Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone here scrape their front bumber on a curb yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 04:24 AM
jmombour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here scrape their front bumper on a curb yet?

The other day I noticed that I had a few scrapes under my front bumper. I don't remember having scraped up against a curb or median when parking, and my wife didn't either. I'm starting to wonder if my dealership did it and never said anything.

It's so agravating and I'm debating having the bumper touched up and repainted. But I know I will be even more mad if it happened again. Right now I'm annoyed at not being able to remember doing it and wondering who did.

Has anyone else scrapped up on a curb? I need a social group to talk about this.

J
Old 09-17-2003, 04:27 AM
stonesfan

I did that within the first two weeks and didn't even realize it till I came back to the car after having parked it. I'm having it repaired the next time I bring the car in for service. I know how you feel!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:26 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Unfortuanetly, I haven't. I have scraped the rubber thing that is attached to the front lip, and I was pissed when that happened.

These Z's just arn't meant to park the lip over a curb, but then if you stick to far out, someone side swipes, LOL

Can't win!

Old 09-17-2003, 05:27 AM
ttsupra94

Default I have too

But it barely left any marks. I'm not going to worry about it for now in case i end up getting some type of body kit.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:40 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got all sorts of scrapes, some from curbs some from just pulling out of shopping centers that were too sharp.

one time it actually put a crease into the bar, that annoyed me.

wouldnt waste your money having it fixed, with a car so low, its gonna be one of those things that happens... it shouldnt be very noticable, I cant see any of the scrapes on mine unless I go lower.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:18 AM
Zeelicious

I have a few learning curve scrapes under my front bumper as well. It's happened to me while parking with those cement parking blocks that you pull up to. Also I made a tight turn and didn't realize the front overhang didn't clear the curb- so a few more scrapes. Fortunately they are not visible because they are under the lip.

I am used to being higher up, it's gonna take a little time getting acclimated to the Z's footprint.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:51 AM
300ZX

its not a Z, but still plenty of scraping woes not so much curbs though, but steep dips or ramps in and out of places and such. it still rides at stock height, which just bearly bearly clears most curbs with less than a 1/4" to spare.

hopefully none of you have it this bad
Attached Thumbnails Anyone here scrape their front bumber on a curb yet?-dsc01361.jpg  

Last edited by 300ZX; 09-17-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:20 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

OMG, I think I am getting dizzy, the room is fading...................................................... ...........

Old 09-17-2003, 11:30 AM
marhot

Default 300ZX

That's a nasty pic.

For the first month I had my Z I had a piece of paper taped to the dash that said "AIR DAM" just to remind myself.

It worked in getting me to remember to watch where I parked, go slow over dips, speed bumps, driveways, etc.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Blue Liquid

I'll tell you what guys and gals, I wound up clipping a small metal flange that connects the muffler with the pipe while going up a friend's driveway. Front and rear body cleared (barely), but this metal flange thingie just barely nicked it. Another thing to watch for while traversing dangerous obstacles (driveways).
Old 09-17-2003, 12:25 PM
mydogscool

OUCH!! Looking at that picture is painfull. Remember the little placard that came with the car when new that showed a graphical incline, and stated not to exced 1.5 mph when approaching an incline/decline.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:28 PM
jmombour

Hey I don't remember ever getting one of those placards. That is a painful picture to look at. Thankfully my scrapes are nowhere near that bad. I think I would die of cardiac arrest if I looked under my bumper and saw that on my Z
Old 09-17-2003, 02:35 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

It took me 8 months, but I finally did it. It's not too bad at least.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:41 PM
SchoolZin

Dude, that pic makes my stomach turn. I had a GST with 18 inch wheels that actually raised it a bit from stock and it scraped like crazy too.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:17 PM
mattyzz

I noticed a small scrape on mine as well. Either accept it, or put an ugly bra on it. I'll deal with the scrapes (though it IS pretty annoying)
Old 09-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Aggro_Al

Scraped mine the first week I got it. The front chin spoiler took most of it but it isn't damaged enough to spend the $170 the dealership want to put a new one on. Lots of speed bumps and steep driveways where I'm at. I guess it will be a good reason to get a body kit if I ever damage it bad.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:59 PM
jmombour

Man I was just reading through my original post and realized how dumb I must of sounded. First I spell bumper bumber in my thread title and then I meant a support group not a social group. Oh well everyone here has made me feel much better about my little scrape all the same. Even though I have crappy grammar and even worse typing and spelling skills. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:34 PM
s9am_me

here's mine.. i got one on the other side also but its not as bad. Also, the flash on the camera sorta makes it worse than it is. I'm planning to just leave it.. not really worth fixing it IMO. I'll just slap on the nismo front skirt when i get the money
Attached Thumbnails Anyone here scrape their front bumber on a curb yet?-scraped.jpg  
Old 09-17-2003, 08:00 PM
mgl

Originally posted by 300ZX
its not a Z, but still plenty of scraping woes not so much curbs though, but steep dips or ramps in and out of places and such. it still rides at stock height, which just bearly bearly clears most curbs with less than a 1/4" to spare.

hopefully none of you have it this bad

thats how my eclipse front bumper looked like too!!! my '97 eclipse was dropped (more like slammed) with 16s. it was way too low. scraped on everything. i eventually got 17s on the eclipse and it was a little better. i consider the z pretty high in comparison to my eclipse.
no scrapes on the Z yet. (although now that i said that i know i'm gonna scrape real soon)
Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 AM
phile

OK guys, I have similar problems and I need some guidance!!

WHen I was in Niagara falls Canada, I ran over a curb piece that was sticking out by an all you can eat breakfast!!!!! I was ****ing pissed off. It was the corner of an old curb sticking out IN FRONT of the new curb!!! That was bull, and I was VERY angry. It left a 5 inch scrape (1 inch tall) that went from my passnger side right rear fender area (at the bottom, in line with the side skirts). Also, I was in a hurry to get to classes today, so I drove too far into a parking spot and pushed my front lip against a granite curb. It left tons of tiny dents and scratches in it.

I'm putting my car away in november for the winter. Should I get a new front lip/bumper?? How much is the Nismo bumper anyways?

What should I do about the fender scratch?? Suggestions would be helpful!

Last edited by phile; 09-18-2003 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone here scrape their front bumber on a curb yet?