

These type statements lead me to believe that he missed the point completely.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:21 PM
D'oh

True.

Maybe I should have said, "Sure, his examples may have been WAY, WAY, WAY off."

-D'oh!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Mikestro

The statements I dislike the most are ones like "I can turbo charge my crap car and it will beat your Z"

Everyone is jealous cuz my Z is the sexiest thing around and I love it, I love it, I love it Time to go hop in it.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:59 PM
TN350z

Hey 350z Roadster! Don't forget when you get your Civic to slap on the stickers-each one is worth an extra 5hp. I agree the Z is no Lexus or Infinity- but I've got news for you, I own one of each of those too. They have their own merits, the GS is my favorite. BUT........I am looking forward to my Roadster more than I have any other vehicle since my first car-a 1976 280z. One looks at all the numbers, hp, torque etc etc etc. The Z has one thing that you can't put on a Civic or Evo- a history of respect and performance in the Auto Enthusiast community. Try to pick that up at your local Auto Zone, next to the Fast and Furious Fart Pipes .

JDS
Old 07-31-2003, 07:44 PM
xtreme350z

Looks, performance, and pure adrenaline. Probably the most you can get of all 3 anywhere for under 30k. That's what the Z is all about.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Silverstone_350

The guy can have his opinions... but us Z owners know better - I don't even have to say anything else.

BTW, my gut still hurts from laughin so hard at his Civic and Neon comments.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should get my liscence plate to say renaissance Z. too many letters tho.

great at nothing, good at everything. that is the entire way of the 350Z. it has no strengths, but in turn it has no weaknesses, it is the epitomy of nuetral.

as you listed, no 2 categories kept the same positive car. and if you list out the worst, youll find every positive of one category is the worst of another.

worst quarter mile S2k.

worst track, any V8 cept corvette(50k$)

worst appearance, SRT4.

the strongest internal is the supra, yet they are horrible at track, and they arent even that great at quarter miles, gobs of hp cant get them out of the 12s.

closest car to the 350Z would be the boxster, its great at nothing, and S2k can out handle it, fbody can out accelerate it, but yet it costs 50k. if we are gonna lose to these 2 cars, may as well start at half the cost.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:13 PM
SharpST77

looks is subjective btw... we all love how the Z looks..but not everyone likes it.

yes..the Z isnt top in the categories u listed...but every car has pros and cons about it.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:48 PM
z33r1

All i have to say is my girlfriend use to drive a civic and she hated the dam thing. Lets face it civics and neons are little highschool girly cars.
No match for a true sports car.
And the EVO and STI have 4 doors the Z has 2 seats what screams sports car more?

O and I raced an EVO and killed it, and my Z is still stock so far!
Old 07-31-2003, 10:04 PM
ml2316

the funny thing is, you're all basically agreeing with op. whose real point was a compliment in disguise: the z is a great all-around car.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:45 AM
mcduck

great at nothing, good at everything. that is the entire way of the 350Z. it has no strengths, but in turn it has no weaknesses, it is the epitomy of nuetral.
Ares... I think I would change your quote to say "great at everything, superlative at nothing". Can the Z be out-accelerated by an EVO? Yes, but I hardly think 0-60 in 5.6 sec or so is only "good". Could throw more examples, but I know you and others know what I'm saying...

the funny thing is, you're all basically agreeing with op. whose real point was a compliment in disguise: the z is a great all-around car.
ml2316... actually, I don't think he is being "complimentary in disguise" as you describe it. The reason I went on my rant above was, upon reading 350zroadster's post, I had a weird feeling about the message. Y'know, that feeling you get when someone insults you for 30 minutes, then tries to mask it with false compliments at the end, but you don't realize that until 5 minutes after you walk away from the conversation. I think just the fact that he has not attempted to post a rebuttal of any sort shows that he had no intention of being complimentary and really was just aiming to stir things up.

I will say this... it has been entertaining. Besides, any day I get one of the moderators to grin is a good day!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:47 AM
TriX

For some reason my post never posted. hmm

let me make this short.

most of the car comparisons have already been said.

but i want to add just 2 things.

1 car raced m3, 911, z06 if i am not mistaken and came in a hair short of the z06 lap time. that is pretty impressive especially looking at the car cost.

and let me tell more people are curious about this car then the m3. IMO of course.

2 i only get compliments. not 1 comment was a negative comment. most my girlfirneds love the car and think its sexy as hell.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:01 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by mcduck

Besides, any day I get one of the moderators to grin is a good day!
Hell yes.